‹ Prequel: Paparazzi Pandemonium

Hiding Heartache

Chapter Six

-Regan-

“Aunt Kate, Uncle Dan, I’m going for a walk okay?” I asked as I picked up my cell phone off of the kitchen counter and stuck it in my purse, preparing to head out the door.

“Sure Sweetie,” My Aunt Kate answered giving me a big huge before gesturing to the clock “be back in thirty minutes okay?”

“Will do.” I assured before walking out the door. I let out a sigh as I stared my journey around this foreign neighborhood. These quiet streets were the polar opposite of what I was use to in the Big Apple. There were children riding there bikes with friends, dogs barking, birds chirping, and tress everywhere. It kind of reminded me of a simpler, quieter version of Central Park- only with houses. After about ten minutes of walking I decided to take a break at sit on a park bench facing the small man-made pond in the middle of the neighborhood.

I sat down, closed my eyes and immediately I saw him. Ever sense Annie unknowingly filled me in on who my mystery boy my head and my heart have been in constant battle. My head is telling me to avoid him as much as possible. The last thing I needed was to drag someone as perfect as him into my huge mess of a life; but my heart is singing a different tune. My heart is telling me that I need to do something for once that will make me happy, that I need to forget about the past and let him in. Needless to say I’m confused but on thing I know for sure is that I want nothing more then to see him in person again.

My train of thought was broken by the sound of my phone vibrating in my purse. After digging around for a moment I looked at the caller ID and smiled before sliding my finger across the bottom of the touch screen to answer it.

“Hey Big Bear, what’s up?” I asked, answering Emmett’s phone call using the nickname I had given him when I was five years old.

“Not much, how’s Texas treating you?”

“It’s okay. Uncle Dan and Aunt Kate are awesome as always, I just already miss you way to much.”

“I miss you too Little Bear”

“So Em, how was your first night on the town as a Single man?”

“Annie, yesterday was the most stress filled days of my life, even after our phone call I wasn’t exactly in the groovin’ mood.”

“Groovin’ mood? If you keep on talking like your in your fifties your gonna have a hard time meeting anyone.”

“Very Funny Reg, You’re making it very easy for me not to miss you right now.”
“I’m just playing Em, I know you find the Disco Queen of your dreams.”

“Alright, alright, I get it!”

“Okay, I’m done.” I laughed “But on a more serious note though, do you think you could do me a huge favor and pack up whats left in my room and ship it out here? I have all of my summer clothes here but once winter comes I’m gonna be helpless.” Other than the sounds of the streets of New York in the background the other line went silent for a moment before Emmet spoke up again.

“So you’re really doing this huh? Staying in Texas?”

“I’ve got to Em. I need to start acting like a normal teenage again and I just can’t do that if I’m in the city.”

“We can move out to New Jersey then, I can give my two months notice to the landlord, dig into my saving a bit by a small house out in Fort Lee, I’ll sell my Yankee’s tickets and buy are car. It’s only a forty five minute commute if you think about it. You can go to school in-”

“Emmett!” “The sole purpose if me moving out here is so that I don’t get in the way of you leading a normal life! You driving an hour to work and back everyday because you’re paranoid sister is afraid of being in the city IS NOT NORMAL!”

“Regan! For me normal is living with you! Taking care of you! Protecting you! I don’t need to date Regan! I don’t need to go out and party! I need my baby sister home safe with me! Even if that means leaving Manhattan!”

“Emmett, I’m safe here. I think I can be happy here to if I give it sometime. Please don’t make this harder than it has to be. I think this set-up is what’s best for now. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay Reg, I guess I understand.”

“Thank You.”

“Look, I have a meeting in five minutes, so I’ve got to go. Love you LB.”

“Love you too BB, bye.” I replied before hanging up the phone

“Are you serious?! That’s amazing! Who? How? When?” I heard a familiar voice yell. I turned around to find Annie walking ahead of me with a boy that I assumed was her boyfriend Nick. So I decided to step outside of my comfort zone and call her over.

“ANNIE!” I called over to her before looking down and sticking my phone back in my purse.

“Hey! I want you to meet my friend,” I heard her say as she walked back to the bench. I hadn’t looked up from my phone yet but it sprang up after hearing his name “Joe this is my friend Regan, Regan this is Joe.” He looked up at me after Annie was done walking and I swear I felt something between us. Speak Regan! Say Something!

“Hey Joe, It’s nice to meet you.” Surprising even myself I stuck my hand out to shake his, hoping it wasn’t sweaty because of how nervous I was.

“You too.” He mumbled quickly sticking his hand out to meet mine, but just before the two met, he pulled away and ran that same hand through his slightly curled hair. Are you really that surprised he didn’t want to touch your sweaty hands Regan. You probably grossed him out. I thought to myself.

“Cool... okay then I’m just gonna go.” I mumbled quickly before turning on my heals and jetting back towards the house, trying to hold my tears in as best as I could. I didn’t even know why I was crying! Some boy wouldn’t shake my hand, so what? Oh yeah, maybe it’s because I hadn’t had mare than a minute long conversation with the guy and even before that he was all I could think about.

-Annie-

“Joseph, Annie, how was your run?” Mrs. Jonas asked us as we walked in the door after finishing our jog.

“Long, hot, and boring.” Joe answered her while digging around in the refrigerator.

“So you guys didn’t talk about anything interesting?” She quizzed.

“Nope. Not a thing.” Joe answered firmly, walking back from the fridge with two water bottles, handing me mine a little rougher then necessary just to make sure I got the hint not to bring up Regan.

“We’ll you two drink up, we wouldn’t want you to get dehydrated in the Texas heat. I’ll be back home in a few minutes, I’ve got to run by the Millers house and meet their niece.” I struggled to contain my giggles when I saw Joe’s head snap up at the mention of Regan. “Joseph, that internet chat starts in an hour, so go shower and get ready. Annie Nick’s up in his room. Be back in a few.” She listed as she walked out the door.

“So Joe, when are you gonna talk to Regan?” I asked once the door was closed.

“Well, I was hoping you could do that.”

“Huh?”
“Can you talk to her or something? Try to see if she likes me? I’ve never liked someone this much before and I just want to know if she feels the same way before I make my move.” He pleaded.

“Fine, I’ll run by her house and talk to her.”

“Thank You” He sighed in relief

“You’re welcome.” I started towards the stairs. I walked into Nick’s room to find him hunched over his keyboard and a piece of blank sheet music, surrounded by crumbled up pieces of paper.

“Someone looks mighty busy.” I observed while leaning against the frame of his door.

“Annie, just the person I needed to see.” He sighed pushing his work aside and walking towards me and pulling me into his arms “You are such a sight for sore eyes”

“More like a sight that’ll make you eyes sore. Look at me, I’m all sweaty and gross from running.” I laughed into his chest. He pulled back slightly so that he could see my face.

“I don’t think you realize how beyond beautiful you truly are.” He whispered, his hot breath dancing against his face.

“Nicholas, you are such the sweet talked”

“Nope. Just honest.” He laughed.

“So what are you working on?” I asked, changing the subject.

“We need one more song to go on the next album so I’m trying to write that. I had a little bit of writers block but something just came to me.” He answered staring right into my eyes.

“Well, do you want me to leave so you can finish? I know who you don’t like people watching you write.”

“No, I don’t think I’ll be forgetting these words anytime soon.” He smiled before surprising me with a kiss. It was soft at first then trying to convey his passion in it. I accepted it gladly, returning the fervor and meaning.

“Well, i-if you’re sure” I mumbled, still taken aback by that heart stopping kiss.

“Positive.” He replied. Nick and I then spent 30 minutes sitting on the sofa in his room talking about anything that popped into our heads. I told him about the discussion I had with Joe. Nick had had the same conversation with him the night before. I told him that Joe admitted it was Regan which led us to come up with the perfect plan.

“Okay, well I better get going so you can prepare for the live chat.”

“You’re gonna be watching right?” He asked, which was confusing to me considering the plan we just made consisted of me watching the whole chat.

“Of course, I always do.” I answered.

“Just make sure you watch okay?” I reiterated almost nervously.

“Nick, I’ll be watching, I promise. Give me the signal and I’ll text you what to say.”

“Sounds good. I love you Annie.” He smiled before leaning down and giving me a soft, tender kiss.

“I love you too Nick.” I replied before giving him one more quick swift kiss and walking out the door toward the Miller home.
♠ ♠ ♠
At the risk of sounding immature I'm starting to get annoyed that I'm only getting 2 comments per-chapter with I have 119 readers and 47 followers. Paparazzi Pandemonium had 639 readers and 111 subscribers. That story had 178 comments and at least and 10-15 a chapter and the sequal is only getting 2 comments a chapter. I just don't know if my writings getting worse or not that many people go on Mibba anymore. Okay, I'm done wolling in my own self pitty. Thank you to the two of you that do comment! It means alot, this chapters for you!! :)

XOXO, Zoey