Guardian Angels

Chapter 1

The crashing of things being knocked over, glass breaking and curses streaming all floated up through the wooden floor of the bedroom, the room I'd shared with my sister ever since we were born. Was it right for me to just lie there, just wallowing in the agonizing pain that he'd put us both through for so long? Sometimes I wondered if Dad really ever loved us, I knew there was a time when all he could ever do was shower us with affection, his two happy little girls; but that time was long past now.

"Come on Dahl, get up, he'll be up here any minute," Ebony whispered loudly, the tears already coming down from her face in fear of what our father would do if he found us. She eventually dragged me into the closet with her, closing the door tightly and putting the small latch over the lock, her hand over my mouth to make sure that my jagged breathing couldn't be heard.

His footsteps could be heard as he climbed the stairs, loud and heavy, and all the more frightening. We both knew that I was having an asthma attack along with my fear of dark and confined places, but it was either I nearly die of my lungs collapsing or we both were found out.

"Oh girls," we heard him slur, our hearts skipping beats so fast it felt like I was already dead from just pure panic. The door knob was turned from the other side of our bedroom door, and he knew at that instant that we were hiding somewhere in the room, even with the lights dimmed fully. Even after he chuckled and we could hear his retreating footsteps, we knew that neither of us were safe from him.

"Dahlia please don't die on me, you're the only thing worth enduring this all for," Ebony cried, hearing that my breaths were getting even more deep and cracked.

Unfortunately God wasn't on our side tonight, because just as Ebony was about to frantically search my pockets for my extra inhaler, the bedroom door was broken down, right off it's henges. And as the latch was knocked off place and the door slowly slided on it's tracks so that we were exposed to our drunken father, my sister was ripped from beside me and thrown against the wall, blood dribbling down the side of her mouth as I prepared to say goodbye to the cruel world that'd kept me inprisoned for these seventeen long years.