Status: completed

California Love A7X

I need

My legs were hanging into the pool. I swung them back and forth. Enjoying the feeling of the water. My new Ed Hardy shades hung on my nose. Keeping the sun out of my eyes. Todd paced behind me, being cautious about getting to close. The music in my ears blocked out any noise that I would usually be able to hear. I sang shamelessly. Loud and proud.

Melly: SOME PEOPLE CALL ME THE SPACE COWBOY!!! SOME PEOPLE ME THE GANGSTER OF LOVE!!! SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE!!! CAUSE I SPEAK ON THE POM- AHHHHH! Holy shit!

Zacky was chuckling next to me. He came out of no where. I just stared at him as he laughed. I remembered to breath when I started to feel light headed. His lips curled into a smile I can't explain. Entertained I suppose is the best way to put it. For as long as I've been here which is a week and some days, he's the only one whom I haven't really talked to. So I still feel a bit weird with him. I'm not sure why we haven't talked but it is what it is and its no biggy. Its hard to keep up with all of them. Plus they all have lives, I don't expect any of them to have to talk to me or shit like that. He seemed to get a grip and stop laughing. His lips moved. Talking. To bad I couldn't hear a fuckin' word he said. Steve Miller was still singing The Joker in my ears. My expression was blank. His smile remained. One hand tugged my ear plugs out.

Zacky: where's your cousin?

Melly: inside.

He shook his head.

Zacky: no one answered the door. Shit I half expected you to pounce on me like you did Matt, when I let myself in.

He chuckled again.

Zacky: that by the way was an amazing story.

I smiled a little.

Melly: they might have gone to the store.

Zacky: makes sense there's hardly any food in the house.

He looked back with a glare. Which was quickly replaced with a smile.

Zacky: so what are you doing?

Melly: just writing out a resume.

Zacky: for what?

Melly: to get a job.

Zacky: that sounds not fun in any way.

Melly: that's what Brian said. I gotta do it though.

Zacky: so what hair place you lookin' to work at?

Melly: at this point it doesn't really matter. I just need to get working.

Zacky: it should matter. If its what you love to do.

Melly: why? I just need some cash flow.

Zacky: well I wouldn't be Zacky Vengeance if I didn't care about what I do.

He had a point.

Zacky: plus you've only been here for like a week.

I shrugged.

Melly: I don't like to put things off.

Zacky: apparently not.

I stared across the pool. I decided to focus on a random bush.

Zacky: do you know when Brian and Jenn will be back?

Melly: no, I didn't even know they left until you said. But if you want I can tell them you stopped by when they come home.

Zacky: are you hinting I should leave?

Melly: no.

Zacky: sounds like you are.

Melly: I'm not. I just thought since they aren't here you wouldn't want to stick around.

Zacky: you're here.

Melly: oh.

Was all I could manage. We sat quietly for a moment. Todd was now sitting contently between me and Zacky. His light panting seemed comforting.

Melly: I want a dog. You think Brian and Jenn will let me get one?

Zacky: yeah. And if not, Jenn totally will. I've got a dog.

Melly: what's its name?

Zacky: Ichabod.

Melly: that's sweet dude.

Zacky: he's a cute little fucker. I'll bring him over someday. Or if you guys ever come over.

Melly: do you live with anyone?

Zacky: my dog. Johnny sorta.

Melly: sorta?

Zacky: its kinda in the working. He's got a flat. But he's hardly there and I've got a house that's pretty big for one person. Matt's already got a room mate. And your cousin has two, well three now. So yeah.

Melly: who does Matt live with?

Zacky: Danny.

Melly: Danny? Who's that?

Zacky: you still haven't met him?

I shook my head. He smiled again. He didn't seem to notice the fact I wasn't looking at him.

Zacky: you will. So is resame writing taking up your whole day?

Melly: no. I'm just doing it now so I can type it later. I have to ask if I can use their computer.

Zacky: why?

Melly: because its not my house.

Zacky: so? They won't care.

Melly: I don't know that.

Zacky: take my word for it. They would get you one if you asked for it.

Melly: I don't need my own. I just need to use theirs.

Johnny: Melly Mel.

I turned and a huge smile spread across my face. His kid like grin was an infection.

Melly: my cousin isn't here. Sorry sweetie.

He frowned but kept the smile.

Johnny: psh fuck Brian. I'm not shy like the rest of the guys. I'm not ashamed to say I came to see you. I'm hurt you would even think that.

Melly: well that's what everyone else says Johnny. What am I supposed to think.

Zacky: hey I am here to see Brian. I miss him.

I laughed at his childish tone. He smirked a bit. I got up. Water dripped from my legs.

Zacky: hey watch it Melly.

Melly: sorry. So you're here to see me Johnny?

Johnny: hell yeah. Brian not only is unattractive, he's taken. So I couldn't even get drunk and try to get with him.

Zacky: I knew you were gay for him.

Johnny: what can I say that Haner charm is irresistible.

Zacky walked up and playfully hit Johnny's shoulder.

Melly: well if that's true your talking to the wrong cousin.

Johnny: no I'm not. You're the one I want to talk to.

Melly: alright. So what you need Johnny? A haircut? Hair color?

Johnny: a date.

Melly: uhh...what?

Johnny: I need a date.

Melly: sorry. I can't help you, the only people I know here are five guys and one chick. The one chick I do know happens to be engaged to one of the five guys.

He laughed.

Johnny: no, no, Melly. I meant I need, want a date with you. Do you want to go out sometime?

His brown eyes showed no shame, no insecurity, just curiosity. The smile on his face remained unphased by my pause.

Zacky: do you thinks its a good idea Johnny?

The brown eyes flickered at his friend only for a moment.

Zacky: she hasn't even answered obviously she doesn't want to go. I don't blame her.

Johnny: that's cause she is surprised.

Melly: I am. I don't really uhh...know what to say?

Johnny: yes or no.

Melly: its just, I'm me and you're you. I don't know what I'm trying to explain.

Johnny: what? Come on Melly it'd be like our second date.

Melly: second? When was the first?

Johnny: that party we all went to remember.

Melly: that's right. Mr. Christ, you call that a proper first date? Sadly mistaken.

He grinned widely.

Johnny: so then we know the answer to fix that.

I bit my lip and smiled.

Melly: we do.

Johnny: so what do ya say?

Melly: yeah dude.

He hugged me tightly. Zacky was frowning when we pulled away.

Melly: when is this happening then?

Johnny: tomorrow. Don't worry Melly. Strictly as friends first.

I breathed easy. That makes it less awkward. Todd ran to the back door and started barking.

Zacky: Brian's home. They got food! Quick to the Haner cave!

I chuckled a bit. He ran into the house.

Johnny: are you cool with us going out? Cause if you don't want to, you can say no.

Melly: did I say no?

Johnny: no.

Melly: ok then. If I didn't want to, boy you would know.

He chuckled. We walked into the house shoving and playing around. Brian looked annoyed.

Melly: are you ok cus?

Brian: Zacky fucking parked in Jenn's spot. He knows better than that. He thinks cause he's got a damn little porsche he can be a hot shit and just park where ever. Sorry Mr. Vengeance. Doesn't work that way in the Haner house. Then Johnny you got your big ass mother fucking truck parked infront of the drive way.

Johnny: let me guess Jenn is moving it?

He grinned at Brian, who got more annoyed.

Brian: you left your keys on the counter of course she's moving it.

Johnny: good now I don't have to.

He put his arm around my shoulder.

Johnny: speaking of cars. Melly what are doing for a car right now?

Melly: I don't have one.

Brian: what a stupid question. She moved here from another state. Not another city dumbass.

Johnny: she did too move from another city. Seattle is a city.

Brian glared at him.

Brian: fucking Johnny. You smartass mother fucker.

Johnny: thanks buddy I didn't know you thought so highly of me.

His childish grin stretching widely before dodging Brian's punch.

Jenn: knock it off you two.

Johnny: ofcourse Jenn, as long as Brian stops picking on me.

Jenn: Brian what did I say about that.

His face fell. Disbelief sprawled across it.

Brian: Jenn! I did not do anything!

Johnny turned me towards him.

Johnny: anyways back to my question what are you doing for a car?

Melly: I ask Jenn and Brian to take me somewhere if I need to. And that was just to look for salons. So you know.

Johnny: hmm I see. I have an idea.

He smiled.

Melly: what's going on up in that bleached little head of yours?

Zacky: ha! Johnny doesn't even know the answer to that.

Melly: I can believe that.