The Little Mermaid

1/1

The Little Mermaid

The glittering seaweed swayed pleasantly along with the relaxed current, resigning to the sea’s monotonous way. Peach-tinted coral stands lined up as if ready to face battle, inert and ready. A rebellious eel snakes past, surveying its surroundings with unmasked discretion.

A couple of young angelfish swim cautiously through the looming anemone, scanning the open water for any threat that they may come across. The seaweed loom either side of the fish, brushing against their excited fins, urging them back to safety. Neither take heed and they glide deliriously into the clearing, painted with many shades of emerald and sapphire, its colours merging perfectly. The fish become engaged in a sprightly game, swiping at each other playfully as they enjoy the calm sensation of the water around them.

The water turns icy and still, and there is not a movement in the sea. The creatures who had been watching the young fish with curiosity had fled without a trace, while the seaweed had become frozen, not daring to contradict the suddenly menacing water surrounding them. Mist began to enclose the oblivious fish, still enjoying their childish game and started to come so close that they would choke. Not an inch of clear water was in their sight and they became blind as the fog swirled around them, condemning them to death.

The water began to ripple around them, causing an unnatural stir. A presence was felt in the piercing sludge, eliminating all sense of bravery. It came slowly towards them, cruelly circling them, waiting to capture its prey. Cutting through the darkening fog, a wave of satin ebony hair uncurled along with an inky silhouette. That was all they saw, and then, the darkest black.

***

A cool summer breeze collided with his drawn face and his tired eyes. The prince walked along the beach, his feet kicking up sand and discarded shells, his hands buried deep in his pockets. A sigh escaped his mouth and his eyes followed the course of the beach to the horizon, taking in the slowly setting sun and the silver sparkles decorating the exhausted waves.

Being royalty wasn’t as good as everyone thought it was. The responsibility was overwhelming, the pressure was excruciating and lately, it seemed to be all about getting himself a wife. No-one seemed to understand his position, or how easy it is for him to slip up. He felt alone in the world.

Setting himself down on the glacial steps trickling down the beach, he stole a hopeless glance up at his home. More like a prison than a home. The turrets looked to him like swords, held ready in the hilt; the slit windows showed no sign of escape; the titanic guarded doors seemed like a trap, suffocating him with no hint of regret.

He buried his head in his hands, feeling tears slip furtively through his eyelids. What he would do to get away from all of this.

He felt an unexpected shiver course through his entire body, and he looked up curiously. How did it get dark so quickly? The day was almost gone; the sun was only giving away a trickle of light that blinded him as he looked into it. The air had turned cold, icy almost, and a thin layer of mist was present as he sat stunned.

The prince stood up and looked around at his castle, intending to sit by the fire and drift once more inside his own thoughts. But something made him stop dead.

A voice was singing. And not just any voice, but an enchanting melody that reverberated around the deserted beach. It almost echoed even though it was barely more than a hum. The song overwhelmed the prince, overtaking his soul and mind. This was something worth living for, and he would do anything to find it.

Yet he had barely taken a step when he saw her. A beautiful woman was sat on a smooth rock, clothed in an elegant pearl coloured dress, her smile bewitching the prince immediately. He was enchanted by her, and he felt himself fall in love. The once tranquil sea was raging and the waves were roaring, surf spraying up and lightly splashing the woman, though she didn’t feel it, or chose to ignore it. She was the most ravishing girl he had ever laid eyes on, and even though she radiated utter beauty, something inside his mind begged him to stay put, to walk away and forget about her.

Do not touch her.

He shrugged off his worries and, almost as if he was in a trance, he descended the stone steps, worn to satin smoothness by the procession of centuries of feet. The prince walked slowly, his eyes glazed over as he came to her. She stood up, and he noticed that her lips weren’t moving. The sound came as if from nowhere, filling the air and dipping in and out of his ears, mesmerising him. She came to him and looked into his eyes, showing calm intensity. Her face was beautiful and kind, but her eyes were different; they showed no expression and were blank, wide and staring. She barely seemed to blink.

She tilted her head upwards and kissed him once on the lips. He closed his eyes but hers were open, unblinking, studying him. Her lips tasted of poison, but somehow, he couldn’t break away. She draw lines on him with her fingers, pleasure to him, analysis for her. She took her hand away and slipped it into her dress, extracting a perfectly formed dagger, cool to the touch as she felt the deadly point of the blade, and without hesitation or breaking the kiss, she plunged it deep into his heart, causing his eyes to flicker immediately open and scream in pain. Her piercing stare overtook him and he returned the gaze, yet as she was expressionless, his face was etched with pain.

He fell to the ground, blood pouring out from his chest, staining the once golden sand. She knelt down by him, waves lapping at her feet, and she stroked his cheek while he lay dying. She continued until the moment he died, all the while gazing down at him, penetrating him with just one look. Her gleaming eyes scanned the horizon, and the underwater creatures sensed her glare; the fish fled, the sharks cowered, and the monsters feared for so long retreated far back to their sanctuaries, waiting with vigilance until the one who now dominated the seas was gone forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed it.