My Famous Last Words

Gifts

So my proposal didn't go down well. Did we go back? No. Did he really even listen to me? Not even. Am I happy about it? No chance.
Which is why we're now somewhere in Maine. Good thing I don't get cold anymore. It's -14 freaking degrees outside. I was lying on the couch in the hotel room while Emmett paced.
"You know he's only going to be even more mad now that we've run," I pointed out.
"I know! But there's nothing else we could do!" Emmett snapped.
I sighed and looked out the window, away from him, reminding myself he was only scared, though he would never admit it. I was almost surprised when he said quietly next to me, "I'm sorry. I'm just scared for you."
Well I was wrong. I smiled softly. "It's okay. I know. I understand. I just still think we should go back and talk to him."
He sighed. "I know, but I don't know how Aro would react to us coming back just like that."
"Well maybe if we went back like right now, he wouldn't be suspicious of anything?" I realized how ridiculous that sounded halfway through saying it. "Forget I said that."
"I'll call Carlisle and see what he thinks," Emmett said, pulling out his phone.
"Carlisle, what's going on?" He asked. Pause. "Bar Harbor." Pause. "To go back and tell Aro she doesn't want to go to Italy." Pause. "I know, I know. I know." Longer pause. "I don't know what to think, I want to think he'll listen but I know he won't." Really, really long pause. "Are you hearing yourself? That's insane!" Pause. "I don't know." Pause. "Okay, okay, we're coming."
I jumped up and smiled. He hung up soon after and turned to me. "We're going back, I guess."
I grabbed both of our bags and nearly skipped to the car. I still wasn't sure how confident I was in his 'faster than running' theory, but whatever. We're going back!

When we arrived back in Canada, and pulled up at the house, I was almost scared to go inside. After half a second's hesitation I got out and followed Emmett inside.
The first person to appear in front of us was Alice, of course, who immediately hugged me. "It's okay. You're not going anywhere."
Mason appeared behind her and I went to hug him as well. "This guy really creeps me out, Jen. More than Marilyn Manson."
I raised one eyebrow, Marilyn Manson was our joke from when we were little, both of us having been very freaked out at the sight of the guy.
"Ah, here they are!" I recognized the voice immediately as Aro's, and spun around to face him, making myself smile.
"Hi, I'm Jenna," I said, glancing at Emmett, who moved next to me.
"Oh, I definitely know who you are," he replied, smiling wider. "It seems you have some...gifts?"
I shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant. "I don't think so. Nothing's really fact, yet."
He held his hand out for mine. "May I?"
I glanced at Carlisle, who gave me a small nod and I put my hand in Aro's.
I watched as his expression turned from one of excitement to one of great confusion. After a few seconds he let go and said, "It's like a television with a very bad signal."
I had no idea what to say to that. "Why would that be?"
"The only other person whose mind I can't read is...Bella's," Aro said, as though to himself. "Jenna, I would love it if you would come back to Italy with me, you would almost definitely be our biggest asset there-"
"No," Emmett and Carlisle said simultaneously.
After glancing at each other, Carlisle continued, "Aro, she's a very young vampire, not even a year. She doesn't know much about anything."
Aro continued to stare at me. "We could show her."
Before anyone else could speak for me, I said, "Aro, I greatly appreciate your offer, but I’m very content to stay here with the Cullens. I'd be happy to help you with just about anything you need me to, but I'd really like to stay here."
I noticed Carlisle and Emmett wince at my words, but I watched to see what Aro's reaction would be.
He sighed and said, "Very well. I can see you are not going anywhere. Perhaps in a few months or so you could come and visit Italy?"
I smiled and nodded. "Sure."

Hours had passed and no one had quite recovered from Aro's visit. I was in the middle of watching Spain play the United States in soccer when Carlisle came in and said, "Jenna. I have a theory."
My attention was completely on him now, as was everyone else's.
"What is it?" Esme asked.
"I think you can take the special abilities of people around you and use them yourself, although to a lesser degree," Carlisle said.
I thought about it and everything that had happened lately, from knowing what would happen at school before it happened, knowing what Emmett was thinking, Aro having trouble reading my mind, hitting the baseball so far, not be wild like a typical newborn, unintentionally making everyone happier on the way to play baseball. It did make sense. I had received lesser degrees of everyone's abilities, from Alice, Edward, Bella, Emmett, Jasper. I slowly looked up at Carlisle. "I think you're right."
♠ ♠ ♠
I finally got another one out! I just got up this morning and decided I would finish this chapter. Sorry it took so long! I'll try to be better about it, although I have soccer camp this Saturday until the following Friday. Ugh. Pray for.