Status: completed

California Love A7X

Answer to the mystery of the black eye

Matt was playfully elbowing me while we played the wii. To be honest its my least favorite game console but who cares. He giggled like the big dork he is. We were playing super smash brothers and I am kicking his ass. I've been here for a few days now. Brian didn't mind or really like the idea. Not that it mattered Jenn was on my side. Its obvious that what she says goes. When comes to me anyway. I threw down the controllers and raised my hands in the air.

Melly: I am the fucking ultimate super smash brother bitch!!

Matt: I'll get you one of these days. How's best four outta seven?

Melly: no Matt I'm done. I'm gonna retire the champ.

He smiled and turned everything off.

Matt: its been fun having you here.

He wrapped an arm around me and led us to the kitchen.

Melly: what should I make for dinner today?

He shrugged.

Melly: how does enchiladas sound?

Matt: fucking amazing.

Melly: with some rice.

Matt: I like the way that sounds Mel.

Melly: I'm glad you enjoy the food.

Matt: me too.

Melly: hey Matty.

Matt: yeah Mel?

Melly: do you know how Zacky got that black eye?

He made a face.

Matt: what brought that up?

Melly: I've been wondering and he told me he tripped on Ichabod but some how I'm just not feelin' that excuse.

He nodded.

Melly: and Brian's theory is that Johnny did it, or Jenn.

Matt: I do know who it was.

Melly: if you don't want or can't tell me its cool.

Matt: what would be the purpose of asking if you weren't going to get an answer.

Melly: well atleast I would know he didn't trip. Call him out on a lie.

He smiled and shook his head.

Matt: you would not.

Melly: no probley not.

Matt: it was Johnny.

So Brian was right. He probley knew the entire time. Asshole.

Melly: why?

Matt: cause of the shit he said to you.

Melly: that's so ridiculous. Ugh. Really?

I shook my head annoyed.

Melly: what does he care. Its not like he was actually there. I told him.

Matt: he cares because...well...

He stopped. Thinking. What about I'm not sure.

Matt: because Zacky shouldn't have said it to begin with.

Melly: he was joking.

Matt: no he wasn't. We know when Zacky is joking and he was not joking.

I felt my stomach flip. He does want to see me dancing around half naked for his pleasure. What a real jerk.

Melly: that still doesn't give Johnny the right.

Matt: no but it gives him a good excuse. Jenn would have done it herself. Zacky can be a sleeze sometimes Melly.

I rolled my eyes. The mystery of the black eye was solved. I would have to talk to Johnny about it when he came over for dinner tonight.

Matt: you know you talk in your sleep.

Melly: yeah I know.

Matt: I never realized how strongly you felt about Zacky. Then again it should seem obvious you stare at him a lot.

Melly: w-what?

I sputtered out.

Matt: you kept saying his name. I was suprised. I think you got some supressed feelings.

I tapped the counter nervously. I couldn't say anything. The room felt awkward. It shouldn't matter. I know I don't have any supressed feelings for him as Matt put it.

Matt: yeah...I'm gonna go take a shower. If you need to go to the store the keys for the Charger are on the table by the door.

I nodded. Talking in your sleep can't be any worse than now. What the fuck. I pounded my fist on the counter top.

Danny: what up Melly?

Melly: nothing Danny. How was the gym?

Danny: awesome as always. What's for dinner tonight?

Melly: enchiladas.

Danny: sounds delicious.

Melly: good.

Danny: what time is Johnny coming?

Melly: I don't know. Soon?

Danny: I'm gonna go change I'll be back down in a bit.

Might as well get started on dinner. I didn't need to go to the store. Everything I needed was already here. Being me I stocked up. Knowing I'd be cooking for very big eaters. I started grating cheese.

Danny: ok I'm back. You need help with anything?

Melly: no not really.

Danny: you sure?

Melly: yeah. Just go have a beer or something.

Danny: well if you do let me know.

Melly: I will.

At the moment I was to busy in my thoughts. So I've been talking about Mr. Vengeance. Great. So far only Brian and Matt know. I can live with that. Music entered the kitchen.

Danny: what do you feel like listening to?

Melly: how about some Velvet.

He gave a thumbs up. I let Scott Weilends voice drown out my thoughts. Johnny came walking into the room, hands behind his back. I relaxed. His happy smile made me smile. Usually. Right now I wanted to bring up the black eye incident.

Melly: hi hi.

Johnny: hello Melly Mel.

I twisted my mouth to the side. His grin fell.

Johnny: what?

I remained silent. Thinking of the best way to bring it up.

Johnny: are you mad?

The cheese was my center of attention. Easy for me to think while I looked at the cheese.

Johnny: did I do something to make you upset?

He shifted uneasily to my silence.

Johnny: was it something Somebody else did?

He emphasized somebody. I stopped grating cheese and looked at him. My face remained the same. Twisted.

Melly: you had no reason to hit Zacky, Johnny. Sure he said some rude shit to me but he said it to me. Not you. Not your mom or your sister. To me.

He stared at me a bit dumb founded.

Melly: please don't do anything like that again. You two are friends.

I went back to grating cheese a few moments later.

Johnny: who told you?

Melly: I figured it out. Seriously Johnny, thanks but I can handle myself.

Johnny: we got into an argument.

Melly: whatever. I don't want to hear about why or how.

We sat in an irritated silence. I knew he wasn't happy with me for being snappy and I wasn't happy either for him hitting Zacky. The whole situtaition is just unescessary. Things slipped from my fingers. I spilled. I tripped. I dropped. When I'm angry I'm clumsy. Or when I'm nervous. Same with when I'm irritated. I sighed as once again a spoon fell to the floor. Johnny sat at the counter. Watching me carefully. He had a unhappy pout on his face.

Melly: would you please stop staring at me?

Johnny: what the hell else am I supposed to look at?

Melly: can't you go play the wii with Matt or talk with Danny or some shit?

Johnny: why can't I stay in here?

Melly: why do you want to stay in here?

Johnny: why are we talking with questions?

A small itsy bitsy hint of a smile tugged at his lips. I frowned and stirred the chili sauce I was making for the enchiladas.

Melly: why are you being so difficult?

Why couldn't he just walk out so I could get over it. Forget the whole thing. Cause that's all I need. Five minutes to get over the dumb issue. Or to atleast calm down. No he had to patronize me with his presence.

Brian: because he just wouldn't be Johnny if he wasn't.

Sigh of relief. I found myself hugging my cousin tightly. Like he was the answer to all of lifes little questions. Hesitantly his arms wrapped around me. I looked up at him. Some how he knew.

Brian: hey Johnny, why don't you go fuck off. I need to talk to my cousin in private.

Johnny grumbled but did as told.

Melly: thank you.

Brian: hey thank you. I love telling my friends to fuck off. Especially Johnny.

He smiled and took a seat. Then his eyes became serious.

Brian: what's wrong?

Melly: him hitting Zacky that's what. You bitches acting like I can't handle my own arguments. I appriciate the thought. I really do. But seriously what's gonna happen the day none of you are there to get my back?

Brian: impossible we aren't going anywhere.

Melly: ugh. I didn't even take that whole Zacky thing to heart. Sure at that moment I was like gasp oh my goodness! How rude! But I got over that shit quick. I didn't even give it a second thought. You can ask Zacky himself.

Brian: we are just tryin' to watch out for you. You gotta understand. You're the baby of the group now. We can't help it. Its not everyday we get to baby someone.

Melly: well I don't like it.

Brian: to bad.

Melly: where's Jenn?

Brian: out with Jimmy again. Wait wait wait one second. Johnny. He gave Zacky the black eye?

Melly: wow wait to fuckin' be ten years late on that.

Brian: I'm gonna have to thank him for that. Me late. Melly that black eye is so like last week.

Melly: whatever.

Brian: so what are you makin'?
♠ ♠ ♠
bomb bomb bomb