Status: Active and forver seeking comments :)

The Voice Within

Gone

Outside, it was threatening to rain. I didn't really mind though, let it rain. Luke and I would get drenched on the way home, but then so would dad get soaked wherever he was. I hoped it would spoil his day, and delay him getting home. My head throbbed when I thought of what he would do to me next time he got angry. The leaflet Liz gave me burned a whole in my bag. I wanted to call I really did, but it wasn't that easy. I must of looked miserable because the teacher asked me if I was alright in math. I couldn't be bothered to come up with a liable excuse so I admitted that I felt a little queasy and escaped to the girls bathroom.

Inside the toilets I took a deep breath, staring at my reflection in the mirror. I didn't like the picture of the scared worried girl that stared back at me, but it was something I had grown used to. I remember a very different girl in the mirror not so long ago, but that was back when my mum was alive. It felt like only yesterday when she would be there to pick Luke and me up from school.

I had everything; a mum, a baby brother a dad who wasn’t always there, but then at least he tried. I still remember all the holidays, every single birthdays, and even when I don’t I have the family videos to prove it. We had been a family, once. It was like my life was a giant puzzle, my life was full and complete, the perfect picture. But as soon as pieces started to go astray the whole puzzle fell apart. On my tenth birthday, my mum announced she was leaving. It was so out of the blue, I didn’t expect it all. And neither did dad, he begged her to stay, at least for the night, she could leave in the morning. He said even the storm raging outside agreed with him. But mum was determined, she just wouldn’t listen. She stepped outside into the rain and left. The storm took its toll, and that same night my mum, Melanie Warner, crashed her car into the side of a delivery lorry and died instantly. It was that night, that my perfect puzzle shattered into a million pieces.

I splashed some cold water on my face, but then immediately regretted it when some of the foundation washed off my face. I panicked, but then hastily came up with an excuse that I had walked into the toilet door if anyone noticed. I fixed a fake smile on my face and was already to walk back into math when I opened the toilet door only to spot Liz walking along the hallway. I frowned glancing at the clock on the wall. There was still a couple minutes of lessons left before the bell rang for lunch, what was Liz doing out here? Puzzled, I left the toilet and hurried after her, ready to call out her name once she was in earshot.

Liz quickened her pace when she rushed past the Staff rooms until she was only a couple metres away from the front doors. I hurried past her, not stopping when the gym teacher turned her head and spotted me from the staff room window and called my name. I couldn't understand where Liz was going, until she reached the doors and without hesitating stepped outside. Now I was running, I flung open the door and called after her. But it was too late Liz was already halfway across, the street determined to get away from the school. The rain poured down, blurring my vision. I shook my head wondering why she left without telling me. Now we were both going to get into trouble.

"Ronnie!" what on earth do you thinking your doing out here? The bell hasn't rung yet, " the gym teacher said putting her hand on my back to move me back inside.

I jumped, wincing at the pain. I turned to look at her, biting my lip, worrying that I had let my cover slip.

"Ronnie? Are you okay? Are you hurt?" the teacher babbled.

"I . . . I'm fine, " I said lamely, turning back to see where Liz was now. Then everything happened at once, the bell rang loudly, the classes emptied and the hallway filled up with students. I turned back to the streets and the teacher’s eyes simultaneously followed mine and together we both saw the car, as it sped across the road at full speed slamming into Liz, knocking her sky high until her body rolled to the sidewalk.

"Liz!" I screamed, running outside after her.

"Oh my word . . , " the teacher gasped letting go of me and instead letting her hand fly to her mouth in shock.

Seeing my chance I blindly ran into the road, rushing to Liz. But the girl that lay on the road didn't look like Liz at all. Her perfect blonde hair was matted with blood that was flowing freely from her head. The whole left side of her body, was swollen with bruises that were still forming, her leg dotted with pieces of glass from the cars shattered headlight had found their way into her skin. Her left arm was at angle that didn't look humanely possible, even her leg looked broken. I knew better than to move her or touch her, but from the way her skin was paling and her eyes stayed firmly shut I knew it was bad, very bad. Silent tears rolled down my cheeks, they come easily when you cry it a lot. I stood up, swaying slightly in the wind. I looked down at Liz, willing my eyes to see another picture, wishing that this dreaded nightmare would tell another story. But she didn’t move, she laid there her body limp and dead.