Status: completed

California Love A7X

First day without Jenn

Brian: fuck! Where could she have put it? Seriously.

I stood a few feet behind my cousin. His hands on his hips as he scanned the room over and over again. Looking for a place he might have missed.

Brian: if I were Jenn, where would I hide a cross?

I laughed a bit shaking my head.

Brian: you find this funny?

He looked at me over his shoulder.

Melly: oh no. Its quite serious.

His eyes narrowed slightly. Then went back to scanning the room. Jimmy came tromping into the room.

Jimmy: what are you looking for? Cause its not in here.

Brian: how do you know? You didn't even let me answer.

Jimmy: well you've been in here for an entire episode of Power Rangers. You would think you would have found it by that time.

Brian: Jim-

Jimmy: Melly is Johnny coming over later?

I shrugged.

Melly: I don't know. Call him via phone and ask him. He's your friend too Jimmy.

Jimmy: but another episode of Power Rangers is going to be on.

Brian: Jimmy, ofcourse Johnny is gonna come over. He's practically in love with my cousin.

Melly: no.

Jimmy and Brian exchanged a look. Jimmy started cracking up.

Melly: what's so funny?

Jimmy: I like that. Melly, you, me pool later.

He laughed his way into the living room.

Brian: I got it.

Melly: what?

Brian: ofcourse why didn't I think of it before.

He headed outside and I followed. Keys jingled in his hand. I watched as he searched Jenn's car. Another nice sunny day in Cali. Love it.

Melly: you think she would actually keep it in there?

Brian: what do you think?

He held the cross up. A mixture of accomplishment and a frown settled on his face.

Melly: guess she would.

Brian: are you absolutely sure you didn't know this was in here?

His eyes narrowed drastically.

Melly: Why would I take part of it?

Brian: why wouldn't you? I see how sneaky you and Jenn are.

Melly: what?

Brian: getting Johnny to stay here. I know you devised it.

Melly: yeah right cus. I told you straight up its cool if you say no.

I crossed my arms.

Melly: plus dude its your house. Its up to you, Jenn, and Jimmy what goes and what stays.

Brian: fine fine. I believe you.

Melly: thank you.

Brian: but I'm keeping these eyes on you.

He pointed at his face then at me. His face was meant to be an intimidating warning. I couldn't help but laugh.

Melly: well now that you found it, why don't you hang it up?

He nodded and proceeded to the door. Taking a step back he admired it.

Brian: looks fuckin' badass. Let's go out for a drink.

Melly: now? Isn't it kinda early?

Brian: no, not really. I didn't mean now though. Tonight. We should go out for a drink. Tell your boyfriend you're busy tonight when he comes.

Melly: he's not my boyfriend.

He rolled his eyes.

Brian: yeah ok. Just tell him.

Melly: I will.

He smiled. Then put an arm on my shoulders, leading me inside.

Brian: lunch?

Melly: what do you want?

Brian: no, I'll make it today.

He said matter factually.

Melly: really? Ok.

Brian: what do ya feel like eating? I make a mean turkey sandwich.

Melly: that sounds good.

Brian: awesome because that's all I feel like making.

I sat at the counter on the island. Brian went back and forth grabbing various things that go in a sandwich. His sandwiches anyway. He stopped to look beyond me then went back to the food. I looked over my shoulder.

Melly: Matt!

Matt: hey Mel. Brian.

Brian: what up?

Matt: nothing just visiting.

Brian: me and Melly found the cross.

Matt: I saw that. Looks amazing as ever.

Brian: it does.

Matt: how goes it without Jenn?

Brian: horrible I got to wash my own clothes.

Matt: I was asking Melly.

Brian: oh.

Melly: its weird.

Matt: that's cause she holds this place together.

Brian placed a plate infront of me. I inspected the sandwich.

Brian: what you don't trust my sandwich making abilities?

Melly: just lookin' at it.

He made a face.

Brian: eat it.

Just as I went to grab it. A pale hand snatched it from my plate. I think everyone could seriously hear my face fall with sadness. I recognized that smooth milky skin anywhere though.

Matt: oh poor Melly.

Brian: you're an asshole.

Zacky's muffled laughter filled my ears. His happy looking face almost made up for him taking my sandwich.

Zacky: hey man ya snooze ya lose.

I gave Brian a sad pouty face. He came to my side and hugged me.

Brian: I'm sorry that big fat ugly smelly shitty rude obnoxious monster took your sandwich. I'll make a more special one for you.

Zacky: I do not smell.

Brian: maybe not today.

Zacky shrugged. He took a seat next to me. My reflex was to move. I did much to quickly. Brian noticed and perked a brow. He shot me a questioning look. I turned towards Matt. He smiled.

Matt: where's your boyfriend?

Melly: he's not my boyfriend.

Matt: right.

Jimmy came walking in laughing more loudly than necessary. We all looked at him.

Jimmy: what?

We all shook our heads.

Jimmy: sandwiches? I want one.

Brian: ugh. I had planned on only making one for me and Melly. And maybe another one for me.

Melly: I'll help you cus.

It was a frenzy. The three asking for sandwich after sandwich. We were lucky the others weren't here. By the time I got to mine I wasn't sure if I was even hungry anymore. Watching them eat like that kinda made my stomach turn.

Brian: annoying assholes. Sorry about that Melly.

Melly: for what your friends being hungry? That's just human nature.

Brian: where's Johnny?

Melly: I don't know.

I shrugged unconcerned.

Brian: you two cool? Or is something up? Need me to kick his ass?

I smiled and shook my head.

Melly: you sound like my brother.

Brian: hope that's a good thing.

Melly: it is. I've been bringing up going back home.

Brian's attention was more serious.

Brian: oh yeah?

I nodded.

Melly: yeah. He doesn't like it. I don't really plan on going back but...

Brian: its something we've all got to remember that could happen. Despite how much some of us don't like that.

He put an arm on my shoulder.

Melly: I think he might be mad.

Brian: psh. That fuckin' kid. I don't think he could ever be mad at you. Ever.

Melly: I hope not.

Brian: so tell me something cus.

Melly: what?

Brian: what's with Zacky?

Melly: what do you mean?

Brian: I notice your sudden avoidance.

Melly: he's an asshole.

He shook his head.

Brian: Jenn's noticed too. What's up. Tell me.

Melly: nothing. I've never really talked to him to begin with.

Brian: you guys seemed cool for like ten seconds. Always talking about zombies and shit.

Melly: zombies only last so long Brian. Plus I'm always here or with Johnny.

Brian: I thought for sure you liked him.

Melly: why?

Brian: cause you talk about him in your sleep and you're always staring at him.

I had nothing to say against that. Its true. I poked at my sandwich. Avoiding my cousins brown eyes. The thing me and him shared for sure.

Brian: Melly are you unhappy here?

I quickly looked at him.

Melly: no. I love it here. Just cause I've been weird lately or whatever doesn't mean I'm unhappy. I'm happier here than I have been back home for a long time. I'm just having an off stretch of time.

Brian: cause if you were unhappy, you'd just have to tell me. So I could try to help fix the problem.

Melly: my problem is you thinking I'm not happy here with you and everyone else.

Brian: tomorrow we can all go to the beach.

Melly: tomorrow is Sunday.

Brian: Sundays used to be beach day. I'm sure Johnny has told you all about that though.

Melly: he has. He tries to tell me the ins and outs of how and what you guys used to do.

Brian: he's good about remembering those days. Despite his drinking habits.

Melly: he's not all that bad of a guy.

Brian: no. They all aren't that bad.

Melly: except for Zacky.

Brian: naw even he is pretty decent. Despite how much of a dick he seems to be. He cares a lot for his friends and family.

Melly: I haven't seen it. Seems more like he likes to piss everyone off.

Brian: he does but we hardly take it seriously.

I take it seriously. Maybe we aren't talking about the same Zacky.

Zacky: you two just gonna stay in here all afternoon or what?

Brian: what is it with you and disrupting private conversations?

Zacky: ehh just like to be a party pooper.