Status: completed

California Love A7X

Gun Theory

The dinner was quiet. I wondered if it was cause of me. Brian didn't really seem to fancy the idea of having me in the house. Understandable. I wouldn't want my cousin living with me either if I lived with my fiance. Which is just another addition to the awkwardness. It seemed though that they might actually be a quiet couple. Well more quiet than the average rocker couple. I watched them and they watched me. Yup. Quiet. The chewing in my mouth was the loudest noise.

Jenn: I guessed at what you might like for dinner.

Melly: oh no dude this shit is good. I love Italian.

Jenn: oh awesome. I told you she would like it.

Brian: whatever.

Melly: umm...look I could ask Uncle Brian if its cool for me just to stay at his house.

I offered up.

Brian: that's ridiculous. We got plenty room here.

I shot a glance at Jenn. Wondering if she was the reason for that response.

Melly: I don't want to impose or anything. I mean was just dropped off like a new born baby at the steps of a church.

He smiled a bit.

Jenn: no. I knew. Like I said earlier I just never got around to telling your cousin here.

She smiled at him.

Brian: no. Its cool. Just caught me by surprise. Besides I'm sure Jenn will like another chick around. And I'm all about helping family. Even if I don't know them.

He said sincerely.

Melly: well the offer stands whenever dude.

He nodded and took a way bigger bite then he should have.

Melly: damn fatass.

He looked at me with food hanging out of his mouth. The noodle stuck to his chin. Jenn looked at him disapprovingly.

Jenn: you're disgusting.

We laughed at his childlike expression. It went back to quiet. The dog was walking around now. I could hear his collar clinking a bit. After dinner I helped Jenn clean up. That was silent aswell. Not a big talker this one. The room they gave me was big. It had a big bed with grey color themed bedding. I started unpacking. Happy knowing that this time I didn't have to worry about putting it all back. An animated voice filled the room. Though it wasn't being outgoing I could tell this voice belonged to someone with such trait.

Guy: well well well...what have a stumbled upon here? Something new. Yes.

A hint of a silly attitude lingered on his light lisp.

Guy: could it be I've come across an intruder. Someone who should not be here?

I heard whoever this voice was move closer.

Guy: but if you were an intruder you wouldn't stand a chance against my amazing ninja fighting skills.

Melly: unless ofcourse I had a gun.

I said to the voice.

Guy: which I would expect you to not bring up if you did.

Melly: maybe that's why I told you, so you wouldn't believe me.

Guy: or maybe you told me knowing I would say I didn't expect you to say that even though you would. Just so I would think you didn't when in reality you do.

Melly: if that is the case, do you really think I've got a gun?

Guy: a question only someone as clever like me would ask. Because you know no matter my answer I can't believe the answer I pick.

Melly: that would be the case. With that being said what is your next move?

Jenn: Jimmy! You're home!

I quickly turned. The voice was being mauled in a bear hug by Jenn. The tall thin man I recognized even though I looked at his back.

Jimmy: no Jenn. We've got an intruder. I was about to unleash my ninja skills on her ass.

She let him go and he faced me. He had a grin stretching from ear to ear. I smiled in reaction.

Jenn: Jimmy she's not an intruder, this is Brian's cousin.

He frowned and gave Jenn a side glance.

Jenn: Melly this Jimmy. Aka the Rev.

I held out my hand.

Melly: nice to meet you Jimmy.

He looked at my hand like it was some strange forign object. Then like nothing he wrapped his long skinny arms around me. I froze in reaction. I felt the vibration of his laughing.

Jimmy: I'm so excited! Nice to meet you Melly!

He released me and took a step back. He instantly started asking questions. I could see now. Why it seemed Brian and Jenn were quiet. They had Jimmy. As you may wonder, yes I know what band my cousin participates in. I like their music. I just never knew what I know now. I never once imagined I'd be in this situation. In that moment I questioned how my life might change.

Jimmy: so you had no idea you were cousins with Brian.

Melly: nope not at all.

Jenn: that's crazy.

Melly: tell me about it. I still can't get over it yo.

Jenn: I can imagine.

Jimmy: why are you so shy?

Melly: what?

Jenn: maybe she is shy Jimmy.

Jimmy: impossible. Hairdressers are anything but that.

Jenn: how do you know she's a hairdresser?

Jimmy: she's got all the equipment.

He pointed out. I saw Jenn's eyes light up. I loved that look in peoples eyes. It made me feel good knowing some needed my skills.

Melly: I'm not shy. Its just I've been thinking a lot the past days. Even before I got here.

Jenn: understandable. I know how you feel. About your family thing.

She gave me a smile.

Jenn: Jimmy there's food if you're hungry. I am going to bed. Night.

Melly: night.

Jimmy: sweet dreams. Well I am off. To feed my stomach. Night Brian's cousin.

He literally ran out of the room. I let myself fall on my bed. A sigh left my lips.

Brian: you met Jimmy.

I sat up quickly.

Melly: yeah he's awesome.

He smiled. I took a good look at him. He did the same. We sat in silence for a bit.

Melly: you look a lot like Uncle Brian.

Brian: it happens. Listen if you need anything just let any of the three of us know.

Melly: Jimmy lives here too?

Brian: yeah.

Melly: sweet.

Brian: tomorrow we can get you new bedroom shit.

Melly: oh don't worry man. This is good enough.

Brian: no. Its grey.

He sounded disgusted. I let out a small laugh.

Melly: hey man grey is fly.

Brian: tomorrow we'll get you new bedroom shit. Goodnight.

He walked out closing the door behind him. I laid back down. I stared at the ceiling. My thoughts still going so fast. To fast to fully process all of them. I changed into my p.j.s slowly. Tomorrow would be a new start. I walked out of my room. I could hear Todd running around in Brian and Jenn's room. I made my way down the stairs. Jimmy was watching t.v.

Jimmy: what up Melly.

Melly: nothing just getting a cup of water.

Jimmy: there's water bottles in the fridge.

Melly: thanks.

The night was warm. It was nice. I looked back and bit my lip. I went outside through the kitchen. The night air felt good. Just the right temperature. The pool looked inviting at the moment. I only let my foot taste the water. I smiled. I sat in one of the pool chairs. My eyes watched the stars for a long time. I couldn't see them the same in Seattle. This would be good for me. I could see myself really enjoying California. Not because of who lived in the house. But because it was the change I needed. The fact that my cousin was famous didn't phase me the way it would most people. I was surprised yes. I could not deny the shock I had. Who wouldn't be if they found out they had a relative who had a name for themselves. It was cool aswell. I just didn't care though. He was still just a dude. A dude who made his career playing guitar. I had no plans to use him in anyway, most would if they had a rich friend. Money is one of my least favorite things. I shrugged at my own thoughts. I stood up and went back inside. Jimmy fell asleep on the couch. I took the dishes he used and washed them. I grabbed a blanket resting on a recliner and covered him. He rolled over wrapping it tightly around him. Quietly I made my way up to my room. I smiled again remembering tomorrow was a new start. And I loved it.