Mental Fiction Follows Me

Chapter 2: Pit Stop

“This doesn’t look like California.” I turned around and smiled at the person standing behind me. She crossed her arms and looked up at me.

“That’s because it’s not, Aiden,” I said.

“Why are we in Texas?” Aiden asked.

“Pit stop,” I said and walked out of the airport. There was a man leaning against a taxi with a sign that simply said “SYD.” I walked over to him and put one of my bags down. I stuck out my hand, and the man reached for it with a wary look in his eye.

“Pleasure to meet you, ma’am,” he said.

“Likewise,” I said. He opened the trunk, and Aiden and I threw our bags in. We got into the back of the taxi, and I handed a piece of paper to our driver. He nodded his head and then left.

“Why are we in Texas?” Aiden asked again.

“Did you know I’m originally from Texas?” I asked as I looked out the window.

“No, I don’t think you ever told me,” Aiden said.

“Yep. I was born and raised here. Mom left for California to live closer to her brother after I joined the army though. Said she needed to be around family,” I said. I was glad Mom had moved. I didn’t like the idea of her being alone.

“Here you go, ma’am,” the driver said after a thirty minute drive.

“Aiden, you don’t mind waiting, do you?” I asked as I reached for the door handle.

“Of course not,” Aiden said and smiled reassuringly up at me. I nodded my head and climbed out of the car. The driver popped the trunk for me, and I dug around in my bag until I found what I was looking for. I grabbed the small square and started walking towards the front door.

”Don’t do this, Syd! Are you trying to drive yourself crazy?!” Sage yelled.

”Don’t listen to her, Syd. You’re doing the right thing,” Lillian whispered.

”Thank you, Lils,” I thought as I raised my hand. I gave three quick knocks and then waited. I heard yelling and some laughter from the other side, and then a woman opened the door. Bright blonde hair spilled over her shoulders, and warm brown eyes met mine.

“Can I help you?” the woman asked.

“Mrs. Lutz?” I asked.

“Yes?” she asked with a questioning look.

“My name is Sydney Haner. I was a member of Danny’s team,” I said quietly. Her eyes clouded over, and her bottom lip began to tremble.

“They told me there was only one survivor. They said you were the one who pulled Danny out. You were the only reason we were able to give him a proper burial,” she said as tears spilled from her eyes.

“Yes, ma’am. It didn’t seem right to leave Danny like that. He was like a brother to me,” I said.

“Would you like to come in?” she asked as she wiped her tears away.

“I would, but I’m in a hurry to get home. I wanted to give you this though,” I said and extended one hand towards her. She took the CD case from my hand and looked down at it.

“Number five was written for you, ma’am. By Danny. I thought you might like it,” I said. She ran her finger over the smooth case, and then looked up at me.

“Thank you. Sydney,” she said slowly. I started to reply, but her arms wrapped around me in a tight hug. I slowly put my arms around her, and then she took a step back.

“Thanks again, for everything,” she said.

“You’re welcome,” I said and lowered my head. I heard her whisper a goodbye, and then the door closed.

”There! Do you feel better now?!” Sage yelled.

”Leave her alone! She did what was right!” Lillian yelled back.

”Would both of you shut up?!” I thought as I walked back to the car. My head went silent, and I climbed back into the car. I gave the driver another address, and he left. I leaned back in the seat and rubbed my throbbing temples.

“Syd, you okay?” Aiden asked. I turned my head and saw her intense blue eyes studying me. I was close enough to her to see the purplish ring around the bright blue.

“Yeah. Sage and Lillian are just arguing, as usual,” I said with a dry laugh.

“I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that,” Aiden said.

“I’m still not used to it,” I said. The car fell silent again, and I continued to rub my temples and hopefully release some tension.

I had been hearing voices for as long as I could remember. Sage was actually the first voice I had ever heard. I had been three at the time. I was trying to sneak a cookie before dinner. They were high up on the counter, so I had gotten a chair. I had heard laughter, but I was the only one in the room. Sage then encouraged me to reach higher. Then Lillian had scolded me for being a bad girl.

My mother’s face froze when I told her about the two voices in my head. Two seconds later, her face crumbled and she began crying uncontrollably. My father, the man from Texas who had swept her off her feet and carried her away, had heard voices too. Something happened over the years, and his voices turned on him. He eventually went insane, and he died in a mental institution not long after my first birthday.

My voices had never turned on me though. They were the two sides of me. Sage was my angry, naughty side. Lillian was my sweet, good side. Together they completed me. They were my conscience. My best friends. Sometimes though, they annoyed the hell out of me.

”Living in your head ain’t no picnic,” Sage said.

”Do you always have to be so mean?” Lillian asked.

”How about shutting up, Ms. Goody-Goody?”

”I’ll be quiet the day you do.”

”Then we’ll be at this for years.”

”It’s not that hard to just be quiet every once in a while.”

”She’s got a point. Shut up, Sage,” I thought.

”Yes, Master,” Sage said sarcastically and went silent. I could hear Lillian sigh in relief, and then things were quiet again.

Not very many people knew about the voices. Mom did, of course. Her brother, Papa Gates knew and so did his wife, Aunt Jan. My wonderful cousin Brian knew about the voices too. Mom’s brother’s family had always spent the month of July at our house in Texas. I was very close to all of them, and Brian was like my best friend. Mom had been planning on moving back home to California for years, but she didn’t make the move until I left. Danny and Aiden had both found out on accident. They had caught me arguing with them, and then I had told them the truth.

“We’re here, ma’am,” the driver said. I snapped out of my thoughts and shook a sleeping Aiden. She looked around, realized we were at the airport, and got out of the car without saying a word.

Before long we were on the plane and headed towards California. Aiden had situated herself in her seat and had some headphones on. I could hear the music playing softly, and I wasn’t surprised at the band. Aiden loved Avenged Sevenfold as much as I did.

“You should get some sleep. I haven’t seen you sleep since we left,” Aiden said sleepily. She was thinking as a friend, and I couldn’t blame her for that. I moved a little in my seat and spoke without looking at her.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Aiden,” I said quietly. A few moments of silence passed, and then Aiden spoke again.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything by it,” she said.

“I know. Just get some sleep. I’ll wake you before we land,” I said.

“Okay. G’night, Syd,” Aiden mumbled.

“Good night,” I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, this one ain't so good either. lol. Things pick up around Chapter 4.