Status: completed

California Love A7X

Bloody Predictable

Natural warmth of the sun hit my skin. I stood watching Jenn remove the gotti cross from the door.

Jenn: I fucking hate this thing. I don't know why he bought it. Its so fucking retarded looking.

She looked at me over her shoulder.

Jenn: if he asks, you know nothing.

I let out a ha. As if a major victory she threw the cross into the garage. Then took a box and covered it.

Jenn: he'll never find it! But to be safe.

She grabbed a cooler and placed it on top of the box.

Melly: is this all really necessary?

Jenn: yes. You don't understand. Its really stupid looking.

Melly: yeah I'm not disagreeing with that but who cares.

Jenn: I do. I don't want people to get the wrong impression the first time they come over.

Melly: I guess. Hey Jenn.

Jenn: yeah?

Melly: do you think, you could take me job hunting.

Jenn: yeah no problem.

Melly: are there any cool salons around here?

Jenn: this is Cali.

She laughed. The cool house air was welcoming.

Jenn: we can go tomorrow. Today we're busy.

Melly: with what?

Jenn: we've got to make some potato salad.

Melly: alrighty. What's the occasion for the potato salad?

Jenn: its a grill day.

Melly: ah. Isn't everyday here like a grill day?

Jenn: I guess.

Melly: where's Jimmy? I haven't seen him today?

Jenn: I don't know.

She quickly pulled out her phone and dialed a number. I focused on my work. I'm not one to eves drop.

Melly: hello Todd.

He sat and looked up at me. He was a cute small dog. Hairy bastard. I smiled at him and he walked off.

Jenn: they're like five minutes away.

Melly: oh.

Matt: not me. I'm here.

Jenn: hi mama.

He gave her a brotherly smile.

Matt: hello Jenn.

She grinned widely and continued.

Matt: hello Melly.

Melly: hi.

My wrists were no loner red. The scratches on his neck however were still evident. He took a seat at the counter chairs.

Matt: how you liking' it here so far?

Melly: its like a vacation I never have to leave.

His smile reappeared.

Brian: I've got meat!

Jenn: I'll say.

Melly: gross!

Jimmy: oh Melly. Don't be nasty.

Matt chuckled.

Melly: hey they said it.

Jimmy: but you thought it.

Melly: now now Jimmy.

Matt: careful Jimmy she might go jungle cat on your ass.

Jimmy laughed almost condecendingly.

Jimmy: don't be so ridiculous Matthew.

Matt: hey man she almost took me down.

Jimmy smirked. I glanced at Jenn and Brian. They seemed entertained by the talk their friends were having.

Matt: alomost.

He emphasized.

Jimmy: that's the difference between you and me. I would have unleashed my ninja worrior skills.

Matt: in the end I won.

Melly: and yet you still have marks from the great battle. I don't.

I heard Brian laugh a bit. Matt glared at me then quickly smiled.

Matt: yes true. I guess the difference between me and Jimmy is that I would never hit a girl.

Jimmy: and the truth unravles! But if she attacks as a jungle cat would its prey my dear friend I would be inclined to defend myself. Therefore I would not be afraid to hit a girl. Especially if she is as...animalistic as you say she is. She made the first hit. The situatuion changes a bit.

A laugh was Matt's only response. He was soon joined by the rest.

Jimmy: as we all know though I would never harm any part of nature. No matter how much of a jungle cat she is.

Melly: in that case my species is safe and can live to see yet another day.

More laughter filled the room. The front door opened and shut. Todd was on his feet and running towards the voices.

Matt: finally they showed up.

I listened intently. Though I only stared at the hard boiled eggs I was cutting up. One voice. Young in tone. Much younger than Brian or Jimmy's. It sounded fun and mischeivious. In a different way than Jimmy's. More like a child. Curious. The other. Was not low in tone like Matt's or higher like the other mysterious voice entering the house. It was in the middle. Even and smooth. The hint of a smile rang in it. Much like the rest of them. My curious gaze left the eggs and went to the faces I expected in suprise. My eyes wandered slowly. Ingesting every part of him. He was...infatuating to look at. As much as my eyes looked him over it was not enough. At first I didn't notice. The sensation my body felt. My mind had me else where.

Brian: Melly!

My eyes darted to his anxious face. I frowned. How dare he disrupt my moment of observation.

Brian: you're bleeding!

Melly: what?

I quickly looked at the sensation that seemed to be more in focus now. The whites of the eggs were neatly splattered with my blood.

Jenn: don't just stand there like a dumbass Brian! Get a towel!

Jenn's wet hands removed my grip from the knife. They moved fast. Working to find the source of the bleeding. I puckered my lips at the light twinge of pain. I took my hands from hers. She looked at me. I turned to the sink and let the water clean the blood from my hand. I took this moment to glance back at him. Brain came back and threw a towel at me. Catching me off gaurd.

Brian: how bad is it? Do you need stitches? Are you feeling faint? Do you want to sit down?

Melly: I'm thinking you're the one who needs to sit down cus.

He nodded and leaned against the counter. I smiled.

Melly: does he always get this pandamonic about petty little cuts?

Jenn: yeah. He thinks it means automatic death or some shit.

I laughed a bit. I felt all the eyes on me.

Jenn: now let me take a look. Its pretty fucking sick. But no trips to the hospital. Let me go get a band aid or something.

I held my hand towards Brian's face. He flinched.

Melly: really dude? Its just a small cut yo.

He pushed my hand away.

Brian: stop.

I laughed a little and took a place against the counter next to him. Someone cleared their throat. I looked at the two new people in the room. My eyes still lingering. Jenn came back and placed a make shift band aid on my cut. Gauze and medical tape. Another throat clearing. She rolled her eyes and looked at me.

Jenn: how many times has he done that?

Melly: twice.

Brian: and as soon as I finish this sentence three.

Right on cue. Brian flashed me and Jenn a smile. With a sharp turn she faced the others with a finger in the air.

Jenn: Zackary Baker if you fucking clear your throat one more time.

Apperently she knew another one was coming.

Zacky: thirds always the charm.

Another eye roll from Jenn.

Jenn: Melly let me Not have the pleasure of inroducing you to Zacky. Johnny on the other hand can be tolerable.

Johnny: aww come on Jenn. I'm not horrible.

Jenn: as said before tolerable. You can still be taught, its too late for Zack.

Zacky: you wouldn't want me any other way then what I already am.

Jenn: no, maybe I could do without the throat clearing. The whole impatience thing really.

He shrugged.

Zacky: I'm not that bad.

She smiled and hugged him. Clearly a mock argument. She brought the two to me. I felt myself press closer to the counter. As if the space between me and him was not enough. Brian placed arm around me.

Zacky: for some reason when you said younger cousin I expected, someone Mckenna's age.

Jenn laughed.

Jenn: why on earth would you think they would trust Brian with a twelve year old!

Johnny: good point.

Brian: hey fuck you Johnny. I can totally handle a twelve year old. Me and Mckenna do a lot of things together.

Jenn: yeah but she doesn't live here Brian.

She went back to making food. I followed suit. A hand on my shoulder spun me around. I stared at Johnny and Zacky wide eyed.

Melly: yes?

They both smiled and handed me a box.

Melly: ummm...what's this?

Zacky: a gift.

As I was about to hand it back Brian shot me a look.

Melly: thanks. You really Shouldn't have.

Zacky: its cool.

Jenn: I wonder what it could be?

She asked sarcastically. He glared at her.

Zacky: ignore her. Open it.

I hate when people I don't know get me things. It makes me feel awkward. My least favorite part of my birthdays and christmas is gift exchange. I love giving people gifts. Receiving them on the other hand. Like I said awkward for me. I slowly opened the box. The contents contained a shirt, a necklace, stickers, and bandana.

Zacky: that's all new shit from my line.

Jenn: your so predictable.