The Perfect Smile

Get out

Penny demanded that Jared drive her and Maddy back to her house. She rushed in and changed while Jared loaded Maddy into Penny's car and left. Penny climbed inside the driver's seat and rushed off to the hospital. Maddy had been slipping in and out of consciousness for the last hour. Finally they arrived and Penny helped her inside the hospital and soon the doctors were tending to her.

He watched Penny pack her out of the house with the help of Jared, he even watched Jared drive them away. He couldn't bring himself to move though, he was numb. He was angry at himself that he took that dumb of a chance. Easily he could have killed her and that was eating him alive. Finally after recollecting himself and his thoughts he managed to walk out of The Riddler's hide out. He walked over and climbed up into the van of his goons. He shut the door and one of his guys started driving off. He just looked out the window, not believing what he had actually done.

Goon: What are we gonna do with him?

One of his men ask from the back referring to Matt. He could care less about him now though, maybe Maddy deserved to be with him. Someone who would love her, could love her. Wouldn't hurt her, could protect her.

Joker: Let him go.

He spoke hoarsely to the men in the back. The driver pulled over and two of the guys unloaded Matt's body and placed it on the street corner. The guys couldn't believe that he had just let that guy go, they couldn't believe how he was acting right now.

They arrived at the hideout a short while later, he waited for all the guys to go upstairs and then he got back inside the van and drove to Penny's, figuring that Maddy wouldn't be there but wanting to see her anyways, needing to talk to her. He walked in through the front door that apparently Penny didn't lock and then walked into Maddy's bedroom, sitting on her bed with his head dropped low. He had not felt this bad in a long time. Feelings of guilt were rushing over him. He caused pain to the one person he never wanted to cause pain to. These feelings were so conflicting for him.

Maddy raised up off the hospital bed and smiled looking at Penny in the chair. The doctors had cleaned up her wounds very nicely and even got the bullet out. The bullet didn't do too much damage, it barely penetrated her shoulder, so after a bit of cleaning and bandaging she was done.

Maddy: When can I leave?
Penny: Soon, Mads.. I think Jim Gordon is on his way down here to question you though. The hospital called the police department and told em you was the girl kidnapped by Riddler at Bruce's party.

Just as Penny finished her sentence Jim Gordon walked in with a frown on his face. He also felt guilty for not protecting her, he was locked away because they thought he was a target when in reality she was the target all over again.

Gordon: Do you have any idea why he keeps coming after you, Madeline?
Maddy: I don't have the slightest clue sir. He just mentioned I was part of a plan of destruction.

She lied, hoping that she would be more believable this time. It seemed to be working since Jim Gordon was just shaking his head in a understanding manner.

Gordon: How'd you get away this time?
Maddy: Things got chaotic between he and his men so I saw a chance and ran, some guy gave me a ride to Penny's from corner of the street. I didn't wanna come here alone.

She stated once again hoping that he was believing her. She couldn't just tell him that The Joker came and saved her life and accidentally shot her by mistake now could she? Jim Gordon nodded his head a few more times and followed with some more simple questions once he seemed to be satisfied he left the girls, telling Maddy that he hoped that nothing else happened to her and offered police protection. She declined his offer and told him that she could handle herself, and she had just been caught off guard at the party.

Penny: Ready to get out of here?
Maddy: More than you know.
Penny: You're gonna have to put that gown back on.. unless you want to wear that hospital gown home but I wouldn't advise it unless you want the world to see your back side.

Maddy giggled a bit at her friends comment as Penny reached over and picked up the dirty and some what bloody dress. She closed the door and helped Maddy get dressed since she was basically one armed right now. Doctors told her that her shoulder would be sore for a few days and to use it as little as possible so that it could heal better. Penny zipped up the back of her dress and opened the door again. The two girls walked down the hallway and out the door ready to head home.

Once Penny pulled up to her house she let her eyes get wide a bit noticing that there was a van parked near her garage. Maddy smiled though seeing the van and opened the car door as soon as Penny put it into park. She placed her feet on the ground and hurried up and through the door scrunching up her eyes in confusion on not seeing Jack.

Maddy: Jack?

She softly ask throughout the house, loud enough for anyone to hear though. She smiled hearing a noise come from her bedroom walking over she opened the door and saw him sitting there on her bed with his head dropped. She smiled as he looked up, only to have her smile turn into a frown. She noticed something about him, something different. Although she couldn't place her finger on what it was. He looked up at her, taking in each and every scratch, cut, bruise and gash that was on her face and then his glare moved down to her shoulder seeing a white patch over where he shot her. He closed his eyes and she walked closer a bit more. He didn't know how she wasn't yelling at him, blaming him for all of this.

Maddy: What's wrong?

She ask coming closer to him standing in front of him. His head was still dropped now just like when she had first entered the room. She placed her hands on his cheeks and moved his head up so he was looking up into her eyes. His eyes were glassed over and full of mixed emotions.

Maddy: Jack, what's wrong?

She ask once again only to have his head move away. He also got up from the sitting position brushing back her, confused she grabbed his coat making him stop in his tracks. She held on to it as she walked around in front of him and looked up.

Maddy: Are you going going to talk to me?

He just nibbled on his bottom lip aggressively and then chewed on the inside of his mouth not knowing what exactly he was suppose to say to her. He reached his hand up and ran his thumb over the white bandage on her shoulder causing her to smile, he didn't understand it. Why was she smiling over a bullet wound that was going to leave a scar on her perfect skin?

Joker: Why are you smiling?
Maddy: Cause, you saved my life.
Joker: I almost took your life.
Maddy: Jack, you saved me.
Joker: I shot you.
Maddy: Accidentally.. right?

He only nodded. Something about her made him feel so normal. She made him forget about every bad incident that had happened in his life. She made him feel normal. He looked down at her though, still feeling guilt wash over him and watched as she struggled to tip toe up to him and place the softest kiss ever on his lips. He couldn't help but smile a bit, but he couldn't figure out why she wasn't blaming him for all of this?

Joker: I don't think I can do this anymore.

He said without hesitation, shocking both himself and Maddy. He knew that the sooner he could this over with though, the better. He watched her heart break, it was visible through her eyes. He saw every piece of her breaking silently, she let one tear fall. She looked up at him and searched him over to see if he was lying or joking and couldn't see nothing but a serious face. Closing her eyes and letting more tears fall she pushed him forward.

Maddy: Get out!

He closed his eyes as she pushed more on his body. Her small frame struggling against his larger one. It broke his heart to see her like this, it broke his heart to see her pushing him away, but he knew that it was because of him. He shouldn't have ever gotten close to her. He should have just left her with The Riddler to begin with. She managed to push him out of the room and he heard the door lock. He turned around seeing Penny peaking her head out of the door looking at him wondering why Maddy was screaming.

Penny: What happened?
Joker: I'm leaving. I don't think we'll be needing each other anytime soon.
Penny: What'd you do to her?
Joker: I helped her, I gave her freedom.
Penny: What do you mean you helped her?
Joker: She don't need this shit, look at me!

He said yelling at Penny who had walked out of the room. By this time Penny had figured out that they had decided on not seeing each other. She could hear the sobs of Maddy through the thin walls and watched as Jack walked out of the house. She followed him though

Penny: Did you hear that? That is a woman who loves you crying because of you!

She yelled as he climbed into the van. She knew he heard her because she watched as his body tensed up once she mentioned the word love. She couldn't believe that he was reacting this way. He was being so childish about the entire situation. Watching him pull out of the drive way she sighed loudly walking back inside, and over to Maddy's door knocking. After minutes of convincing, Maddy let Penny in. Penny comforted her that entire night as she cried herself to sleep. Before tonight, Maddy had never thought about what her feelings for Jack were; she was just having fun in the moment. But she had realized that if she didn't feel strongly towards him than it wouldn't hurt this much. She realized that she loved him.