To Be Loved... What More Could You Ask For?

Back Then And Now

"So why did you want to come here?" I asked as William wrapped his arm around my waist. We had just reached our old elementary school. This was the place where William and I had first met. My eyes caught the swing set where it had all started.

"Amber" the boy I later learned was named Dylan sneered "what kind of name is that?"

"Leave me alone" I wined as my butt hit the ground, dirt getting all over the blue jeans and white shirt my mom had dressed me in that morning.

"What are you going to do?" Dylan asked "Tell the teacher? Tattle Tell!"

"Leave her alone"

I looked up slightly scared by the tall figure who now stood in front of me. He was tall enough to be in the first grade and first graders ate kindergartners like me for lunch.

"S-Sorry" Dylan stuttered not so tough now that he was faced with a child even taller than he was "Is she your sister?"

"No" the tall figured answered "she is my friend so leave her alone!"

Right before my eyes Dylan and his group of playground bullies took off and I was left with the tall figure who had saved me.

"Are you okay?" it asked.

"F-Fine" I answered moving away a little after quickly getting to my feet.

"I'm William" he smiled showing a few baby teeth that he had recently lost.

"I'm Amber" I answered quietly.

"Would you like to be my best friend?" William asked happily.

Even back then with his missing teeth and awkward height there was something a bout William that made your heart melt.

"Sure" I answered smiling.

William had become my first friend and we had been together ever since.


"Memories" he smiled "We have a lot of them here"

I smiled back "Those were the days. So carefree without a problem in the world"

"We got teased a lot though" he smirked and began singing in a childish voice "Amber and William sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G"

"Shut up" I giggled hitting his arm playfully.

He did in fact stop but at the same time grabbed me by the waist, pulling me close and planting playful kisses all over my face and neck as I squirmed unsuccessfully to get away.

"I saw my parents kissing last night" I said softly looking down at my hands.

"Eww" William wrinkles his nose. Although we were now in first grade we was still taller than everyone else in class, now looking more like a second grader "Doesn't your dad know girls have cooties?"

"We do not" I pouted glaring at him.

"Do too" he teased and pulled on one of my pigtails lightly.

"How do you know?" I asked stomping my foot. "Have you ever kissed a girl?"

At that William and I both became silent as we both stared at each other. In a second William had pecked me on the lips and taken off running in the direction of his house, which at the time was only down the street from my own.


"Stop you have cooties" I giggled.

"If I do then you got them from me a long time ago" he chuckled and kissed me once more.

"Girl don't get cooties" I smiled "We went over this in first grade, remember?"

"Oh I remember" he smiled "You kissed me"

"No" I corrected "You kissed me and ran away like a little chicken"

"I didn't run away in high school" he smirked.

"Hey Shortie" William smiled awkward at me.

"I know that look" I smiled "What are you up to Beckett?"

We were Juniors in high school by now. William had become the school pretty boy and star of the baseball team but it never had any effect on our friendship. He hung out with me more than anyone still both in school and outside of it. We still told each other everything.

"I wanted to ask you a favor"

"Sure, but you know it's gonna cost you" I smirked "Whats the favor?"

He was silent for a moment before blurting out "Will you have sex with me?"

I raised an eyebrow in question "Why?"

He looked awkward again and I had to admit it was kinda cute. He was standing there in his black and white striped long sleeve shirt and baggy pants. Sadly once he had joined the baseball team he had stopped wearing those girl jeans I loved so much.

"The guys on the team have been giving me a lot of crap about...well you can guess"

I smirked. William like me was a virgin having never really been in a relationship where we felt it was worth sleeping with the other person.

"Becky Wecky not like being teased by his friends?" I asked, William knowing full well i didn't care for any of the guys on his team.

"Forget it" he growled and started to head toward the door but I grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"What-" I cut him off by standing on my tiptoes and kissing him.

"Common" I said softly "My parents are gone until late tonight"

His face lit up a little "I'll make this up to you, i promise"

I shrugged "Just promise you'll stay a while after wards"

"As long as you want" he smiled and kissed me again"


"Too bad your lazy ass got up caught" I laughed.

That had been the one night in our entire friendships where William and without the use of alcohol had done anything like that. It was the one time I felt like he was mine the way I wanted him but would never admit. I wanted him to be more than just my beat friend and that was why I had told him yes. Plus, I would have rather it had been with me than some skank that hung around the baseball team.

"I was tired" he pouted.

"Same excuse you told my parents when they found us cuddled up in my bed" I laughed kissing his cheek.

"What was I suppose to say?" he asked "Sorry you caught me and your daughter after we had sex? Maybe you shouldn't leave her home alone so much?"

I shook my head and smiled "I love you William"

"How much?" he asked softly.

I wrinkled my nose confused "Why would you ask me that?"

I watched as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small blue box, my heart beginning to race. He opened it and I was stareing at a diamond and ruby ring, the ruby in the shape of a heart. My eyes connected with William's, he had a light smirk on his face as he watched me.

"It's beautiful William" I said softly.

William leaned closer to me so his lips were next to my ear and whispered "Will you marry me Shortie?"
♠ ♠ ♠
April? >_<
Jeeze why did it take me so long to update?
Feel free to shoot me, kick me or yell at me.
I understand. I am going to try and start updating this at least every other day if not every day.
=]