Green Day, Why Are You In My Room?

Chapter 17

Just before they were about to leave, Adie motioned to talk to me.

Once out of earshot, she gestured over to Tash sitting at the dining table. Her hands were wrapped under a coffee mug, her face stony, her eyes staring dully at the table surface.

Adie looked depply into my eyes. "Tre, she's messed up. Badly. Her life was fixing up..."

"I know that," I said, shaking my head. "What do I do?"

"Well, all I can suggest is that you be there for her," Adie said quietly. "She needs to be with someone until she stops freaking out. Because there is a chance he'll come back."

"But why the fuck did that fucking loser fucking come back?" I said, noticing my overuse of a certain word.

"Your guess is as good as mine," Adie said softly. "Just take care of her. Don't do - "

"I know," I said. "I'll be careful. She's not going to be so trusting anymore."

Adie smiled. "I'm glad you understand. Not many people would. See ya Tre." She followed Mike and Billie outside to the car.

I stood there for a moment in silence. I just wanted to find that fucking loser. Rip him to shreds. Make him feel the pain he's caused...

I shook my head before returning to the kitchen to sit next to Tash. She smiled weakly as I wrapped my arm around her.

Hey body was tense, her face damp with tears. She broke down again, her body shaking.

"Ssh," I said soothingly. I wrapped my arms around her. "I've gotta go to the store to get some supplies. Do you want to stay here?"

She shook her head. "I'll come," she said weakly, wiping her face. "I have to forget about that."

"Don't be hard on yourself," I said. "It's not your fault."

She nodded and got up to get ready. I went out to the car, for Tash to come out only a few moments later.

She was silent for the whole car trip. She kept her head directed to beside her, watching the surroundings zoom past.

After stopping outside the supermarket, she opted to stay in the car.

"Do you want anything?" I asked. She shook her head.

I made sure to lock the car. Luckily the roof was up. Maybe I was being over-protective...

I hurried inside, ignoring the stares of a few people noticing who I was.

Tash's POV

I kept a watchful eye around me.

Stop being paranoid, I told myself firmly. You're being an idiot. He's probably on the next flight back to Australia.

I couldn't stop looking out for Matt...his tall, lanky figure, mop of dark brown hair...

I froze, seeing that exact figure heading inside. I nearly screamed.

I unlocked the door, sprinting nside. I had to get Tre away from him. I went from aisle to aisle, finding Tre but not Matt.

"Tre - " I gasped. "Its - "

"Fuck," Tre whispered hoarsely. He grabbed me close. "It's OK...." I hugged him close. Tre would protect me...

I heard a laugh behind me. There, the sleazy bastard Matt was glaring at us. I could smell the booze from here.

"Ooh, Tash is in lurrve..." he slurred, his eyes delirious.

Tre let go and stepped forward. He looked like someone poised for a fight.

Tre's POV

I felt like I was about to explode with rage. My fists clenched, my heart raced, my blood pounded loud enough for me to hear...

"Get away from her," my voice sounding eerily calm.

He laughed. "Or what?" he stepped forward, shoving me backwards.

Tash gasped. "MATT! Get the fuck away from him!" her voice was in a state of panic.

Matt punched me hard across the face. Nearby shoppers heard the commotion. I held my hand up to my nose, feeling a small trickle of blood. My temper flew - I threw my fist at him.

He fell to the ground, holding his hand up to his face. I grabbed Tash and we sprinted outside. We had to get away from him - "

We jumped into the car and sped away. Her face was a mix of shock...fear...and horror. To see him again, so soon after he had assaulted her -

I pulled over by the side of the road. Tash broke into tears. I held ehr close. She probably thought I was just as bad, fighting him back.

"Tash, I'm sorry," I said, stroking her hair. "I'm sorry I punched him - "

She remained silent for a moment. By the look on her face I thought she'd never be happy again.

"Don't be sorry," she said. "He deserved it. Thank you for fighting for me - "

"You don't have to thank me," I said firmly. "That son of a bitch had it coming."