Never Meant To Be

Beautiful Human Boy .

“Yes, Frankie.

Naomi sighed as her cousin floated away out of sight. This was how it was going to be.

Everyday she would hope that Frank would come with her to school and actually hear what the professor was discussing rather than let Naomi explain everything to him and let her submit his homework and other shit for him, but the things she hoped for never did get fulfilled. Yes, without Naomi, Frank would be failing his ass off right now, even if Frank was next.

She walked [floated] the rest of the way alone, listening to her iPod and tapping her foot into the air along with the drums.

As the music played, she thought about Frank and him being the next heir to the Ghost Council. For being the next Head of the Council, 18 was a young age. In fact, Frank was going to be the youngest Head in the history of the Council. To become the head of the council, you have to get a recommendation from 10 members of the Council and have to know the rules, secrets and ways of being a Ghost. And Frank, with his enthusiasm and supportive parents, got not only 10, but 18 recommendations. And that’s a lot, considering that Frank rarely talked to the other Council members, but his name was being whispered everywhere amongst female and male Ghosts, both inside and outside the Iero Clan compound gates.

That Frank Iero can go places.

And well he could, if only he would go to school and sit out all the damn lessons with her and everybody else, Naomi thought. Apparently, getting good grades in tests and exams and passing homework on time is not enough. You actually have to be there. They probably thought Frank was a robot. Or that Naomi was letting him copy her. Which she wasn’t, if you copy, how will you learn?

When Naomi got to school, the bell had already rung. At hearing the annoyingly sharp tinkle of the ringing contraption, the Ghost stopped floating altogether and willed herself to transform into the same light sphere Frank did earlier and zoomed to her classroom.

“How very spiffing to have you with us, miss Iero.” Mr. Browne said calmly as a glowing ball of light that was Naomi burst into the room and shot to the seat near two other students, Mr. Hurley and Mr. Walker.

“I’m sorry, Mister…” What was his name again?

“Browne,” Andy hissed as Jon snickered. Naomi glared at the latter Ghost.

“I’m sorry Mr. Browne, I had to stick around until my cousin left for the Council meeting tonight,” Naomi lied.

Mr. Browne’s face turned from stony to understanding in a flash as he nodded curtly. “I see,” was all he said as Naomi took her seat and took out two notebooks, hers and her cousins. Yes, she had to make two copies of notes for her dear cousin’s benefit, though sometimes she got Jon and Andy to do it for her. Naomi looked at her cousin’s black leather binder with the Iero clan emblem on the lower right-hand corner.

My lying better be worth it, Frankie. She thought as she poked Andy and made him do the double copying.

On the other side of the area, Frank and Bob were aimlessly walking around. A Ghost had a choice to float or just walk transparent, and the boys of the Race usually chose the latter mode of wandering around, for it was easier and it looked better.

“Turn here,” Frank said, turning at a corner into an alley. Bob, being his best friend, followed wherever Frank went and had to ensure his safety. As the two Ghosts walked further down the alley, Frank sensed a presence. It was a different feeling, different from what he felt when he sensed Ghosts around, and not the same feeling when he felt humans around either. And judging from the muffled lisp-like speaking, he knew what this meant.

There were Vampires in that alley.

Remembering that incident earlier when he was with Naomi, Frank walked faster until he found them.

Three Vampires were sitting on different parts of the alley, passing around what looked like a paper pipe. And from the looks of the white makeshift stick, they had only just begun smoking it. Frank looked at the three and recognized the third Vampire from earlier.

“The heir to the Head Vampire’s throne smokes pot?!” Frank thought out loud.

Okay, maybe he thought a tad bit too loud. Brendon turned as saw him. He smirked.

“The heir to the Head Ghost’s throne doesn’t smoke pot?” He shot back. His fellow Vampires snickered.

A Vampire with chin length black hair, pale skin and hazel eyes passed the paper pipe to another with swept up black hair and tanned skin , who passed it to Brendon with a bow after taking a hit.

“We Ghosts are the cleanest of the three Races,” Bob piped up proudly.

“Because you can’t feel anything, you can’t taste anything. You can’t do a thing at night.” Brendon pointed out coldly. Ghosts were useless at night in Brendon’s eyes.

The temperature dropped even lower than earlier. The three Vampires turned to see Frank almost completely transparent, his face contorted into an expression of anger and hate. Bob’s eyes widened.

“Ghosts… Can do more than Vampires can, for your information.” Frank said slowly, his opacity almost completely gone, the temperature almost unbearable. Brendon and his fellow Vampires were relying on their leather jackets for warmth.

“Do we have a understanding, Mr. Ur—”

Frank felt yet another Vampire in their midst. Were they planning to gang up on him and Bob? That would be useless. They wouldn’t feel it anyway. But why was this Vampire sense… Different? Aside from the usual Vampire aura, there was something along with it. The perfume of lilacs, definitely. Not very Vampire-like, he thought.

Bob felt the familiar aura of another Vampire in the area, though he felt the aura was less strong, and this meant that this Vampire… was a girl. He looked up at Frank.

“Who’s there?” Frank said gently. For some reason, the smell of lilacs brought about a relaxing feeling. This Vampire was female.

“Frankie, come back down,” Bob called. Frank looked down. He hadn’t realized that his feet had left the ground and he was hovering three feet above everyone. As Frank’s feet touched he ground, the temperature rose again to its normal state.

“My apologies, Mr. Iero.” Brendon said as he loosened his grip on his jacket. Just as he was about to say something kinder to the Ghost, he heard a small voice mutter and overused cuss word from a far corner of the alley. What in the world was she doing here? To watch him again, probably, and to tell the whole Council what the great Heir, Brendon Urie was doing for extra-curricular activities.

“Marianna, what are you doing here?” He said, not even looking back at the small figure emerging from the shadows.

Marianna was his overprotective cousin. But after all, she did cover for him a lot when he skipped school most times, and Brendon was forever grateful for that.

“Tamara told me to follow you, cousin,” She said in a rather deep tone, which was not Marianna-like of her. She usually yelled and Brendon a lot with her sharp, hyperactive voice. This was enough to make the Vampire Heir turn around to see if it really was his cousin behind him.

“And didn’t I tell you not to call me that? It’s Mari. Mah-ree.” Marianna said, her words directed not to her cousin, but to one of the two Ghosts in the area.

Frank smiled to himself. Ever since he became the Heir, his sensing skills have improved greatly.

Marianna saw the Ghost smile. She looked down at her black leather sandals, concealing her reddening cheeks.

“How very rude of me. Mr. Iero, this is my cousin Marianna. But she prefers Mari,” Brendon said. Frank nodded and smiled at Marianna. At this, the vampire looked down again.

Brendon, completely oblivious of what was running inside that small girl’s head, raised an eyebrow.

“Do you need to feed, Mari?” He asked concernedly.

“No, I did before I got here.” Marianna said, finally looking up. Frank noticed the redness of her cheeks and her big brown eyes. Cute was the word to describe her.

“Why did Tamara tell you to follow me?” Brendon asked, a finger behind him signaling the two other Vampires to throw the joint away.

“What are you doing in an alley where no one is likely to catch you guys doing anything to other guys?” Marianna said in one breath, her eyes twinkling.

“What are you talking about?” Brendon said impatiently, but his cousin’s words did remind him of something… someone.

That boy.

It never occurred to Brendon that he would think that a boy was good-looking. Pretty. He saw a pretty boy. Pretty, in a good way.

It was earlier tonight when he saw him. He was on the way to meet his fellow Vampires Gerard and Pete when he saw a boy come out from a corner and cross the empty road. As the light coming from the streetlights illuminated his tall, slim figure, Brendon saw that he was beautiful. So, so beautiful.

Beautiful human boy. Was he ever going to see him again?

And what street was that? It was near a coffee shop…

“Wake up, oh dear cousin of mine,” Marianna said, standing on tiptoe and snapping her fingers at me.

“Go home, Mari.” Brendon said plainly.

“Tamara isn’t going to let me come home unless you’re with me,” Mari said, her feet on the ground now but her eyes not on her cousin’s. She was looking at something behind Brendon.

Mari is acting… Not-Mari like tonight…

“I have a cousin too, maybe I should call her over?” Frank offered, taking out his cellphone. Oh yes, they were here. Silly Brendon for forgetting them.

“That would be nice, Mr. Iero.” Brendon said, eyeing his cousin. She was looking down at her feet again.

Frank gave Brendon a small smile and pressed 2 on speed dial. He put his phone to his ear and heard Naomi’s phone ringing.

“Frankie?” Naomi’s said after three rings.

“Hey Naomi,” He said. “Can you come over here at the alley? I want you to meet some people.”

He heard Naomi sigh. “Are they some big people from the Council? Because if they are, I’m out.”

“No, they’re Vampires.”

Silence on the other line.

“Ten minutes.” Naomi said and hung up.

Frank put his phone back in his pocket and looked at Bob. “Naomi’s going to come in a few minutes, watch out for her please.” He said. Bob nodded and leant on a nearby wall facing the alley’s entrance.

Naomi stared at her phone. Frank was with Vampires? In an alley? She was getting ideas.

“Who was that?” Andy asked.

“Cousin.” Naomi said simply, still staring at her phone.

“What did he want?” Jon said excitedly. The mention of Frank got him energetic. It’s not everyday that your friend’s cousin gets to be the Heir of your Council at a young age.

“I’m meeting him at the alley. He… he wants me to meet some people.”

“Past Heirs? High Council Members?” Jon said, his eyes widening.

“Vampires,” Naomi said, finally looking up at his two friends.

“What?!” Andy and Jon said in unison.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

comments = love . right ? right .