Status: Should I keep or delete?

Until I Make It Home to You

When I'm Gone

The next day

I’m so nervous; I’m leaving tomorrow to join the Iraq war. The only good news is that the Berry brother’s are joining me. I’ve been spending my time in the weightlifting room. It’s the only place I can relax without any worry. But I know I have to leave early so I can get packing and ready for this long trip and adventure ahead of me. Once I started to lift seventy pounds, Matt walks in. “Hey Nick, what’re lifting these days?” he asked while I placed the weights back in place.

“A little more than seventy. So, what are you doing here?” I asked.

“I’m here because I’m worried about you. Ever since you got that letter from Andrew you’ve been kind of distant. When we get to Iraq you can’t be like this. If you do you’ll get hurt or worse you’ll get killed,” he said with a sad look while walking over to me.

“Don’t worry, I’m going to be fine. I just need to get my head out of the clouds. So what’s Jason up too?” I asked. I’ve been worried about him lately. He’s been talking to his brother and sending tons of letter to his family lately. It’s almost like he predicts he will get killed in battle.

“Well, I guess you can say he’s ok. I know you’re worried about him but worry about yourself first. And you should contact your brother to tell him that you’re heading to war,” with that he left me to my thoughts. Maybe he’s right, Maybe I should write to my brother just incase. This may be my last birthday or my last time to talk to them. So I walked back to the bunks to get paper and a pen so I can write Andrew a letter. Once I did I started to write:

Dear Andrew,
I wanted to tell you that I received your letter. I forgive you and know that I will remember you. I’m heading to Iraq tomorrow and I’m not sure when I’m coming back or if I’m coming back. I met two new friends here. Their names are Matt and Jason. The one thing I ask of you is that you remember me and not to forget who you are. I’ll be looking forward to your letter.
Yours truly,
Ashley


After I finished it I walked to the mailbox and sent it. I then decided to go to the cafeteria and get something to eat.

Bunks

I just returned back from dinner. I sat at a new table with two girls named Sarah and Amanda. They were really nice to me and wished me luck when I told them I was leaving tomorrow. They told me that they wont be going to war but staying on the base. Now that I’m back in the bunks I decided I needed to start packing. When I was almost packed Jason came up to me.

“Hey Ash, are you almost finished?” he asked.

“Yeah, just let me put the last pair of pant then I’m done,” and I did just that. “Ok, what do you need?”

“Well I was wondering if you wanted to go to the game room and play a game of pool before we retire for the night,” he asked.

“Sure, let’s go,” I said as I dragged him to the game room. When we got there it was empty except for Matt. So we played pool for an hour and guess what. For a girl who has never played before against guys who have, I won all of the games.

“No fair, I swear you cheated,” they both complained.

“Nope, and we better get going it’s ten o’clock,” I said. So we headed off back to the bunks for our last night in actual bed.

The next morning

The trumpet woke me up at 5 o’clock the next morning. It’s the day I leave and fight for my nation. Today I have to look forward to an hour bus drive to the airport then a twelve-hour plane ride to Iraq. I have a long day ahead of me. I’m just glad I get my ipod back, so now at least I’m not too bored. I look around the bunks and saw the Berry brothers looking at me and tell me it’s time to go. I gather my two bags and headed with the Berry’s to the buses. Since we were the first ones there we picked the seats in the back of the bus. Only ten other people are going to Iraq with us and it was no one I knew. I was getting bored after twenty minutes so I asked the Berry’s if they wanted to play Ispy. “I spy with my little blue eye something green,” I was looking at a green screw in the back of the seat in front of me.

“The trees,” Matt said.

“The bags,” Jason said.

“No and no, come on guys it’s so easy you could just sit on it,” I said giving them a hint. They looked around some more until I think Jason spotted it.

“Is it the green screw in the seat?” he asked while I just nodded. When he finally got it, it took longer then we thought because we where now at the airport. We grabbed our bags and started walking in the airport. All of us were stopped and thanked by tons of people saying that we were their hero’s even when we didn’t do anything yet. I started to get hungry so I walked to the airport Mc Donald’s. After I ordered my meal and was waiting for it a little girl around 7 came up to me.

“Hi, I wanted to say thanks,” she said with a smile.

“For what? I haven’t done anything yet,” I asked her.

“For sticking up for our country when it needs help. And for protecting me and kids my age, “ she replied.

“Your welcome, but what’s your name?” I asked the little girl.

“My name is Liberty, and I have a request for you,” Liberty said.

“And what is that Liberty?” I asked intrigued on what the little girl would ask me.

“When your gone can you remember me and can you wear this bracelet?” she asked kindly.

“I will always remember you Liberty. I mean who else is named Liberty and that is what I’m fighting for the Liberty of our nation. And of course I will wear your bracelet,” I said while taking the black bracelet from her. It was black with Liberty’s name in red. It was beautiful and I couldn’t wait to wear it, so I just put it on. “Thank you so much Liberty. If you ever want to talk to me send a letter to Ashley Anderson.”
On the plane

The whole way there I was playing with the bracelet and listening to my ipod. The twins were dead asleep and we only have an hour left on the trip. Suddenly my ipod started to play

“When I’m Gone” by Simple Plan.
(Whoa oh)
No we're not gonna waste another moment in this town
(Whoa oh)
And we won't come back the world is calling out
(Whoa oh)
Leave the past in the past gonna find the future
And misery loves company
Well so long
You'll miss me when I'm gone
(Ohh, ohh, ohh)
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
(Ohh, ohh, ohh)


The moment I heard this verse I thought of my life. I’m not in my hometown any more because I couldn’t stand it. The Army was my calling to help the world’s cries for help and it’s teaching me to forget my awful past and look forward to the future. But when it said you’ll miss me when I’m gone, I thought of Liberty on how she said she’ll miss me. Maybe I made the right decision and now that I’m on my path of life people will start to love me and miss me when I’m gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please!!!!!! What's your favorite part of this chapter? What's your favorite song by Avenged Sevenfold?

My favorite is "A Little Piece of Heaven"