The Perfect Smile

Five Months

Maddy hadn't heard from him after that night, she returned back to school a week later and kept up working at Arkham. Her life was getting back to normal little by little, although she still missed him. With every passing day she missed him more and more. He was causing more chaos within the city now than ever before. He was having no mercy on this place, taking anyone who got in his way down. Her heart would break over and over again when she saw him on the news. She felt like a zombie. Sure, she breathed, ate, and lived her life like a normal person but she was now cold to the world, numb to any feelings. She had no clue that he could affect her this much.

He was now darker and more vicious. It was the hardest thing he had ever done walking away from her that night, and Penny telling him that Maddy loved him made it much harder. He brushed it off his shoulder though, not believing it. How could any woman love a man like him? Plus, he was sure if Maddy felt as strong towards him as love then she would have told him. Now with most of the criminals out of his way, he was focusing on the destruction of Gotham. He was once again after Batman and anyone linked to him. He was always thinking up new plans, and new ideas for Gotham. He had to, if he didn't he knew that his mind would travel to her and that was something that he didn't want. He wished so bad that he could forget every feeling linked to her, but for some reason they was burned into his mind.

"Boss?"

He looked up from his desk and over to the door way. There stood Jimmy standing in a navy blue suit, clearly back from the kidnapping that he had planned earlier this week. A smile appeared on his face as he got up from his desk and made an exit from the room and began walking down the hall way with Jimmy. They came to a door and he turned the knob opening it and peeking inside with a smile. There tied up in a corner was a boy around 16 years old. Dirty blond hair, chocolate brown eyes. He looked into the boys eyes and noticed something very familiar about them.

Jimmy: Maroni's youngest son, Zackary.

The Joker smiled knowing that this would defiantly fuck with Maroni and the mob a bit. He not only wanted to bring Gotham down, but he wanted to bring everyone in Gotham down too. He wanted each and every civilian to punish, and his plan this week was to make the Maroni family suffer. He shooed Jimmy out of the room wanting to be alone with the boy and shut the door. Walking over he looked down and saw the boy in fear.

Joker: Well well, what do we have here. What's your name?
Zackary: Zackary Lee Maroni
Joker: And who are your parents?

He ask in a childish tone, wanting him to state his father's name. Wanting him to say it with fear.

Zackary: Sal and Carol Maroni..

The Joker's eyes turned over to Zackary and grew wide a bit. Carol.. Maroni? Didn't he mean Hudson? That was Maddy's mother. He closed his eyes thinking that no matter what he done, something, someone always came up with a way to remind him of her. He opened his eyes seeing the boy whimper in the corner.

Zackary: Please mister, just let me go. I just wanna go back to my mom!

The Joker raised an eyebrow to him. How could he go back to his mother if she was dead? Unless... Maroni lied to him.

Joker: Your mother.. she's alive?
Zackary: Yes..

He felt anger growing within him. MARONI HAD LIED TO HIM. He had told Maddy that her mother was dead, when she wasn't. He had lied to her. That night he watched her cry for hours over her mother. Even though she didn't have a big part in Maddy's heart, she still loved her. Recollecting himself he walked out of the room and up to his room and started looking out the window. He couldn't believe it had been five months since he saw her smiling face, well at least close up. He had caught glimpses of her while she was walking in her school or going to work at Arkham. He couldn't help himself, there was just some days when he needed to see her. To see that she was alright, and to see that she was still smiling.

Maddy walked down the steps of her college with a smile plastered on her face. Once again glad to be out for awhile. She had just finished her final exam and was out for the summer. She couldn't believe it was already May. She couldn't believe that he was still gone. She missed him so much some days. The days when she felt someone was watching her, or the days when she felt lonely. That's when she missed him the most. Thankfully on some of those days a news report would come on about him giving her a small fix of him for a day.

She tossed her books and folders into the back seat of her car and got in the drivers seat. She had decided to meet Penny at lunch today in celebration of her being one step closer to finally completing the nursing program. She couldn't believe that she had less than a year left until she could officially be considered a nurse. She had decided to take a few on-line classes over the summer so she could finish even sooner.

Arriving at the small diner she stepped out of her car locked it up and walked inside. Smiling when she noticed Penny already in the back at a booth waiting for her. They had become even closer than before, even though it was hard to believe. Almost like sisters, who shared everything with one another now.

Penny: CONGRATULATIONS!

She squealed out as Maddy slipped into the booth. Penny handed her a small bag that had some fluffy pink paper coming out of it. Maddy smiled in delight as she pulled out her present. It was a black velvet box. She looked over at Penny with a smile knowing exactly what it was. Two weeks ago the two entered a small jewelry shop on the west side of Gotham. Maddy had eyeballed a beautiful heart shaped pendant however she knew that she couldn't afford it. Especially since she was trying to put herself through college.It was 400 dollars, and that was amount of cash that Maddy didn't feel necessary to spend on a necklace.

Penny: and I didn't even steal it either.

She said in matter of fact tone. Maddy laughed knowing that she wouldn't waste her time stealing something of it's value.

Maddy: Pen, you shouldn't have.
Penny: I wanted to, Mads. It's just a present to say thank you for being there for me through everything and continuing to be my friend even after I lied to you.
Maddy: You didn't lie.. you just didn't tell me the biggest secret of your life.

They both giggled and soon began enjoying their lunch. Maddy placed the necklace around her and was stunned at how beautiful it really was. She knew now that she'd have to find something nice to wear with it when her and Penny went out to dinner one night.

Maddy: So what's the update on you and Bruce?

She ask dying to know how their date was last night. Penny had been on a few dates with Bruce over the past few months, but nothing major. Maddy saw though how much she liked and cared for him, but Penny believed he was hiding something.

Penny: He left earlier last night, telling me he had to go check on Alfred.
Maddy: Oh, I'm sorry.
Penny: Don't be, he tends to do it from time to time. He disappears without any warning and sometimes doesn't return my calls for hours.
Maddy: Kinda reminds me of Matt.
Penny: Well.. I hope he isn't in the mob.. oh, and speaking of the devil.

She said right as Matt walked in the diner with his friend Clyde. He was still trying to win Maddy's heart back. He attempted to get her sympathy telling her that The Joker had kidnapped him and even told her that he wouldn't give out any information about her, he'd rather die than see someone hurt her. Maddy believed him too, but she just couldn't force feelings for him. She knew who her heart belonged to in some sick way, and she'd rather be alone than not with him.

Matt: Funny seeing you two beautiful ladies here?
Penny: Funny seeing you still stalking, Maddy.
Matt: I'm not a stalker, Penny. I just happen to show up at places at a convenient time.
Maddy: Stalker

Maddy teased as he and Clyde pulled over two chairs and sit them beside the table. Maddy knew that if she told them no that they would do it anyways, and telling them no would just make Matt even grouchier. So she just went along with it, crossing her arms and trying to dodge as much of the conversation as she could. Soon her and Penny would finish their meal and they could be on their way.

"HIT ME, HIT ME, Come on. I want you to do it. HIT ME"

He yelled towards the batman as they both charged toward each other. They was once again battling it out in an alley in Gotham. The Joker couldn't help but laugh, seeing as though his plan was working. He knew that Jim Gordon was hiding somewhere around here so he could arrest him and then take him to Arkham. Just the place he wanted to be. Everything had already been arranged. He just wanted to see her, he needed to see her close up. Since he had found out the news of her mother he wanted so desperately to tell her, but he knew that he couldn't, wouldn't even. It was none of his business. But since Zachary had mentioned Carol's name, forcing him to think of Maddy he wasn't able for her to leave his head. He had to come up with some idea to see her, to possibly even touch her.

"HANDS UP"

He heard Gordon say. He dropped his knife and smirked knowing that his plan was now in action. He was more excited about this than any other plan he had came up with. It was genius really, they wouldn't expect it. Funny how he already had two men working at Arkham ready to bust him out whenever he was ready to leave. He let off that evil laughter and smiled knowing that he would get to see that perfect smile of hers soon.