Status: Active and forver seeking comments :)

The Voice Within

Supermarket

Ronnie’s POV:

“So you seriously know how to cook?” Kat laughed gazing at me skeptically with her huge eyes.

“Umm yeah,” I smiled uneasily, “It’s no big deal I’m almost fifteen. My dad works late, so after a while of getting sick on junk food and beans on toast I made my way to my mum’s recipe books and with step by step instructions it was easy.”

“Well, this is just like wow,” Danny gasped pretending to be overwhelmed as he dramatically held his hand to his heart, shaking his head.

Kat rolled her eyes and made to cuff him around his head, something I noticed she did a lot, but Danny was expecting it and just managed to duck the blow. Instead he caught her around her stomach, tickling her sides until she was begging for mercy.

“So what about your mother then,” Chase asked walking up beside me. He had been so silent and quiet trailing behind us that I’d almost forgotten he was there.

“Oh, she died just under five years ago,” I mumbled fidgeting with my nails. What was it that made me so nervous about Chase? Was it the way he had the tendency to melt into the background then suddenly pipe up bluntly asking questions and fixing me with such an intense gaze it was almost like he was drilling me with his eyes, looking straight through me? I waited for the usual, ‘Oh, I’m sorry’ remark to be made, but instead Chase said nothing, simply nodded with understanding eyes and slowed until he was behind us again, melting back into the background.

“So we’re here,” Danny announced once Kat had stopped chasing him and they were both breathless, clutching their sides. “I’m starving, and could do with something to drink.”

“You could always do with something to drink,” Kat teased rolling her eyes and poking him in his side, pointing at Danny’s slightly round waist. He was exactly the skinniest person I know, but then again his tall figure and round cheeks fitted perfectly with his head of curly brown hair and infectious wide smiles. Danny completely ignored Kat but instead threw his arm around my neck, “And we need to buy some food for our new little chef to cook. You’re going to love it at my house, we have one of those big modern kitchens, it’s a shame my mum doesn’t know how to cook in it though, but now with you around…” I raised my eyes but chose to say nothing. Once he’d had a taste of my cooking, then maybe he wouldn’t be smiling.

The supermarket was completely deserted which I thought would have made it impossible for them to take anything, but I was wrong. While Kat made herself busy chatting up the guy stacking the shelves I watched in amazement and sheer horror as Danny emptied the shelves himself; tipping full packets of wine gums and chips into his bag. It was somewhere between disturbing and pretty funny. Stifling giggles, I went in search for Chase, curious to where he’d got to. I found him eyeing the wine section when I saw him.

“Ronnie?” Chase asked quizzically when he saw the shocked look displayed on my face.

“SSSsssh!” I practically yelled, dragging him on the other side of the aisle as I eyed my father turning into the very aisle I had been standing. It was like my blood froze in my veins as my worst fears suddenly appeared so real and close. He would kill me if he saw me, absolutely kill me. A stray tear escaped my eyes, as my heart began to speed, my hands started to shake. I felt like I was hyperventilating.

“Ronnie! Talk to me, what is it?” Chase whispered coming up behind me, to take my shaking hands in his. Then it was like I was shaking all over again for a different reason.

“N… nothing,” I stammered snatching my hands back to wipe away my tears before I really did have a panic attack, “I mean that’s my father.”

I watched as Chase’s eyes followed my line of vision. I could see what he saw; a thin, young, rough and unshaven man, clutching the beer bottles he grabbed from the shelves and held so tightly to his chest it was obvious he depended on them.

Chase nodded, once again completely understanding without an explanation or unwanted remarks. Instead he took back my hands in his, placing a finger against my lips gesturing for silence. “Follow my lead,” he mouthed, and then Chase yelled, “Hey Sir!” I stared as my father who had been looking rather nervously around him, jump sky high in shock, dropping the wine bottle to the ground. The shrill sound of the broken glass immediately caused the few three employees to come running to his aid. I was pulled to my feet by Chase who began to run in the opposite direction, yelling for Kat and Danny. My heart was slamming in my chest as I ran alongside him out of the shop, as they set off the alarm. Had my dad seen me? Was he running after us? I had to get to Luke…

“Wait, why are we stopping?” I managed between breaths, as we slowed to a brisk walk.

Chase ignored me, but instead ducked into the nearest alleyway. I followed them all in silence, desperately wringing my hands and chewing my lip, still racking my brains to whether he had really seen us. We kept walking for another couple minutes, through this street and that, before we ended up metres away from an estate, underneath an abandoned bridge and lake. Exhausted, I plopped myself down beside Kat, letting myself relax backwards onto the grass. I could not believe we had gotten away.

Danny lay with his head in Kat’s lap and Chase sat opposite us fiddling with something in his pocket. We lay like that, in silence for what felt like an eternity. It was ages before somebody spoke.

“Well, mate, thanks for the warning,” Danny pouted, “I was so close to getting some real nice jammy dodgers.” This time Kat did cuff him around his head of brown curly hair and he whined in protest, and this time I rolled my eyes in annoyance. There was definitely something happening between those two.

“Well it’s a good thing I got this then,” Chase smiled revealing a small bottle of vodka from his pocket. Kat gasped and then immediately began to laugh with Danny as he slapped him on the back. I couldn’t help laughing too. I hadn’t seen Chase smile before, and it was a very cute crooked smile, something about it, that just made me wanna me smile too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know its rubbish, but would it still be too cheeky to ask for comments or any criticism?? x