The Perfect Smile

You're pregnant?

Maddy lay there wrapped up in the covers sleeping while The Joker sit at the desk next to her looking through more papers. He tried sleeping, but it didn't come as easy to him as it did for her. Actually he felt sort of nervous. He thought something was going to go wrong. He just kept looking at those cameras, hoping no one followed him. It was weird being away from Gotham. Normally when he came here, he would only come for a few days at a time, never weeks at a time and never with company. Although he enjoyed her company, he enjoyed it more than he should have probably. He looked over at her and smiled. He couldn't explain why he was feeling this way towards her, he hadn't had these feelings in a long time, not since Jeannie.

[Flash Back]

A 17 year old Jack walked up the steps of his girlfriend of three year's house Jeannie's. He knocked on the door with a smile on his face, wanting to see her. He hadn't saw her in two weeks, she had been away visiting family. Soon the door opened and he saw her standing there in a green dress that hung loosely over her tan skin. She placed her brunette locks behind her ear and allowed him to come in. Jack walked in and noticed the house was much quieter than normal. Most of the time her father's T.V. was blasting in the living room.

Jack: Where's James?

Jeannie: Dad took mom out, let's go up to my room.

She took him by the hand and led him up the old wooden staircase that led to her bedroom. She opened the door and smiled at him shyly as she walked over and took a seat in the rocking chair placed next to her bay window. He took a seat on her bed.

Jack: I've missed you so much, Jeannie.

Jeannie: I've missed you too, Jack. But we need to talk about something.

Jack: Sure, sweetie.

Jeannie: Jack, I was pregnant.

Jack: You're pregnant?

He got up now walking over to her with a shocked expression on his face. It was unplanned however they should have known it would happen sooner or later. Jeannie wasn't on birth control, and Jack never did like condoms.

Jeannie: I was.

He looked at her for a second. Why is she saying was?

Jack: What do you mean, was?

Jeannie: I found out the second day I was at my grams. My cousin Linda and I took a test! I was pregnant, mine was positive! She took me to the clinic though and I got rid of it.

He stepped back away from her and just looked at her for a second. He couldn't believe the words she had just said. "I got rid of it." like it was some piece of trash she tossed to the side.

Jack: Jeannie, you didn't.

He whispered loud enough for her to hear.

Jack: YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME, WAITED FOR ME. I had a right in that decision too you know.

Jeannie: I DON'T WANT TO BE A MOTHER, JACK. I'm only sixteen years old!

Jack: Then you should have thought about that before you laid in bed with me then.

He said before storming out of her room, down the stairs and out of the house. He couldn't believe that she had just destroyed something that could have been so beautiful. Something that would have meant the world to him. He walked quickly the entire way home, anger building inside of him with each and every step. He arrived outside his trailer and walked inside slamming the door behind him. His mother Melissa looked up at him.

Melissa: Jack, what's wrong sweetie?

He mumbled something to his mother and walked into his bedroom slamming the doors down. He reached over and turned on his stereo and let the sounds of AC/DC fill the air. That night he cried, he couldn't believe what Jeannie had done.

(2 weeks later)

Jeannie walked into the Jack's room after his mother let her inside. She had saw him a few times since she had let him in on the news, but he hadn't said a word. Today she was determined to make him talk.

Jeannie: Jack!

He looked up at her with black bags under his eyes. He was busy reading a psychology book when she entered the room. He placed the book down and she rolled her eyes at him. For someone who dropped out of high school he spent all of his time in books. Learning and reading about everything that he could put into his mind. He was a genius, she never understood why he dropped out of school.

Jeannie: We need to talk.

Jack: You've done enough talking for the both of us.

Jeannie: I'm only sixteen.

Jack: It wasn't your decision.

Jeannie: Yes it was.

Jack: It was mine too.

Jeannie: Look at yourself, Jack. You've been in this room for two weeks. You haven't showered, you haven't shave, your hair needs cut, all you do is read that stupid psychology book!

Jack: Sorry I'm not off killing the innocent, like you did.

Jeannie: Damn it Jack. I'm through with you. Most guys would be smiling about this situation, glad even! I didn't kill an innocent child, I saved it from being born into hell.

She said before slamming the door and walking out of Jack's life forever. Although he didn't care. He had developed hatred for her, a deep hatred. Although her words did echo through his head, allowing him not to think about anything else "Most guys would be smiling about this situation." He couldn't bring himself to smile though.

That sentence ate him alive. He couldn't think about anything else. He couldn't even concentrate on his books. It got to the point to where he couldn't do anything but hear Jeannie saying that throughout his head, over and over again. He walked into the bathroom and took his pocket knife out of his jeans and looked into the mirror. Placing the knife into his cheek he cut the flesh. Not feeling an ounce of pain, not caring that the blood was now dripping onto his mother's carpet. Not having any other thought in the world.

Once he was finished he looked in the mirror and observed his work. Now he would be smiling about the situation. Now he'd always be smiling, about every situation, whether it was something he wanted to smile about or not.

[end flashback]

Maddy watched as Jack starred into space with his dark eyes glazed over. She licked her lips and smiled over at him.

"Jack.." "Jack..."

She said breaking him out of his blast from the past. He looked over at her and saw that she was smiling. That perfect smile of hers. He couldn't help but smile back.

Maddy: Come here!

She said in a playful way and held up the covers for him to crawl under. He chuckled a bit as he got up from the desk and walked over, crawling under the bed with her. Jeannie was the reason he had never become close to anyone after that, everyone called him a freak. After years of being turned tortured over his new carved face he left town and never returned. He was reported missing, but now he assumed that they would consider him dead being that it was almost 10 years ago.

Maddy laid her head on his chest and listened to his heart beat. She traced her finger over his chest and stomach causing him to groan a bit.

Joker: What do you think you're doing, Princess?

Maddy: I'm innocent, I promise.

Joker: Liar.

He said with a chuckle causing her to look up at him. She raised up and placed a kiss on his lips, and for the first time since she had been with Jack she raised her hand up and traced the scars on one side of his mouth with her finger.

Joker: Do they disgust you?

He ask honestly wanting to know. They did everyone else and he just wondered why a beautiful girl like Maddy seemed to not be affected by the grotesque smile cut into his flesh.

Maddy: No, I happen to like them.

Joker: Really?

Maddy: Mhmm.

She said leaning her lips over and placing a kiss on both sides of his cheeks right over the scars. It send shivers down his spine having someone touching them besides himself, especially with their lips but he didn't mind if Maddy was doing it. He actually liked having her lips on them. He cupped her face and she smiled as he leaned up and kissed her softly on the lips.

Joker: You know something..

Maddy: What's that?

Joker: You have the perfect smile.

She smiled which caused him to smile. She leaned in and touched her forehead against his and brushed her lips against his for a moment and then placed her mouth close to his ear and whispered into it.

Maddy: No, Jack. I think you may have the perfect smile.

He just smiled at her and kissed her on the forehead and wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. Wanting to protect her from any single harm that may come her way. He felt stronger towards Maddy than he had ever felt before. For some reason, she accepted him. She looked past his scars, and his rages of anger. She looked past the fact that post people considered him a freak. Even in Arkham, she defended him and protested that he didn't need a straight jacket. He didn't know what he was suppose to do with her, especially now. He wasn't looking forward to returning to Gotham. He didn't miss the chaos after all. He didn't need Gotham to keep him on his toes, Maddy did that all by herself. If he could have it his way, he would stay here forever. But he knew that he couldn't, not with Two Face and Riddler looking for her, wanting her dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, sorry it's so short. But I thought it was a much needed filler. Plus it gave you a little insight on The Joker's past. I've got other Joker stories over on Quizilla and I'll probably transfer them over to here sooner or later, I'm just trying to get the hang of this website a bit more. Thanks to those of you who have read, and left me comments. I really appreciate it all.