Doubtful Goodbyes

Doubtful Goodbyes

I watch her gracefully glide across the hallway, and rest on a locker next to her friend. Her smile shines through me, although it is not directed towards myself. Her voice chirps peacefully to her friends as her amazing eyes glance in my direction, finally. I try to stop my constant stare but she is just too beautiful.

I am her past. I was once her present. And once thought i was her future. I still want to be her future, but we have moved on; have taken different paths, led separate lives. Her heart no longer beats for me, but mine will remain forever, the constant beating of her name. Her gentle touch, I will never feel again, and he warm smile, I will only see from afar.

I try to bring those thoughts of her out of my mind, but they keep returning, as if I feel I have another chance. Its over now.

I snap out of my trance as i hear a voice as she passes. "Just friends," she whispers as my heart sinks deeper down into the pit of my soul. Just then, I see her face which was once joyful and beautiful, that is now gloomy and dismayed. She bows her head, staring at her feet and faces me.

"Just friends," she chokes out again, as if she was drilling the thought in my mind, like she heard my thoughts crying out to her. She raises her head now, and reveals the truth, without whispering a sound. Tears streak her face.

Out of mere confusion, I turn away, trying to make this fantasy disappear. It gives the effect that I do not care about her, even though that is all I ever cared about. I see more tears roll down her cheek out of the corner of my eye. She starts to run off, ashamed for admitting the truth.

Quickly, I grab her arm and turn her around. She breathes deeply as she stares into my eyes, only centimeters apart. Her eyes are stained, as she chokes out a few more words.

"I still love you," she whispers. I put her hand on my chest.

"It only beats for you," I answer.