If You Were A Man

One Shot

If I were a boy
Even just for a day
I’d roll out of bed in the morning
And throw on what I wanted and go


Kevin Jonas heard his alarm yelling for him to get up and he rolled out of bed. Showered and dressed he was ready to head out, bound for his studio where he would meet with his star artist, Ruby Ezmeralda.

Before leaving he quickly grabbed a few pieces of the bacon and a cup of the orange juice that his wife, Mary, had prepared for him.

She smiled at him fondly, "Good-bye sweetheart. Have a good day at work and be careful." He meerly offered a polite smile and walked out the door of the their L.A. apartment and she sighed.

Drink beer with the guys
And chase after girls
I’d kick it with who I wanted
And I’d never get confronted for it
Because they’d stick up for me


At a bar with his friends and co-workers, Kevin sat next to Ruby. He said something and she giggled. His phone vibrated and looked at the caller id seeing a familiar name flash. He turned off the phone and Ruby asked him who it was.

"Nobody important." he answered and winked, slipping his Blackberry back into his pocket.

"Buy you a drink?" he asked and she nodded smiling.

If I were a boy
I think I could understand
How it feels to love a girl
I swear I’d be a better man


Mary sat at home with her toddler, Brendan, and looked through photo albums from the years that Kevin and her had dated. They hadn't been to dinner in months and she was missing it. He always worked so late.

I’d listen to her
Cause I know how it hurts
When you lose the one you wanted
Cause he’s taken you for granted
And everything you had got destroyed


She decided she needed to clear her head and went for a walk, leaving Brendan with a neighbor.

If I were a boy
I would turn off my phone
Tell everyone its broken
So they think
that I was sleeping alone


"Let's go to your place." Kevin suggested.

She shook her head, "I have a friend staying and everyone knows that you're married."

"So what if I'm married." He whispered into her ear and she giggled.

I’d put myself first
And make the rules as I go
Cause I know that she’d be faithful
Waiting for me to come home


He knew it was late, but blew off the time because he knew Mary would wait up for him as always. After all, it was only, he looked at his watch, midnight.

"Let me walk you home." Kevin said, getting his jacket and hers.

She smiled.

If I were a boy
I think I could understand
How it feels to love a girl
I swear I’d be a better man


Mary had come back to the apartment again, but he still wasn't home. She sighed. Probably late night studio session with Ruby. She thought. She walked on and passed the different houses. She saw a couple walking hand in hand and smiled to herself as they looked so happy.

The man leaned in to kiss the woman and his face had turned towards Mary and she gasped.

"No." she whispered. As the couple kissed, the man lifted his left hand to carres her cheek and a tear rolled down her face. Their wedding ring was still there.

She put her head down and when the couple pulled away she turned and ran home as fast as she could, crying hysterically.

Cause I know how it hurts
When you lose the one you wanted
Cause he’s taken you for granted
And everything you had got destroyed


She knocked frantically on the door of the neighboring apartment. It swung open and her neighbor, Arlene stood in shock and concern. she pulled Mary into a hug for comfort and closed the door behind her.

"What's wrong baby?" she asked her.

"K- Kevin is ch- cheating on m- m- me." she explained through sobs.

"No, he wouldn't Mary."

But Mary nodded and relaxed as her sobs subsided. "I saw him with Ruby." her voice cracking in the end.

"Is Brendan okay?" she asked and Arlene nodded.

"Sound asleep, and he can stay the night. Do you want to stay here too?" Mary shook her head.

"No, I have to face him." Arlene nodded and rubbed circles on her back as Mary messaged her temples.

It’s a little too late for you to come back
Say its just a mistake
Think I forgive you like that
If you thought I would wait for you
You thought wrong


Kevin slung his jacket over his shoulder as he shut the door softly behind him thinking Mary would be sound asleep, but low and behold, she sat in the dining room which was next to the adjoining living room.

He smiled when he saw her. "You didn't have to wait up."

"What kept you?" she asked simply.

"Last minute changes to Rubies album." he stated simply.

She looked down at her lap. "Lie."

"What?" he asked, confused. She never questioned him.

"You were with Ruby alright." she said.

"Working on her album, like I said." he gestured towards the door.

"That's not what I saw." she said, feeling like tears were about to fall.

But you're just a boy
You don’t understand


"Get out." she said standing.

"What? Baby, what are you talking about?" he asked, lifting her chin.

She jerked away from him. "I saw you with Ruby."

His eyes widened in shock, but he quickly composed himself. "Baby, it was nothing."

How it feels to love a girl

She shook her head. "But it was."

He looked appaled. "Why are you so jealous?!" he yelled.

"Jealous?! Of that slut?!" she screamed a few tears falling softly.

"Don't talk about her that way!" he shot.

"You know damn well that that's exactly what she is, Kevin!" he stayed silent, but angry.

"Now get out of this house and I never wanna see you again unless you're signing divorce papers!"

Someday you’ll wish you were a better man

He turned his back and walked to the door slamming it on his way out.

Mary backed up against the wall and slid down sobbing quietly to herself at what she had just done. She thought she had loved him. She thought he had loved her, but she thought wrong.

You don’t listen to her
You don’t care how it hurts


Joe met Kevin down the street and picked him up.

"What happened?" he asked.

"I lost her." Kevin said hoarsely and Joe could see that his brother had been crying.

"How?" he asked softly, keeping his eyes on the road.

His lip quivered. "I made a mistake." he wiped his eyes. "Sh-" he took a deep breath. "She caught me with Ruby."

"What did you do with Ruby?" Joe asked warningly.

"I just kissed her, but she saw and-"

"Kevin Jonas! I canNOT believe you!"

Until you lose the one you wanted
Cause you've taken her for granted


"If you were a real man, Kev, you would go back and do something about the way you acted." Joe said firmly.

"She won't let me. I- I thought she loved me enough to give me a second chance, but I guess not." he said.

"Well, maybe you just don't love her enough, Kevin." he said, showing his disappointment in his brother.

And everything you had got destroyed

Kevin and Mary both cried themselves to sleep that night. They cried for the memories they had made. They cried for the mistakes that both of them had made. They cried for the love that was still held in each other's hearts. They cried for the fact that they still held each other's hearts.

But you're just a boy…
♠ ♠ ♠
The song I used was 'If I Were A Boy' by Beyonce
In reality, I know Kevin Jonas would never do this.

-Taylor xo