Status: completed

California Love A7X

Going down to Cali

I looked out the plane window. The voice on the intercom reminding the passengers where we were arriving. I sighed with relief. I left my home town of Seattle. I couldn't deal with the crazy family drama shit amongst the parents and my four siblings. I was the neutral ground. I was the person everyone bitched at and to. I couldn't take it anymore. It seemed like I had to deal with everyones problems but the second I needed a shoulder to cry on, they told me to deal with it. So after twenty two years of that I finally said fuck you to everyone and came down here. To beautiful California. To live with family I've never met. My uncle I know. Only via phone had I ever met him. My aunt, his now ex-wife was the one who suggested I come down here. She bailed me out. And I thanked her greatly. My plane landed and instantly I was greeted by the weather change. It felt warm and it was a nice difference between the cold rain of Washington. I smiled a bit. I fit right in. I looked like a native coming home, with my naturally tan skin. The blessing I got for being half Mexican. Though if you looked at me. You'd say I was full. I looked around looking for any indication of someone looking for me. When I saw no one I headed towards the baggage claim. might as well get my shit while I waited.

Guy: do you need help with that miss?

An airport employee asked me.

Guy: that bag looks bigger than you.

He laughed out a bit. I gave him a friendly smile and told him I was good. I didn't have much. One bag of clothes, one with shoes, and the other with all my work necessities. The other stuff I would have shipped if I needed it. I pushed my rented cart to the loading zone. Scanning once again for someone who would be looking for me. Then I remembered my aunt told me to look for a black escalade. Ha! There were about thirty of those bitches out here. I bit my lip. This was not cool. Could my aunt have forgotten to tell someone to come pick me up? Yes.

Man: Melly? Is that you?

I looked around for my uncles familiar voice. But seeing as how I didn't really know what he looked like, I wasn't sure who I was looking for.

Man: Melly right here.

I made eye contact with a middle aged looking man. He had dark brown eyes and dark brown hair. He was lighter in complexion than I expected. He smiled warmly at me.

Man: Melly?

Melly: uncle Brian?

It felt a bit weird saying it to an actual person, than a voice on the other end. He embraced me in a hug.

Melly: uncle Brian.

UB: the one and only.

Melly: this is a bit weird.

UB: yeah, I mean I've seen pictures but you know. And in taking by how uncomfortable you look that your aunt Sheryl hasn't talked much about me.

Melly: well she has but you know. When you're divorced and aunt Sheryl then its just some angered ranting.

He chuckled a bit. Nodding in understanding. He led me to the black cadillac escalade my aunt had been talking about. We put my shit in the back and loaded into the car.

Melly: so how've you been?

UB: good. And yourself?

Melly: hopefully better now that I only have to deal with my problems.

UB: so what exactly was going on.

Melly: you know family politics. Something I've never really ever tried to deal with.

He nodded.

UB: you know that's going to be anywhere you go.

Melly: yeah but in Seattle, everyones problems some how were mine too. Money, boyfriends, girlfriends, and everything in between that.

UB: you'll get a new start here. So you're what, twenty now? Have you started any kind of college?

I made a face.

Melly: I'm twenty two and I've finished school. I'm already a year and a half into my career.

He stared at me. Thinking for a moment.

UB: holy shit that's right. You talked about paying your way through school and getting a job at some salon. I'm sorry Melly. You just don't look your age.

Melly: its cool. There's a lot of us to remember at my house.

UB: no, I apologize. I should be better at keeping track of this. You are family.

I shrugged and looked at the concrete jungle. Watching as the area changed from nice to not so nice. Then to decent then extravagant. Palm trees were scattered about. It was different from the pines back home. We small talked about random things. His house was nice. Nothing crazy but nice.

Melly: so then if this big vehicle isn't yours who's is it?

UB: your cousins.

I frowned. Cousin. Oh yes. The oldest one.

UB: unfortunately you've never had the chance to meet him. But now that you'll be living here.

I smiled. I always liked meeting new family. We went inside and I was hugged by some lady. A little girl stood behind her.

Lady: its so nice to meet you!

Melly: umm yeah? Who are you?

She laughed a little.

Lady: I'm sorry honey, I'm Suzy. Your uncles wife. And this is Mckenna.

I looked at my uncle. He had never mentioned this. Not that I expected him to stay single or anything. I mean I didn't even know much about him. Just wish I had a warning.

Melly: nice to meet you two. I'm Melly.

Suzy: Mckenna say hi to your cousin.

Melly: don't worry about it Mckenna. Say hi to me when you want sweetheart.

She smiled timidly and nodded.

UB: Mckenna why don't you show Melly to her room for the night.

She nodded and grabbed my hand. We walked down the hallway and into a guest room. Cream colored walls with a few posters and paintings. I looked down at her.

Melly: what are you about twelve? Thirteen?

Mckenna: twelve.

Melly: I've got a younger sister who's just a little older than you. A year actually.

She smiled again.

Mckenna: really? What's her name?

I sat on the bed.

Melly: Sofi.

Mckenna: cool. Why didn't she come with you?

Melly: cause I need to get settled first. Maybe sometime after that she can come visit me and we can all hang out.

She nodded happily.

UB: I brought your bags up.

Melly: oh thanks uncle Brian.

UB: Suzy is making dinner so I'll call you down when its done. Come on Mckenna let's leave Melly so she can get comfuy and clean up.

She frowned a little.

Melly: oh no. Its cool if she stays. I don't mind.

UB: you sure?

I nodded and snuck a wink at Mckenna. She smiled and sat on the bed. He smiled and walked out. I started unpacking my shit. Mckenna watched curiously. She grabbed my shear holder and opened it up.

Mckenna: Melly?

Melly: yes dear?

Mckenna: are you a hair stylist?

I looked at her and smiled.

Melly: yes I am.

Mckenna: do you really need this many scissors to cut hair?

Melly: no and yes. Some of them are used differently.

Mckenna: oh. Are you planning on staying here long?

I looked at her confused.

Melly: yeah for awhile...

Now she looked at me confused.

Mckenna: I thought you were just here for tonight.

I frowned.

Melly: I wouldn't need so many clothes and all my work gear for one night.

Mckenna: but mom and dad said you were here for one night.

Melly: no I'm staying in Cali for awhile babe. I don't plan on going back to Seattle for at least a year.

She shook her head.

Mckenna: no you're confused. I know you're staying here in California for a long time.

Melly: ok I am confused, what are you talking about then sweet pea?

Mckenna: I thought you were going to live with Brian.

Melly: I am. Brian. Uncle Brian.

She shook her head.

Mckenna: no, not my dad. My brother. Dad did say to show you to your room for the night. Do you think they changed their minds and decided you could stay with us? I'll go ask my dad. DAD!!

She yelled running out of the room. I was confused. I don't know her brother. My cousin. Did someone forget to mention a small detail to me. I can't stay with a complete stranger. My uncle is one thing. I know who he is. Kinda. But I've never even talked to this other Brian. I forgot he even existed. Holy crap. What if he's disgusting. Or crazy in a bad way. Mckenna came back into the room dragging my uncle with her.

Melly: what the hell is she talking about?

I stood up and paced a bit.

Mckenna: is she staying here with us afterall?! Cause that would be so Cool! She could take me to school. Do my hair! And we could stay up late! How fun! Is she dad? Huh is she?

She tugged at her fathers hand. He seemed confused as did I.

UB: what are you talking about Mckenna?

Melly: she said that you told her I'm only here for one night. Now I'm in the understanding that I'm here until I get a place to live...

Mckenna: yeah! So is she staying here?

She asked excitedly. The look on my uncle's face worried me.

UB: Melly, you do have a place to live...

I sighed with relief.

Mckenna: she's staying?!? Yay!

When I looked at my uncle again though it wasn't the look I expected.

Melly: oh crap.

UB: no Mckenna.

She stopped jumping around and frowned.

UB: Melly. Did your aunt Sheryl not tell you.

Melly: I was told I was going to live with Brian. You are Brian. Uncle Brian.

UB: yeah Brian. Your cousin.