The Perfect Smile

Promise?

Maddy tip toed outside and took a seat on the grass and watched Jack as he tossed knives into the dummy once again. She knew that today was their last day here together in paradise and she wanted to make the best of it. Their relationship had bloomed into something special, into something that every woman wanted. He was her knight in shinning armor, wanting to protect her from every single harm that came her way. She smiled as he noticed her and dropped his knives to walk over.

Joker: You just gonna sneak up on a man like that?
Maddy: Mhm.

He smiled and reached his hand down to help her get up. She put hers in his and he pulled her off the ground. She got up and dusted her butt off and walked inside the house with him. He walked over and jumped down on the couch waiting for her to join him. She just smiled and instead of taking the seat next to him she took a seat on his lap. She reached up and traced his scars with her finger, which now brings a smile to his face.

Joker: We've gotta go back to Gotham tomorrow.
Maddy: (sigh) do we HAVE to?
Joker: I've got to take care of them, Maddy.
Maddy: Jack.. no you don't.. we can just stay here.
Joker: No, i'm going to take care of them. As long as they have your name on their wanted list, they're on mine.

She pouted and tried to protest but he just wouldn't have it. She laid her head down on his chest and he rubbed his fingers through his hair. He really didn't want to return to Gotham, he felt like he could stay here with her forever but he knew that it wasn't an option. He just hoped that returning back to Gotham wasn't the wrong choice.

.....................................

Maddy walked out of the house followed by Jack, and watched him lock the door behind him. He gave her a small smile as her face was still blank. She had begged him the entire night to stay here. All she wanted to do was spend more time with him. She didn't want their time to be cut short, and honestly she didn't want to return back to her life, even though she probably should. He thought it would be a good idea if she went back to life and tried to act normal about things. He made her well aware that he and Penny would take care of her and keep her from the clutches of The Riddler and Two Face. She wasn't too happy about this, she didn't want to go back to her old life but she knew that it was the only option.

Joker: You're gonna have to talk to me sooner or later.
Maddy: What if he gets me again?
Joker: He won't.
Maddy: You're not going to be there to protect me.
Joker: I will be there, I'm just not going to be around all the time. But I promise you, nothing is going to happen to you. Ok?
Maddy: Whatever.

She spat back at him and looked out the side and to the passing scenery. She didn't want to be a bitch to him, but she just felt like he wasn't understanding where she was coming from. He wanted her to go back to life like it was before all this happened, and she couldn't.

Maddy: Where am I suppose to live, Jack? Huh? Where?
Joker: What are you talking about? You live with your father.
Maddy: I'm not living with him anymore.
Joker: Why not?
Maddy: Uh, he deals with the mob and I don't want anything to do with him now. Penny might let me move in with her.
Joker: She may.

The conversations were kept short between the two of them. Even though he was dying to have her talk. He wanted to hear her say everything that was on her mind, even though he knew what she was going to say. He had heard it all the night before, and even this morning. She was protesting them going back to Gotham, but he knew that they would have to go back sooner than later, and sooner was probably the best option right now.

Joker: Where does Penny live?
Maddy: 13th street.

They were now in Gotham and heading towards Penny's house to let her know that they had arrived. Maddy was still snappy towards him, not pleased with being back in Gotham one bit. She told him where Penny's house was and he pulled into the drive way. Each of them got out and walked up to the steps. Maddy knocked once, and then twice again. Finally she heard Penny yell that she was coming. Once Penny opened the door she greeted both Maddy and The Joker with a warm smile and welcomed them into her home.

Penny: They think you're running scared!

She said pointing over to the Joker, he only snickered at her remark. He didn't know what was worse though, them thinking he was running scared, or him spending two weeks alone with Maddy protecting her and somewhat developing feelings for her. Now if they ever found that out, then the shit would hit the fan.

Penny: So, what are you gonna do, Mads?
Maddy: Actually.. I was gonna ask if you maybe had a spare bedroom?
Penny: You know I do.. but why don't you wanna go home?
Maddy: I just don't wanna put up with my dad anymore.
Penny: Well you know you're welcome to stay here as long as you need, Mads. Actually, I think it'd actually be good if you moved in here, a lot safer.
Joker: So have they tried anything?
Penny: Killed two mob members, but that's about it.
Joker: I'll take care of them soon.
Maddy: You don't have any men left.
Joker: Yes, I do.
Maddy: They were killed.
Joker: Three were killed, who said I only had three?

Maddy just rolled her eyes and took a seat at the table while Penny and The Joker discussed more information about the Riddler. Maddy thought it was so weird how her best friend ends up being a masked criminal, and then the guy who she is absolutely falling for is Gotham's most wanted. Not to mention her father and ex boyfriend are both dealing with the mob. She really knows how to pick em she thought to herself turning her attention back to Penny and Jack who were discussing how they was going to get even with the riddler and two face.

After they was done discussing their plans Penny walked over and opened the door to Maddy's new room. She walked in and observed it. It was pretty nice, kind of boring but over all nice. The Joker followed her into the room and looked around.

Joker: It's a nice room.
Maddy: Yeah, I like it.
Penny: Well, I'll let you two be for a bit. I'm going to go run and pay some bills. I'll be back in about a half hour.

Penny said with a smile. She had pretty much figured out that something had happened between the two of them. So she thought that leaving them alone for a bit would probably be the best idea, plus she needed to pay a bill anyways. Soon they heard the front door shut and knew Penny was out.

Joker: Still mad at me?
Maddy:(pause) I'm not happy with what's going on.
Joker: What was I suppose to do? Just stay shacked up there with you?
Maddy: We're back here now so it really doesn't matter what I wanted now does it?

She said and turned around back now facing him and walked towards the window. She pulled back the curtain and saw that she had a nice view of the back yard. She was starring at the tire swing hanging from the tree when she felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her waist and pull her close. She felt him place his chin on her shoulder.

Joker: You're making this difficult.
Maddy: No, you are.
Joker: How am I making this difficult? I'm trying to protect you.

She frowned a bit and realized she was being difficult. But she just didn't see how it was fair that they couldn't just stay there forever. She didn't think any of this was fair. In the last month her world has been turned upside down. Everyone who she thought she knew, she didn't.

Maddy: I'm sorry, I know I've been a bitch.. but I just, I really liked spending time with you.

She admitted which caused him to smile. He spun her around and made her look up to him. She noticed something different in his eyes. They was still dark, but they didn't look like they was filled with all the hatred like before. They were much softer. He just placed his forehead down on hers and looked into her eyes knowing that she was scared to be back in Gotham.

Joker: I'm not going to let anything happen to you, Ok?
Maddy: Promise?
Joker: I promise.

Soon Penny returned and Jack left off to go and gather up all his men. Maddy knew that she would have to head over to her father's sooner or later, which was something she wasn't looking forward to. At least Penny had offered to go along with her. Penny and The Joker had come up with the idea of Maddy waking up in an alley, and she walked to Penny's house because it was closer than any other. Then her excuse for leaving her father's house would indeed be his involvement in the mob. Both Penny and Jack was hoping that the Riddler still thought that Maddy was with the Joker, that way she could still live her life somewhat normally. Maddy knew that she'd need to return to work and college though. She needed her job to support herself. She still had about three weeks left before she had to return back to school though. She wasn't excited about any of this, she would have much rather let everything go and just stay with Jack in that large house forever. She just wondered what else could go wrong in her life, and would Jack kept his word by keeping her safe?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone, sorry if this chapter is pretty boring. I'm on a crunch for time right now, and I really wanted to get out another chapter before I vanished for a few days. I hope everyone has a great new years. I'll update again in a few days :)