Sequel: The Way I Loved You
Status: Finished.

One Last Time

Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

Jess and Deron insisted we go to bed when we got downstairs. Something about early band practice. I picked a spot on the floor and unrolled my sleeping bag. Bam brought his over next to mine. Everyone laid down and April shut the light off for us.
'Ri.' I heard Bam whisper once everyone had fallen asleep.
'Yeah?'
'You awake?'
'Yeah. Why?' I rolled over to face him.
I could just make his face out in the dark.
'Earlier, during the game, you weren't mad I asked you to kiss me, were you?' He asked.
'No.' I said. 'I was glad.'
'So, was I right in thinking I was the one you liked?' He asked.
'Yeah.'
'Good.' He said. I could hear the smile in his voice. 'I like you too.'
I giggled.
'Night.' He said.
'Night.'
Life in West Chester was probably better then I could have ever expected it. Until my mom met Scott. She had met Scott when we first moved here. She dated him but I didn't get to meet him until she told me they were engaged.
'Ri, Honey!' She said as I walked in the door New Year's Day from Bam's.
'Yeah?'
'I have great news.' She said bustling in the room. She presented her finger and my eyes widened.
'Where did you get that?' I asked.
'From Scott! We're getting married on Valentine's Day!' She squeeled.
'I haven't met him yet...' I said.
'I know. He's coming for dinner.' She said walking to the kitchen.
'But I have plans. I'm supposed to go to Rose's and do something with Bam later tonight.' I explained.
'Well, you'll just have to cancel.' She said shrugging. 'Besides Rian, you see your friends everyday, you've barely been home.'
'Whatever.' I said shrugging before going up to my room. I called Rose and told her I couldn't make it today. She said it was fine. Then I called Drea to tell her about the wedding.
'Oh my God...' She said.
'I know. I did not expect this when I moved here.'
'Rian!' My mother called up the stairs.
'Hang on. Yeah?'
'Get ready. Dinner will be done in an hour!'
'Okay! I have to go get ready.' I mumbled into the phone.
'Have fun.' Drea said.
'Oh, yeah, tons.'
I showered and got dressed. I put on jeans, a tank top, and Bam's hoodie. I knew it would piss my mom off, she hated that hoodie. I threw my hair up into a messy bun just as the doorbell rang.
'Rian! Scott's here!'
I came down the stairs and stopped at the bottom.
'Hi.' Said a man. He was about my mom's age with brown hair. He wore a blazer and slacks but I saw right through his cheesey smile. I could tell he was really an ass.
'Hi.' I mumbled.
My mother ushered him towards the kitchen. 'Couldn't you have put something decent on?'
'I look fine.' I said.
Dinner was very awkward. I pushed my food around my plate trying to not look at him. He questioned me about school and West Chester and I just mumbled my replies. The doorbell rang half way through and I realized I had forgotten to call Bam and tell him I couldn't do anything.
'Excuse me.' My mother said getting up and going to the door. '
'Hey, Ms. Lightman, uh, is Rian here?' I heard him ask.
'She's in the kitchen, come on in Bam.'
I quickly began eating trying to finish so I could get out of this hell hole. I took the last bite as they entered the kitchen.
'Hey Ri.' He said.
'Hey.' I said as I got up and put my plate in the sink. 'Mom, am I allowed to go?'
'Yes, I suppose. Be home by eight.' She said.
'Okay. Bye Scott, it was nice to meet you.' I said as I pushed Bam out of the room.
'Bye, Rian.'
'Hang on, I need to get something.' I said to Bam and pulled him up the stairs.
'Who is that jackass?' He asked.
'My mom's fiance.' I said.
'What?'
'I know.'
'I didn't even know she was dating anybody.'
'Me either really. I just met him.' I explained. 'I don't like him.'
'Me either.' Bam said and we both laughed. 'Well, come on. Dunn's waiting. Jess and I built this ramp and Dunn's gonna bike over it. And the best part is, we forgot to reenforce it.'
I laughed but said, 'That is so mean.'
We got up and ran down the stairs and out the door. 'Bye mom!' I called over my shoulder.