I'm Not Bulletproof

I'm Not Bulletproof

“Triinu, I bet you’re excited to see all of your family. It’s been a while,” Mrs. Laiho.

We are on our way to the restaurant where my family will meet up with us. I am dreading tonight. Or course the only people in my family I like aren’t going to be there; my mother got a baby sitter for the twins.

“Yes, I’m happy to see them,” I lie. I will admit I really hate lying to her but I have to do it.

At least I’m only fooling her. Alexi knows how I feel towards my family and so does Katerzyna.

I notice Alexi pull his cell phone out of his pocket and begin typing something in.

I always wanted text messaging on my phone, but my father won’t pay for it. And anyway, who do I have to text?

Alexi passes his cell phone to me and motions me to read it. I looked at the screen; it read ‘are you going to be ok?’ I smirk and typed ‘no’ as my response.

He slowly puts his hand on top of mine. If he made the move any faster, my sister would notice and knowing her she would tell my parents about it.

She would probably make up a lie like ‘Alexi and I are having sex’ or something like that. She is still going to get what’s coming to her. I just don’t know what or when.

I think Alexi would help me on that too. He doesn’t like her either.

After a twenty minute car ride, we finally arrive at the restaurant. I look around the parking lot to see if my parent’s car is here.

“They’re not here yet,” my sister says. The tone in her voice made my blood start to warm. I hated her voice so much. I would rather listen to a rake being dragged across a chalk board with a pair of head phones in my ears.

That’s saying a lot.

“Calm down,” he whispers in my ear. Katerzyna huffs and begins to walk towards the entrance of the restaurant.

“I can’t fucking stand her,” I say through gritted teeth.

“I know,” Alexi moves his hand from my shoulder down my arm slowly.

We walk hand in hand into the restaurant. I instantly drop his hand from mine as soon as I see my brother Dimitri in the distance.

“Triinu!” Dominik greets. He embraces me in a big hug; my face barely meets the bottom of this chest.

I forgot what it was like being so short. Being with Alexi makes me feel average in length. He is only about an inch or two taller than me.

“I missed you,” I say into his stomach.

I sit down next to Dominik and Alexi takes a seat next to me.

This is the start of a very long dinner.