Status: completed

California Love A7X

Talkin' in your sleep

My eyes fluttered open. I'd been disrupted in my sleep. Something didn't feel right. It was warmer than usual under the covers. When I tried to uncover myself it didn't work. I couldn't see because the room was black. Something faint could be heard. My eyes strained to see what it was. Todd? But how could he get in here? One of my hands wandered slowly. Looking for an answer. Soon my finger tips grazed something warm. Smooth and firm but still soft. I withdrew my hand quickly. A small gasp escaping my lips. Straining my eyes more I tried to see. All I saw was black. A loud roar type sound filled the room. I practically fell off the bed in fright. Frantically I searched for the side table lamp. I flicked it on.

Brian: aww what the fuck Melly? I'm trying to sleep.

He groaned out. Turning on his side. I whimpered.

Melly: what are you doing in here?!

Brian: Jenn kicked me out of the room.

Melly: why?

Brian: she's in one of her "Brian you need to get the fuck out, this is my bed and I need ALL the space" moods.

He mimicked her tone.

Melly: why did you come in here?

Brian: your bed is comfuy and I don't like the other beds.

Melly: what about Jimmy's room.

Brian: he sleeps weird. He wakes up in a different spot than he falls asleep.

Melly: this is a little weird.

Brian: like you've never slept with a guy before. Don't answer that.

Melly: you're my cousin.

Brian: so? Think of it as a slumber party.

I whimpered.

Brian: shush. I'm sleeping.

Melly: why not the couch?

Brian: dude sleeping on a couch sucks.

I stared at him. His breathing calmed and a few moments later he started snoring. Not as loud as before but still snoring. I pouted. Laying down I flicked the light off and covered myslef. A monster was snarling at me when my eyes opened again. I quickly sat up and gave Brian a good hard shove. With a heavy thud he landed on the floor. I peeked over the edge of the bed. He layed there just staring.

Brian: why'd you do that.

Melly: don't get me wrong Cus I love ya, but in no way do I want to be cuddling in bed with you.

His eyes closed. Once again his breathing slowed. Did he really just fall asleep again? Really? I grabbed the blanket and covered him. He rolled on to his side and started snoring. I got got up and went downstairs. Jenn was grabbing a cup of coffee.

Jenn: morning. Have you seen your cousin?

Melly: yeah he's asleep on my bedroom floor.

Jenn: did he really go to your room? I'm so sorry. Why didn't you kick him out?

Melly: I tried, but he just fell asleep and started snoring.

Jenn: I'm so sorry Melly. That asshole.

Melly: where are you going?

Jenn: to get him out of there.

Melly: no, its cool. Its not like I'm sleeping now.

Jenn: he doesn't need to be in there. Its your room.

Melly: really Jenn. Its no biggy. Just let him sleep.

She made a face.

Jenn: you don't have to be nice to him just cause he's Syn Gates.

Melly: I'm not.

Jenn: I dunno.

Melly: I'm not Jenn. Fuck Synyster. That basturd is cocky as fuck. I'm being respectful to Brian Haner Jr. The man who let's me stay in his nice house for free.

Jenn: fine I guess that works.

Melly: so where were you the other day?

Jenn: oh just had to go take care of some shit. You know.

She said casually. I shrugged. If she didn't want to tell me it was cool.

Jenn: so we have another event coming up.

She smiled.

Melly: cool.

Jenn: if you don't want to go you don't have too.

Melly: I'm invited again?

Jenn: you sound surprised.

Melly: I figured you took me to the first one to be nice.

She frowned and shook her head.

Jenn: no Melly. You are a part of the group.

Jimmy came tromping in the room. We just watched him silently as he hunted- I guess is the best way to describe it- a banana. He sniffed each one. Grabbing two he held them out.

Jimmy: which one looks better?

Jenn: well...this one.

He examined it closley. Turning and twisting it in his big hands.

Jimmy: feel this banana Melly. Does it feel bananaish enough?

I ran my finger tip over it.

Melly: I don't think so. Feels like he's been hangin' around the oranges to much.

Jimmy: I thought so. Sorry banana. Maybe if you clean up your act I can eat you tomorrow.

He placed back into the fruit bowl. He sat on a stool next to Jenn, happily eating the banana. When I first moved here, I thought Jimmy was just trying to be different. You know purposly acting the way he does. Like talking to fruit. I came to realize, he's just a big goofy kid. Crazy shit always going on in his mind. Very creative. I loved how he looked at and said things without worrying what his friends would say. Jenn smiled at him and rested her head on his shoulder. He reached in his pocket and put a phone up to his ear.

Melly: so what's this event for?

Jenn: some benifit.

She shrugged.

Jenn: it will be fun and this time you'll know what its going to be like.

Melly: yeah really.

Jimmy: Zacky is on his way. He wants to talk to Melly.

What did he want?

Jenn: 'bout time.

She said quietly and crossing her arms. A slight twinge of anger in her eyes. What did she mean about time?

Jenn: go wake up Brian.

I went upstairs. He was right where he had landed. Crouching next to him I jabbed his side. He groaned.

Melly: wake up Zacky is coming over.

One eye opened. I smiled and poked his side again.

Brian: you talk in your sleep.

Melly: I know. You snore.

He smiled and sat up.

Brian: I know. But talking in your sleep can be dangerous. Especially when your describing certain people and how they make you feel.

My eyes went wide. Great. What the fuck did I say. He stood and walked out. Leaving me to dress. Alone with my thoughts. Questioning what I said. About who I said it. And what exactly I felt about said person. After dressing I walked downstairs. I bumped into Zacky, cause I was so caught up with wondering what I said. He looked at me blankly. My mind told me to breath but it took a minute for me todo so. Once I did I noticed something.

Melly: what the hell happened to your eye?

Zacky: tripped.

Melly: on what?

Zacky: Ichabod.

My brows furrowed.

Melly: ok.

Zacky: so I wanted to say sorry.

Melly: for what?

Zacky: being a dick.

Melly: when?

Zacky: the other day.

I kept the frown.

Zacky: about the whole stripper thing...

Melly: dude I fuckin' put that shit behind me.

I said in a whatever tone.

Melly: I try not to dwell on shit like that.

Zacky: oh...you're not still mad?

Melly: no. What for? I wouldn't give it the time. If I'm gonna waste time being mad over something its gotta be for a good reason.

Zacky: I dig that.

Honesty in his voice. I shrugged.

Zacky: but still I shouldn't have said it. I mean it was rude.

Melly: whatever, so you got an asshole attitude. Its cool.

He made a face.

Zacky: yeah. Anyways just wanted to stop by and say sorry to you.

Melly: you didn't have to. But thanks anways.

Zacky: I'm not a complete asshole you know.

I shrugged again.

Melly: I don't care if you are or aren't. I like ya the same Mr. V.

Silence. As it always comes to with him. Just silence. We stood there. I felt his green eyes on me. My brown ones just avoided him. The floor seemed a lot more interesting to look at. Velcro shoes. We both had velcro shoes on. This made me smile. Here I thought I was the only twenty something year old with velcro shoes. Zombies and velcro shoes. Could I expect anything less from the Zacky V? He cleared his throat. My eyes darted to his face. I waited to see what he wanted now.

Zacky: want to go for a walk?

I looked in the direction of the kitchen.

Zacky: it will just be aound the block. Brian won't even know we were gone. They don't even know I'm here.

Melly: ok then.

His hands shoved in his pockets as he led the way out. The California sun was blaring as it always does. Feeling good against my skin. I closed my eyes for a second. Absorbing the warmth. I let out a sigh. Anytime I was left alone with Zacky I felt awkward. We walked side by side. Birds sang, cars zoomed by, dogs barked in the distance. Our shoes scraped against the sidewalk. I looked at Zacky. Today he wore a hat. Slightly off to the side. The shirt he wore was one off of his line. White. He seemed tense. He wore shorts that were a bit baggy.

Melly: I woke up this morning and Brian was in my bed.

He looked at me.

Zacky: ok? Why?

Melly: Jenn kicked him out of their room.

Zacky: that's creepy.

Melly: that's what I thought. So I shoved him off the bed.

He smiled a bit.

Melly: psh. He just fell back asleep.

Zacky: yeah he can be a heavy sleeper.

Melly: dude tell me about it. The worst part is he heard me talking in my sleep. Which I know I do that. I guess I was talking about someone though. That's not good.

Zacky: why?

Melly: what if I was talking about him and it sounded like I hated him. That's not the case at all. I really like my cousin.

Zacky: I'd be more concerned about how much I love Johnny Christ.

He said dryly. My stomach tightened. I don't love Johnny the way they think.

Melly: he's my bestfriend.

Zacky: Brian doesn't want to understand that.