I'm Not Bulletproof

I'm Not Bulletproof

*beep beep beep*

I sigh rather loudly as I try to wake up. All night I could not stop thinking.

I thought about my revenge on Katerzyna to my thoughts being reveled to Alexi and finishing off at the boy himself. He does not seem like the person to…harm himself like that.

Yeah, he seems like he has a bit of anger problems, which I have sensed that since day one, but to cut his wrist into confetti? Never would have guessed that.

I slowly rise out of bed, more like cot, to see Alexi missing. I’m usually the first one up. How late is it? I quickly glance over at my alarm clock; it reads 6:50am, the usual time I wake up.

I drag myself downstairs and into the living room. All of the lights were off and no one was in there.

I notice the slight burning smell linger throughout the room. I dash quickly into the room I believe that was the source of the odor. Oh god, I hope the house doesn’t go into flames.

I stop at the doorway to see Alexi standing in front of the stove, frying pan in hand with what looks like eggs. They were a light brown and looked very unappetizing. I hope he isn’t planning on eating those.

“Sir,” he points to the dining room. I do as he says and sit down at the table.

He sets a plate down in front of me, followed by a fork and a spoon. I cringe slightly.

I know realize why he is up so early and why he is cooking. Somehow, I forgot that he knows about my eating problem.

Alexi throws some scrambled eggs on the plate as well as half of grapefruit.

The eggs looked as if they have already been digested. At least the grapefruit looks decent…

“Eat,” he says and takes a seat across from me. So now he plans on watching me eat? Like they do in prison?

I grab the fork and poke slightly at the eggs. I was checking if they were cooked all the way. Even if they were brown, the pan could have been bad. And they were over cooked.

“I don’t have all day,” he jokes. I lift the fork into my mouth and try to chew the eggs. They were chewy and gross.

What a great way to make me eat.

I guess it’s the thought that counts. I was nice and non-assholeness of him to make me breakfast, as shitty as it may be.

I somehow manage to finish my breakfast. It was gross, but he made it for me. No one besides my parents has made me food before. I put the fork down and he smiles proudly. No reason to feel that great about it…

It was 7:45 after I finished my breakfast. My heart begins to beat fast as I realize I have fifteen minutes to get ready for school.

I run upstairs and throw on whatever is in my suitcase. I ended up picking a red and black stripped shirt along with black yoga pants. I had no idea I packed my yoga pants.

I quickly throw the clothes on and apply a little bit of eyeliner and run back downstairs. Alexi stood there in the same clothes as he wore last night.

I grab my bag and run out to the car.

“Alexi, hurry up!” I tell. He was taking his time getting out of the house. He gives me a questioning look.

I sigh in annoyance, “what?”

“School is only a ten minute walk, Triinu,” he states matter-of-factly.

“It’s almost eight o’ clock; we’re going to be late!” I yell once again. I have this thing where I have to be early for everything. I guess it is a fear of being late.

“Walking will do us good,” he says while grabbing my arm and leading me down the sidewalk. I sigh again and quicken my pace.

Before I know it, Alexi is far behind me and there is no sight of him, what so ever.

I gasp, “I don’t know where the school is.”

It’s only my second day and the walk home yesterday doesn’t count. I was looking down the whole time. I panic and start to sprint to wherever I think the school may be.

I hear a bell ring, “the school bell!” I run to the left. After a few seconds of running, I see the school building. I look at my cell phone; it reads 8:15am. Oh my god, I’m fifteen minutes late.

I have never been late to a class before.

I run inside the school and into my first period class. I stand outside of the door to see if my teacher is there. Maybe I can sneak in or something. Then I look towards the back of the room. I see Alexi sitting there with his body slouched down in the chair. That bastard beat me. He notices my presence and waves.

Just then the teacher opens the door. Should I explain myself or what?

“Triinu, take a seat,” my teacher says. Alexi moves his bad from the seat next to him and points to it. I really don’t want to sit next to him, but I want to know why he left me alone completely lost.

I take the seat and he pulls out a sheet of paper. I know damn well he isn’t going to take notes from the board. I’ve only been in class for ten minutes and I already have a page and a half of notes down. He folds the piece of paper and passes it to me.

“Hey, why were you late?” I read.

“Because I got lost. You left me.” I write back and pass the note back to him.

“You were the one who decided to run.”

“Yeah, maybe I didn’t want to be late.”

“There’s a short cut that I took, I’ll show it to you when we walk home.” Alexi passes the note back to me.

“Fine.”

“My friends and I are going to be hanging out at the bleacher after school, you should come.”

I think about that. I know I have social problems but I have to start talking to people eventually.

I roll the note into a ball and put it in the corner of my desk. Passing notes is not my thing.

I continue to write more notes from the board.

I sigh aloud. I am really sick of being this person. I’m sick of trying to impress everybody with my intelligence and good manners.

But most of all, I’m sick of putting on this fake façade for the world to see.

It’s time for the real Triinu Koit to come out.