The Sick Among the Pure

Down is the New Up

Late again, that's no surprise to the band and Maynard. I ran in, got coffee, and then speed walked to the studio. I saw the man's convertible on the road puling in to the same parking spot as yesterdays, but I was way ahead.

"Okay, so what's the excuse today?" Marius asked as I barged into the room. "Oh shut up!" I gave him an annoying look and waved to Maynard. "Don't even bother sitting down, we're leaving for the photo shoot." I sensed that he was a bit ticked off again but I ignored it. We got in the limo and I thought of the gorgeous man I've been seeing every day.

When we got to the shoot Maynard cleared everything up between the magazine it was being shot for and quickly left. I didn't even notice that he was gone until later when I needed to complain to him. "Miss, please, no covering up. This is also a fashion magazine..." the gay photographer bitched. They made me wear practically nothing and to add on to that, I shot pictures alone. I was about to storm out because I was so upset but then Maynard came in, slowly checking me out and then walking over to the rest of the band. As soon as the photographer told me to go change I walked over to Maynard, grabbing his hand and making him go into the changing room with me. "Maynard...look at me!" I started complaining, close to tears. "Yeah, you look great." He replied scanning my body with his eyes. I shook my head, "No. This is just gonna add on to the whole slut thing, you don't understand!" I closed my eyes to stop the tears. "Why are you so fucking insecure, I don't get it!?" I opened my eyes and gave him an upset look. "Come on..." he dragged me by the arm and placed me in front of the mirror. "...look how gorgeous you look, I'm practically getting a hard on from looking at you!" he rubbed my arms with his hands. "I'm not going out there again unless they make me put some clothes on." I told him in a serious tone. "Maxinne, what do I need to do to make you relax?" He whispered in my ear as he grabbed me closer to him. We looked at each other in the mirror, I knew he was trying his best. "Can you please tell them not to use those pictures? I'm begging you Maynard, I'll stop complaining after this." I told him and snuggled into his chest and put his arms over me. "Alright, I'll do my best, now change and finish the shoot." I smiled and kissed him on the cheek, quickly changing into the clothes they had laid out for me. Maynard walked out and I hoped for the best. We finished up the shoot and this time it was the whole band together, which made it a whole lot more fun.

After the shoot we headed over to the venue for sound check. I had no idea being a musician meant no free time at all. I found myself being thrown around from person to person, being asked questions and thrown orders every second. I couldn't handle it anymore and went to the bathroom just to cool down and relax for a few minutes. I digged into my pocket and pulled out my new best friend, cocaine. It was my little secret and it helped me relax on stage. I also became more polite and social, which I suppose helped in the music industry. I got into it about a month ago at some party, it was everywhere and it seemed like a normal thing to everyone that was there. At first I was afraid to try it, both of my parents used to be alcoholics and I knew I had an addictive personality, it just ran in the family. But that first time felt too good to be real, I got sucked in almost immediately. It was my new escape.

I opened the door and jumped when I saw Maynard standing there observing me. "Hey, what's up?" I asked quickly looking away from him. "MTV is here to tape the show! I just needed to share that with you. They want a few questions with you as well, if you don't mind..." He said grabbing me by the arm and pulling me out of the bathroom. "Sure, whatever makes them happy" "Good, glad to hear that. Where's the positivity coming from?" he rubbed my neck as we walked, making me laugh because it tickled. I kept silent and looked around. "I'm serious... did you get laid or something?"he asked again making me laugh. "No, I wish. I might be falling in love with a stranger though..." I told him as I looked up. Maynard let out a laugh and shook his head. "He kind of looks like an older version of Trent Reznor, I'll show you him someday if you ever decide to pick me up so I'm not late" "Trent and I are good buddies. Maybe if you behave I'll introduce you two." We got to my changing room and opened the door to see the film crew all ready. "I'm too afraid to meet him" I told Maynard as I sat down, then greeted the crew and everyone else.

MTV: So let's start out with an easy one, what are some of your influences ?
Maxinne: Love easy ones. Nine Inch Nails, Bauhaus, Depeche Mode, Radiohead, Throbbing Gristle.
MTV: Are you a fan of Maynard's band at all?
Maxinne: Oh yeah, definitely. I mean the man is a genius, no doubt about it. Sometimes I wish I had his vocal chords!
MTV: How did you guys meet?
Maxinee: Well, he came to one of our shows actually. A few years ago I believed in fan mail, so I sent him one of the paintings I did of him and in the back I put a CD. I suppose he was impressed by it and replied. Shit like that never happens, but it was definitely worth trying.
MTV: Impressive. Would you ever help out a fan like he did?
Maxinee: For sure. The whole band has been getting used to getting fan mail, and we've been trying our best to reply. I promise we'll get our shit together soon though and if we dig it, you never know what might happen.
MTV: That'd be great. So, there have been rumors going around that you and Maynard were a couple for some time but then broke it off. Is that true?
Maxinee: No none of that is true. Maynard and I have become great friends and strictly business, nothing more.
MTV: Will you guys be touring soon, what's the schedule look like?
Maxinee: We have three more shows next week in the California area. We're currently working on putting together a first tour, so check back on that soon. At the moment we're just doing interviews, shoots, and we have our CD release party next week. We're super stoked about that.
MTV: Well, great. That sounds good and we'll definitely keep everyone informed about the tour. Thank you!

I shook the guys hand and gave him a small smile. That wasn't so bad at all, he was one of the nicer guys that has interviewed me. I quickly left the back stage area and walked out towards the stage to see if everything was set up. "Heard you handled the interview like a lady! Good job." Maynard sneaked up behind me and curled his hand around my waist. "I tried my best. They asked if we were dating." I let out a small laugh and looked at him. "God, you wish we were!" he joked. All of this talk must be getting to his head, making him think he's the hottest shit. "I'm gonna go relax a bit before the show..." I told him quickly before the silence got awkward. "Kay. I have to run out soon too, I don't think I'll be able to see the show tonight. I know you'll do a good job without me though..." He kissed my head quickly and we started walking opposite ways. "Oh and Max! Lay off the drinks tonight!" He said loudly making me turn around to look at him. I gave him the middle finger and went to my little room with the couch and took a small nap.