Mental Fiction Follows Me

Chapter 16: Holding Cell

Syd’s POV:

“This sucks,” I mumbled and let my head fall over on Aiden’s.

“Tell me about it,” Deandra said and stretched out a bit.

“This really wasn’t in my plans for tonight,” Nikkita said, and we all knew what those plans were.

“Hey, coppers! Can I have one of those tin cups?! Don’t give me that look!” Tiana yelled.

“They don’t share their tin cups,” I said. Tiana walked over to where Nikkita was sitting and sank down defeated. I heard someone mumble, and I looked over at the girl who had stumbled upon our fight at the very end. Her pale green eyes met mine, and she tucked a lock of blond and red hair behind her ear. She bit down on her lip ring and looked away.

“Hey, are you okay?” Aiden asked her.

“Yeah, I just wish I was somewhere else,” the girl said. Aiden stood up, letting my head fall, and sat down on the bench beside her.

“Don’t we all wish that? How’d you get mixed up in this?” Aiden asked her.

“I was trying to get into the bar, when some guy grabbed my leg. I’m not sure which side he was on, yours or the other one,” she said.

“Well, it couldn’t have been one of our guys, because all of us girls were on the same side,” Aiden said.

“Oh, okay,” the girl said.

“So, what’s your name?” Aiden asked.

“Krystal Flowers, but I prefer Krys,” she said.

“Nice to meet you, Krys,” Aiden said.

“Nice to meet you too,...umm...”

“Aiden. I’m Aiden, and these are my friends Deandra, Nikkita, Tiana, and Syd,” Aiden said, pointing to everyone as she went.

“How long have we been here?” Krys asked.

“Umm...I don’t know...four hours? It’s like, three in the morning,” Nikkita said.

“Oh shit,” Krys mumbled and dropped her head into her hands.

“What?” Aiden asked.

“I’m late, again. Sue’s definitely going to fire me this time,” Krys said.

“You have a job at three in the morning?” Tiana asked.

“No, I have a job at two in the morning. I just wanted to get a few drinks before going back into work,” Krys said.

“Back into work?” Deandra asked.

“I work a bartending job on the weekends, from twelve to twelve. During the week I work half my day at Wal-Mart, and I work the other half as a waitress. I got lucky and didn’t have to go in at Wal-Mart, but Sue needs me for a double-shift at the restaurant, and I’m late!” Krys said.

“So, you’re worried about getting fired?” I asked, standing up.

“Very. I need this job. The rent’s due, along with some other bills, and I can’t afford to lose a job now,” Krys said.

“Why don’t you come with us?” Nikkita asked.

“What?” we all asked.

“What? The girl needs some help, so why don’t we help her?” Nikkita asked.

“She’s got a point,” I said and walked over to the metal bars of our holding cell.

“You’re all about saving the innocent, huh, granny?” I heard Deandra ask.

“Damn right, youngin,” I replied.

“No, I couldn’t ask you to do that,” Krys said.

“You’re not. We’re asking you,” Aiden said.

“I’ve got it! We can fire Bobby! He’s always complaining! ;My feet hurt, why’s it so hot, this is so stupid.’ He doesn’t even like Avenged, so he shouldn’t be a merch boy! Let’s fire him!” Tiana yelled.

“Sounds good to me. I’m sure Matt wouldn’t mind,” Nikkita said.

“I don’t know...” Krys said.

“Come on! A chance to see the country, an easy job, lots of money, and two busses full of hot guys!” Aiden yelled.

“I better be the only hot guy!” I heard Johnny yell a few cells down.

“You are, babe!” Aiden yelled back.

“So, what do you say?” Nikkita asked.

“Um...sure,” Krys said. I smiled to myself and wrapped my good hand around the cold bar. I could hear someone talking, and the southern accent reminded me of home. I strained my hears to hear the conversation, and realized that someone was trying to get us out.

Tara’s POV:

“Come on, Donnie,” I said, talking to the officer in front of me. Let’s just say that Donnie and I know each other very well.

“It’s out of my hands. You’re lucky you’re not in that cell with them,” Donnie said.

“I know that, and I appreciate it, Donnie, you know I do. But half of those people don’t deserve to be in there,” I said.

“Let me guess. Only your brother and his friends really deserve it,” Donnie said.

“Yes! Paul started the whole thing, I was there. They jumped on two of the guys, and then their friends came outside to help. Wouldn’t you help your friends if they had been ganged up on?” I asked.

“Yes, of course I would, but I can’t just let them all go. And you’re in trouble anyway with the judge, you know that. What’s he going to say when he hears about this?” Donnie asked.

“Is he going to hear about this?” I asked. Donnie looked down at his watch and then back up at me.

“Yes, in another three hours. He’s coming in specially at six, just for these people,” Donnie said and pointed to the three holding cells down the hallway.

“Good. I can tell him what happened and have him release me from my brother’s care,” I said.

“You know that’s not possible. Not after that little not-so-peaceful protest on the capital,” Donnie said.

“I have a good reason,” I said stubbornly. I crossed my arms while trying to think of that good reason, and then let out a hiss of pain as my closed fist swept over the top of my tender forearm.

“Tara, you okay?” Donnie asked and came around the counter.

“No, my good reason is throbbing,” I said and glared up at him. I wasn’t really mad at him, but I knew how to work him. Donnie pushed my sleeves up and looked at the nearly black bruises wrapping around my arms. Now, lately I haven’t been outside much during the day, so I’ve gotten really pale, which made the bruises stand out more than they usually would.

“Did Paul...?” Donnie asked, and then paused.

“No, me and the Easter Bunny got into a fight over some peeps,” I said sarcastically.

“Okay, fine. I’ll put in a special word with the judge, but that’s all I can do, okay?” Donnie said.

“Thanks,” I said.

“Anytime, kiddo,” he said and ruffled my hair.

“Can I go down and talk to them?” I asked.

“If you want to,” Donnie said with a shrug.

“Thanks!” I yelled and ran down the hallway. I went right past my brother and his friend’s holding cell and slid into a stop in front of the one holding Brian and all of his friends. And let me tell you, there were a lot of them.

“Brian!” I yelled.

“Hey, Honey!” he yelled back. I thought about flipping him off, but then I thought better of it. Instead, I just waved him over.

“What’s up?” I asked as he stopped in front of me.

“Why are you out?” Brian asked me.

“Because I was never in. It’s all about who you know,” I said with a wide smile.

“So, what’s the news?” Brian asked.

“A friend of mine is going to put in a good word with the judge, who we’ll all see in three more hours, at six,” I said.

“Three more hours?!” Brian yelled.

“You’re a bunch of big, strong guys. You can handle three more little hours on a bench,” I said. Brian glared at me while I smiled back.

“So anyone want any refreshments?” I asked. Some guy jumped up and put his face right next to Brian’s. I couldn’t see his eyes because of the humongous sunglasses he was wearing, and some of his curly black hair drifted through the bars.

“Could you really? I’m dying of thirst,” the guy said.

“I can only get water,” I said.

“That’s perfect!” he yelled.

“Anyone else?” I asked. I counted nine hands, and then I slowly nodded my head while trying to think of how to carry nine water bottles without dropping them. Donnie had to help me, and all of the guys looked a little better now that they had something to drink.

“I’m going to find Syd,” I told Brian after Donnie walked away.

“Okay. I’m sure she’s still trying to figure out who helped me out,” Brian said with a small laugh.

“Well, I wouldn’t want to keep her waiting,” I said.

“See you around, kiddo!” Brian yelled after me. I waved over my shoulder and went down to the last holding cell, where all the girls were.

Syd’s POV:

“Greetings, female warriors!” the same girl I heard talking earlier yelled. I was still standing at the bars, and I looked down and caught her hyper dark brown eyes. Her dark brown hair was still as wavy as ever, and I still knew who she was, even with all the new piercings and tattoos.

“Well, if it isn’t little Tara Jakobs. Still short as hell, I see,” I said.

“And if it ain’t Syd Haner. Still taller than hell, I see,” she said, smiling up at me.

“So it was you that came to my cousin’s rescue,” I said. She shrugged, still as modest as ever.

“If it had been just Brian and Paul, I would’ve cheered as Brian kicked his ass. But...Paul doesn’t know how to fight fair, and I had a feeling you’d be anywhere Brian was,” Tara said.

“Yeah, now that I’m back,” I said.

“Back?” Tara asked, confused. Then I remembered all the talks we’d had as teenagers. Just Brian, Tara, and I-running around and causing any kind of trouble we could. Brian and I had always planned on staying together, like a family should.

“I’ll tell you later. What’s going on out there?” I asked.

“The judge is coming in early just for all of this. He’ll be here at six, in another three hours,” Tara said.

“Three more hours?! You’ve gotta be kidding me!” Nikkita yelled.

“Don’t worry, babe! I’ll make up for every hour we’re in here!” Matt yelled.

“Please let the judge be another hour late,” Nikkita whispered to herself. The rest of the girls started laughing, including Tara.

“You’ve got some weird friends, Syd,” Tara said.

“Not as weird as my old ones,” I said and smiled at her.

“Good point,” she said and nodded her head.

“Are you gong to introduce us or not? Or is your memory that bad now?” Deandra asked.

“Hey! Respect your elders!” I yelled.

“Did I miss something?” Tara asked.

“Nothing important,” I said.

“So...who are your friends?” Tara asked.

“Oh, this is Deandra, Tiana, Nikkita, Aiden, and Krys,” I said, making sure to point with my good arm as I went.

“Nice to meet yall,” Tara said and gave a small wave.

“This is Tara, one of mine and Brian’s friends from back in the day,” I said.

“Hi!” everyone yelled.

“Is she going to travel with us too?” Tiana asked.

“Is there someone else you want to fire?” I asked.

“That vendor dude gives me the creeps,” Tiana said.

“I’m sure Tara’s got more important things to do,” I said.

“That, and they won’t let me out of the state,” she said with a smile.

“I guess I’m not the only one who needs to do some talking,” I said.

“Probably not. Look, I’d love to stick around, but I’m going to see if can do some good elsewhere. See you in a few hours, okay?” Tara asked.

“Sure, kiddo,” I said.

“See ya!” she yelled as she ran off. I watched as she disappeared, and then I turned around to lean my back against the bars.

“You really do make some weird friends,” Tiana said.

“I thought you were one of my friends?” I asked.

“My point exactly,” Tiana said.

“Come on, granny. It’s time for your nap,” Deandra said and patted the empty spot beside her.

“Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you,” I said as I walked over to where she was. I stretched out on the small bench, my feet dangling off the side. It was going to be a very long three hours...