Better Than You

Chapter Three

Over the next few weeks, the Patterson family and the Jonas family became closer friends. Denise and Linda had their annual Saturday shopping spree while David and Kevin Sr. got together to watch football every Sunday. Aubree babysat Frankie whenever a babysitter was needed and Kevin agreed to give her guitar lessons every Tuesday after school.

Sometimes, Kevin would try and get Riley to participate in these lessons, but she always refused. Guitar didn’t interest her, she said. The one accomplishment over these few weeks was that the boys had gotten Riley to come out of her shell just a tiny bit. She wasn’t quite as shy around them anymore, but she wasn’t exactly friendly either.

Once, when it was David’s turn to host the football party, Riley had gone outside to play soccer with her dog. She didn’t think anyone had noticed that she had disappeared, but she was wrong when she discovered she had an audience watching her.

“You’re really good,” Nick said, walking towards her. He thought he saw her blush, but it could have just been from the bitter wind that was blowing her blonde hair all over the place
.
“Thanks,” she responded, and smiled softly. She sat down on one of the empty swings and signaled for Nick to sit in the one next to her. Surprised by her invitation, he obeyed and took a seat next to her.

“How long have you been playing?” he asked, hoping that this could be the breakthrough he was hoping for. He noticed that the only time he seemed to get Riley to talk was when it was about soccer.

“Awhile,” she answered. “I started when I was seven.”

Nick nodded. “That’s how old I was when I played. But I quit the next year,” he said, and chuckled at the memories. “I wasn’t very good.”

“Yeah, you scored for the other team apparently? Joe told me.”

He groaned, “I only did that once! How was I supposed to know that you can only score in one of the nets? I was seven!”

She laughed, “It’s not that hard to figure out.”

“Yeah, well soccer just wasn’t my thing. I only wanted to play because my best friend played. Why did you want to?”

She sighed, “It was the one thing that Aubree never did,” she said, and then realized what she had just admitted. “I’m hungry,” she said before Nick could respond. “Want to go get some food?”

“Sounds good, it’s freezing out here, anyway.”

That was the first real conversation any of them had with her. It wasn’t very long, and it was only about soccer, but it was a start.
--
Aubree wanted Joe to like her. There was no doubt about it; Aubree had developed a crush for that kid. What’s not to like? He’s cute, funny, charming. He’s perfect, and Aubree wanted him. It shouldn’t be too hard, since Aubree could get any guy she wanted, and this time, she just happened to want the lead singer of the Jonas Brothers. No problem.

She had managed to get his number about a week ago, but she still hasn’t tried to call him yet. She tossed her phone from one hand to the other, debating whether she should call him or not. So, she decided she would text him.

Hey

Yo, wassup? He replied, barely a minute later.

Nothin really. I’m bored out of my mind. u?

Same here. theres nothing 2 do

Here was her chance. I know what u mean. hey, I was wondering if u wanted 2 do something this saturday? I dont have any plans and I really dont wanna sit at home all day.

definitely! I’ll call u later

Aubree smiled. Mission accomplished.
--
That fall, Riley’s soccer team had made it to the championships, giving Linda a brilliant idea. She quickly picked up the phone and dialed Denise’s number.

“Hello?”

“Hi Denise, it’s Linda.”

“Oh hi, Linda, I was just about to call you! Are we still on for shopping on Saturday?” she asked.

“Actually, that’s what I was calling about. Riley’s soccer team made it to the championships and the big game is on Saturday. I was wondering if you and the family wanted to come? I bet it would mean a lot to Riley.”

. “Sounds like fun! We’ll be there. I’ll just have to tell the boys not to make plans for Saturday.”

“Great. Thank you so much, Riley will be ecstatic!”

“No problem at all. I’ll see you Saturday then!”

Linda hung up the phone and turned around to see Aubree standing next to her.

“Do I have to go to Riley’s game?” she whined. “It’s going to be so boring and I already made plans with Joe!”

“Yes you have to go! This game means a lot to your sister, and I’m sure she’s going to want you there.”

“But Mo-om!”

“Aubree,” she warned. “ I said you have to go.”

“But what about Joe?”

“Would you relax, Joe’s going to be there anyway.”

“He is?” she asked.

“Yes.”

“Oh, ok perfect! We probably won’t even end up watching the stupid game, anyway.”

“Aubree!” Linda yelled. “Stop it!”

“Ok sorry, sorry. I’m going to go do my homework,” she said and left the kitchen, passing Riley on the way out, who had heard the entire conversation.
♠ ♠ ♠
commentsssss?