Green Day, Why Are You In My Room?

Chapter 1

I looked at myself in the mirror. I was so tired - I had been up nearly all night at a dairy farmer's, waiting for a new arrival on the farm to be born.

OK, so a little about me - my name's Natasha. I'm 30, and engaged to my boyfriend Matthew - one of the sweetest guys I had ever met. I live in a town in rural Australia, am a vet and am dedicated to my work. Despite this, I was still obsessed with Green Day. Their music - it made me feel like the world wasn't perfect...even though my life was peaceful, other people didn't have that option.

I got into bed, trying carefully to not wake Matt. He stirred in his sleep. I closed my eyes, hoping for sleep to come.

---

The next morning I woke early. Matt had already left for work, in Sydney - around and hour's trip away.

I changed into my work clothes, and checked my phone for any missed calls for possible emergencies. None were there.

I made a coffee and sat down watching tv. It was great having a relaxed moment - even though I loved my job.

My phone rang.

"Hi - is this Natasha?" a worried voice rfom the other end sounded.

"Yes, speaking," was my reply.

"Hi, its Lisa from Fairview Throughbreds. We have a terribly injured horse here - has caught itself in a barb wire fence."

I winced inwardly. "I'll be right out."

After driving out and treating the horse with a few quick bandages and antibiotics, I headed off to my other cases. On return at home at six o'clock at night, I slumped down on the couch.

I glanced at the clock, wondering why Matt still hadn't retured from work. I checked my phone once again - no new messages, no missed calls. I made myself a drink and sat down - and immediately dialed Matt's number.

"Hello?" Matt picked up the phone. There was laughter in the background, a female's voice giggling.

I felt my blood turn cold. "Matt, where are you?"

There was a pause. I heard him trying to quieten the girl in the background. "Matty....I lurvve you..." The slurred words rang over and over in my head, the idiot girl in the background continuing to groan.

"MATT?!?!" I yelled.

"Uh...Tash, honey...I'm..." again the girl started making stupid remarks. I heard Matt in the background kiss her and say, "Baby, baby - don't make noise. We'll keep going...just wait..."

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!?!?!" I yelled, the tears in my eyes beginning to flow down my face. I began to panic...Matt was cheating on me.... "WHY AREN'T YOU HOME? YOU'RE SCREWING ANOTHER GIRL, WE'RE ENGAGED, AND I'M FUCKING LEFT HERE AT HOME!?"

"Sshhh Tash, Tash, its not what it sounds like..." his voice annoyingly remained calm.

"NO, don't you try and shush me, you dirty bastard," I said, trying to keep my voice level. "Come home right now, this instant."

He hung up. I collapsed on the floor, unable to deal with it all.