Status: completed

California Love A7X

Oh my

I was back at home. Sitting quietly in the backyard. By the pool. Todd laid beside me. The black eye and event incidents well over with and gone. I'd thanked Zacky many times for that. He just shrugged. The sun hit my back. I was already darker than when I first came here. My fingers flipped through the pages of the magazine I was reading. Nothing to exciting.

Jimmy: Melifus.

Melly: yeah Jim?

Jimmy: I'm going to Matt's want to join me?

Melly: naw. I'm in a lounging mood. Thank you though.

He kissed the top of my head and ran off.

Melly: just me and you Todd. That is until Brian and Jenn come home. Shopping for the right cake is hard work you know.

Todd just panted in response.

Melly: I don't know what it will look like Todd. I'm sure Jenn has something set in her mind.

Wedding plans had been the theme of this week. Jenn had been working on it since I've been here but with all that has been going on I hadn't noticed. What with the getting used to everyone and everything. It was going to be a nice wedding. Very classy in a fun way. I laid back in the grass. It was funny. They have this nice outdoor set. And these fabulous pool chairs. Here I am laying in the grass. A yawn escaped. Causing my eyes to water. I jumped a bit when I opened them again. Zacky was hovering over me. His small smirk made me want to touch his face. I stared. My eyes darting over his whole face.

Zacky: what up Melly?

I still stared. He perked a brow.

Zacky: Melly?

Melly: oh sorry. Hi Zacky.

I sat up. His black eye had faded.

Melly: what can I do for ya?

Zacky: I actually got something for you.

Melly: what?

Zacky: well I know how you've been so mopy dopey over finding a job. So...here.

He handed me a card.

Melly: what's this?

Zacky: me and the guys are having a photo shoot. We figured you could do our hair and make up. You just got to call that number, confirm a few things, and you got your first gig.

My eyes widened as I looked the card over. This was for real. A real photoshoot. With my work in it.

Zacky: what do you think?

A huge smile spread across my face. I practically knocked Zacky over when I hugged him.

Melly: thank you thank you thank you! You have no idea how awesome this is Zacky.

I felt his hands rest on my bare back. The touch sent shivers through me. A faint smell of cigs and cologne filled my nostrils. I could feel the calluses on his fingertips. Years of guitar playing laid on those fingertips. He chuckled a bit in reaction.

Zacky: woah Melly.

Melly: no Zacky, you don't know how much this means!

I hugged him again. Finding myself purposely pressing myself as close as possible. It was like a magnetic connection. I was so happy. Finally! What a relief. It was like a breath of fresh air.

Melly: Zacky seriously now how am I going to pay you back? You keep helping me out.

Zacky: I'm not doing any more than everyone else.

Melly: you kept me from being molested when I passed out and you got me a job. I owe you something.

Zacky: all you gotta do is make me and the guys look good Melly.

Melly: I can do that. Brian might not let me do his hair though.

Zacky: he will. You're his baby cousin.

He teased. I smiled and shook my head.

Melly: let me take you to lunch or something. Next time you need your hair cut or colored. Let me do it.

Zacky: if it will make you shut up about it then yeah.

His smile. I took a deep breath. I was still in his arms. To close. We were to close. I pulled away.

Melly: care for a drink? To celebrate the job.

Zacky: any reason for a drink.

We walked into house. Todd following. The bar is always fully stocked. I stood behind counter.

Melly: what it'll be Mr. V? Cerveza? Tequila?

Zacky: let's take a celebration shot.

Melly: I'm down for that.

I poured two shots.

Melly: to finally getting some work.

Zacky: to finally getting you to shut up about having no work.

We shared a smile and downed the shots.

Melly: mmm...that was mighty dericious.

Zacky: yes.

Melly: shall we take another?

Zacky: why the hell not.

We took another. I grabbed a beer for myself. Twisting the cap off and taking a long swig.

Melly: what can I get for ya now?

Zacky: I shouldn't be drinking.

Melly: why not?

Zacky: cause I shouldn't.

Melly: you live down the street. You could walk home if need be.

I drank the rest of the beer in one long chug. His perfectly arched brows raised. Eyes a bit wide. I smiled.

Zacky: getting home isn't the issue.

I shoved a full shot glass towards him.

Melly: come on. I know you guys like to drink.

Zacky: we do. I do.

Melly: then?

Zacky: I just don't feel comfortable...getting wasted...with you.

He said thinking while choosing his words. As I was about to say something he cut me off.

Zacky: with just you and no one else around.

He said cautiously.

Melly: am I not cool enough of a person to get drunk with?

Zacky: its not like that. I just don't feel right.

Melly: but you were all up for it outside.

I reached for the shot but he snatched it.

Zacky: hey. I said I shouldn't and don't feel right drinking with you. Not that I wouldn't.

He gave me one of his signature Zacky Vengeance smiles. Then downed the shot.

Zacky: hook it up with a rum and coke.

I bit my lip and nodded. We drank and talked. Nothing to crazy. I didn't drink much more anyway. Just a beer and a half. Zacky well he's bigger than me. Holds liquor better than I ever could.

Melly: so when are you gonna let me take you out to lunch?

Zacky: for what?

Melly: getting me the job and taking care of me dude.

Zacky: I told you not to worry about that. I'm just watchin' out for ya like everyone else.

Melly: c'mon. Just one measly little lunch won't hurt.

Zacky: I don't think your boyfriend Johnny fuckin' Christ would appreciate that.

He winked and drank his beer.

Melly: he's not my boyfriend.

Zacky: that's not the impression the rest of us get.

Melly: you of all people should know we're not. You live with him.

Zacky: psh! Just cause I live with him doesn't mean I know. Plus he's always with you.

Melly: so? I'm always with him. That's just how friends are.

Zacky: fine he's not your boyfriend. Its not healthy to have a security blanket though.

Melly: he is not my security blanket.

Zacky: you go running to Johnny when you don't feel comfortable.

Melly: not true.

He rolled his eyes.

Zacky: and Brian is not your cousin.

Melly: he's just easy for me to talk to is all.

Zacky: you're talking to me just fine.

Melly: you're also a bit buzzed.

Zacky: no I'm just-

He let out a small burp.

Zacky: fine.

He was right though. I had been able to hold an ok conversation with him lately. Still I would get lost looking at him and remind myself to breath. Then he would have to start all over. Kinda like now. I wasn't listening to what he was saying because my mind spaced out. Funny thing is most people lose there train of thought because they are thinking of something else. I lose it because I'm looking at him. Or thinking about him. When he's standing like two feet away from me. Irritating. He came back in focus. His lips moved. Talking about something I didn't hear. I licked my lips. His hair was unkempt today. It laid on his head in a perfect mess. He had the kind of hair you just wanted to run your fingers through. He made frumpy look good. I thought of the many times when Brian would walk around without doing a thing to his hair. I scrunched my face. He didn't have the same grace I suppose the word is. Zacky.

Melly: shall we have another smoke break?

Zacky: we shall.

His hand went to the small of my back. I shivered. Not one step out the door and the smell of smoke filled my nostrils. He held it out to me. I took it and stuck it in my lips. His lips turned up in the corners. I sucked in the vile toxin and let it seep in my lungs.

Zacky: I didn't know you smoked.

Melly: I don't consider myself one. I don't think one drag every six months counts as smoking.

Zacky: it might in some peoples eyes.

He grabbed his cig back and took a slow drag. As he let the smoke escape a sigh came along with it. One that felt like he'd been under much stress.

Zacky: its hard for me ya know.

I frowned.

Melly: what is Zacky?

He huffed a smile. Smoke puffed out.

Zacky: sitting here talking with you, the way we are.

Melly: fuck well sorry ass wipe. Didn't mean to take up your fuckin' time.

I was getting tired of his quick personality switches. I crossed my arms and looked away from him. If I didn't I would just falter and stare at him. I heard him chuckle.

Zacky: no Melly, I mean its hard to keep my thoughts to myself.

Melly: you made it pretty clear. If I'm not your slice of cake I'm cool with that Zacky. Just don't keep letting me think-

Zacky: no baby, I dig ya. You are my slice of cake. I dig every thought of you covered in dericious as you say, moist, sweet cake.

My mouth shut and my eyes widened with confusion. He smirked. Taking the last swig of his beer he tossed the bottle on to the grass. His steps brought him closer. I could feel the door to the house centimeters from my back. He turned his head to the side to avoid blowing smoke in my face. One of his hands kept him supported off the door as he hovered over me.

Zacky: and that's the problem.

My heart was beating nervously. I could feel my breaths become short. Something was about to happen.

Zacky: I didn't lie when I said I didn't feel comfortable drinking with just you.

His face came dangerously close to my neck. I let out a staggered breath.

Zacky: I don't trust me wasted around you.

Melly: why?

I managed to get out. He smiled. He threw his cig on the floor and stepped on it. His finger tips glided down my side. Was this happening? I wasn't scared just nervous. Curious as to what is going down.

Zacky: because...

He pushed his body on mine and my back hit the door. My eyes went even wider. The tip of his nose was touching mine. His eyes were closed. His lips were warm.
♠ ♠ ♠
OH NO JENN OH NO