Green Day, Why Are You In My Room?

Chapter 23

I returned from band practice, still in the grumpy mood that I was in when I had left. I picked up some lunch, not in the mood to go out into town with Tash.

I went through the front door, trying to cheer myself up and not act too grumpy. I heard music coming through the floor from above. I dumped the bags of food on the kitchen table and went upstairs, wondering if I should bother her.

I casually walked past her door. The thumping music of The Clash's London Calling was distinctive.

Tash's POV

I heard a knocking on the door.

"Tash?"

I quickly shoved the suitcase I was packing under my bed.

"Um - just a minute!"

I made sure everything was out of sight before pausing the music and opening the door.

Tre's face had no form of emotion on it whatsoever.

"I got lunch," he said flatly.

"Uh - thanks!" I said, a little too brightly.

He turned around and headed downstairs. I groaned. Why was he suddenly acting funny?

I went downstairs, and helped Tre unload the bags. We ate in silence. It was just like when I had first arrived - when everything had been so awkward.

I sighed inwardly. It seemed so long ago, so un-complicated. I missed those days. It seemed all so silly now, me being scared to go out with him. But now I was deserting him.

Stop it, I told myself firmly. You're doing this for Tre. So he doesn't get hurt like I did. Because I'll fuck things up again.

"So, why are you leaving?" Tre asked. It broke the sudden silence, alright. Made my heart skip a beat. Made me nearly jump in shock.

"What?"

"You very well know what," Tre said coolly.

"tre - "

"Why, Tash? What did I fucking do?" He sounded so angry...even...upset?

"You didn't - its just..."

"You want Matt back?"

"No!" I exclaimed. "You don't understand - "

"No, I do," Tre replied coldly. He stood up. "Its not good enough here, what we had wasn't good enough. Nothing was. You just want him back. No matter how badly he treated you, you still want him back."

Nothing could have been further from the truth.

"Tre! It's not like that!!" I felt close to tears.

Tre shrugged his shoulders and stormed out the front door.

I slumped in my seat, my head in my hands. I had screwed it up. How did he know? Why couldn't I tell him the reason I was leaving was because I loved him?!

I heard the car start and drive quickly out of the driveway. The house felt empty. I felt alone and helpless.

Hopefully my life back in Australia would return to how boring and predictable it was before I met Green Day. Hopefully it was be drama-free and perfectly quiet.

Hopefully I would forget about Tre.