The Perfect Smile

You're Batman?

It's now been one month exactly since the Maroni family (Or well at least three of them) has been slaughtered by the Joker. The other mob members are hiding very well from him, or they might have even possibly left town. He's went to the last three mob meetings but no one showed up. He no longer trusted Penny to be around Maddy when they was alone, and he made her aware of this, so the only time Penny really saw Maddy now was at his hideout. Jack ended up telling all of his men about the situation with Maddy. They figured out he was in love with the woman on their own though, and most of them knew that she was the first priority. The one's who didn't know, and could care less about her was killed over the past month. He has eight henchmen left, but deciding that he'll be recruiting more if a job arises itself.

She watched into the kitchen and stirred the soup that she had on the stove. One positive thing about Maddy now getting to know his men better was the benefits they was getting from it. She would make sure that they at least had one hot meal everyday, if not two or possibly three. They all hurried down to the kitchen smelling her soup. Jack was the last to arrive and smiled by the door way looking over at her as she stirred the large pot. Her tummy was finally starting to show a little bit, and he thought she looked adorable with a bump. He walked over and reached up and got a glass out of the cabinet and poured himself a glass of milk and stood by the counter.

Maddy: Ok Guys. it's done get your bowls and eat up.

She said walking over to the fridge and pulling herself out a piece of cheese, placing two pieces of toast into the toaster she waited for them to pop up and then placed the cold piece of cheese between them allowing it to melt a little, but not much and took a bite. She was never much of a soup person so she decided a cheese sandwich would be an excellent snack for herself. She watched as Jack and his men ate the soup as if they hadn't saw a home cooked meal in ages, when in reality it was only yesterday when she had fixed Chili for them all. Once everyone was done eating they placed their bowls in the sink and headed off to different parts of the room. Maddy finished her sandwich and placed her hands into the soapy water and began to scrub the dishes.

Joker: You don't need to do those dishes.
Maddy: Yes, I do. They're filthy.
Joker: You're pregnant!
Maddy: So? I'm not disabled.

She said with a smirk as she disobeyed his orders to stop. Sighing he jumped up on the counter and watched her as she cleaned them and placed them into the old wooden cabinets. Once she was done with her dishes she smiled towards Jack and cleaned her damp hands off on a towel.

Joker: Why are you smiling for, Princess?
Maddy: Cause, something popped into my head while I was washing dishes.
Joker: Oh really? What's that?
Maddy: Melody.. Mel!
Joker: Melody? Mel?
Maddy: A name silly, if it's a little girl.

He thought to the nick name Mel and looked down a bit remembering it was his mother's nick name. He missed his mother dearly and knew he couldn't bare to hear the name Mel everyday even if it was his own child's nick name.

Joker: Let's think of something else, Princess.

Penny walked up Bruce's nicely built mansion. She couldn't believe that Wayne Manor was finally rebuilt, she was amazed by how beautiful it was. Bruce had mentioned that he wanted to take their relationship to an entire new level today but Penny had no clue as to what he meant. She already thought that they had went pretty far with it. He had dropped the L word last week and she couldn't have been happier. She knocked on the door and Alfred opening it with a smile.

Alfred: Hello Penny, Mr. Wayne will be downstairs in a moment please make yourself comfortable in the living area.

Penny walked in and over to the living room and sit down on one of the fancy white couches. She crossed her legs and admired the fireplace which had many pictures of his parents placed all along it. She knew that it must have been hard for such a small child to lose both of his parents, and witness it nonetheless.

Bruce: Well someone looks darling today.

He said before walking into the room in a pair of jeans and a button up shirt. It was as casual as he got, but she loved that about him. Smiling she got up off the couch and walked over pulling him into a hug and placing a soft kiss upon his lips. His stomach tied in knots knowing that today he was going to reveal his darkest deepest secret to Penny. He just hoped that she would be able to still love him after the truth was revealed.

Bruce: Take a seat sweetie. Alfred is bringing us some wine.
Penny: Bruce, what is it you wanted to talk about?

He sit down beside her on the couch and pulled her hands into his. Sighing as Alfred brought in the glasses of wine and handed it to them. Penny tasted the wine and smiled as Bruce looked deep into her eyes. Alfred soon exited the room.

Bruce: I've been hiding something from you, Penny.
Penny: What is it?

She ask feeling uncomfortable that her boyfriend was hiding something from her. She only hoped that he really wasn't cheating on her. That was her biggest fear of all and hoped that it wasn't true, it would just break her heart into a thousand pieces.

Bruce: I'm just going to say it. Penny, I love you.
Penny: I love you too, Bruce.
Bruce: I'm Batman.

The news not only made her heart drop to her stomach, but it made her palms sweat. How could her boyfriend be the masked vigilante known as Batman, while she is Cat woman.

Bruce: Penny?
Penny: You're Batman?
Bruce: Yes, I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner.

Now everything was beginning to fit together. She understood why he was gone so many nights. He was out protecting Gotham... from people like her.

Maddy woke up from an evening nap with Jack's arm wrapped tightly around her and the television going. She looked up and saw that it was a news broadcast about no other than him.

" In today's news we still do not have a lead as to who murdered Sal Maroni and his two sons, but we do believe that the person responsible for their death was no other than The Joker. The investigation is still remaining open. "

Maddy: Didn't you leave cards?
Joker: They're idiots, Maddy. You'll come to learn that cops are probably the least intelligent people alive.
Maddy: I guess so.

Reaching down he gently caressed her something which caused her to smile as she began kissing his neck driving him wild. Just as he was about to place a kiss upon her lips, there was a knock at the door. He cursed under his breathe and weaseled out of bed and over to open the door. It revealed someone who he honestly didn't want to see. Penny stood there with stained eyes.

Penny: Where is she?

She ask thought a raspy voice. He knew something was wrong and just motioned towards the bed. Penny walked in and Maddy imminently sat up and looked at her best friend. Deciding that they need their alone time.

Maddy: Penny what is wrong?
Penny: You can't tell anyone! Not even J, Especially not J!
Maddy: Ok, what is wrong though?
Penny: He's Batman.. it's Bruce!

Maddy's eyes went wide not knowing what she was suppose to say or do. How could Bruce Wayne be batman? It all just didn't fit together and why was Penny here telling Maddy who was with The Joker, his arch Nemesis.

Penny: I'm so scared.. I don't know if I should just tell him I'm Cat woman, or just.. I don't know what to do!
Maddy: Calm down..
Penny: Should I just stop being cat woman?
Maddy: Do you love him?
Penny: With every inch of me, I'd do anything for the man, Maddy.
Maddy: Then you have a decision to make, Penny.

Penny nodded her head knowing that she couldn't be Cat woman and be with Bruce/Batman at the same time. Especially since sometimes they ran into each other in the streets at night. She couldn't imagine him de-masking her and seeing his very own girlfriend. Sighing, she knew that she would need to give up her night life in order to keep his love. Maddy calmed Penny down and she was soon on her way back home so she could destroy everything that would link her as Cat woman. Penny had plenty of money saved up from all the jewelry she had stole and sold on the black market, so she didn't need to worry about that.

Maddy sighed once Penny was out of the room. Trying to swallow hard the news that she had just told her, and wondered how she was suppose to keep this from him. She knew that Batman wanted him locked behind bars more than anything. So if it helped Jack in the long run could she really keep this from him forever? Sure, she valued Penny's relationship more than anything but this was the father of her child and she would do anything to keep him safe and with her. Plus, now that Penny knows of Bruce being Batman she could easily give up Jack's hideout. Maddy knows how Penny is with a man, if he wants any little thing she makes sure it happens. So if Bruce just happens to mention The Joker, Penny will squeal like a little pig.

He walked in the room and looked over at Maddy and could tell something was wrong. He didn't know what Penny had told her but he knew that it was probably awful. He took a seat on the bed and raised his hand and brushed it across her cheek. She looked into his eyes and knew she couldn't keep this from him, but by telling him she would be betraying her best friend, the girl who had stood by her for so long.

Joker: What's wrong, Princess?
Maddy: Jack, I don't even know what to do now!
Joker: What's wrong? Tell me.
Maddy: You promise you won't do anything unless you're threatened?

He only looked as her and raised his eyebrows not knowing what she was talking about.

Maddy: Penny told me something today that changes everything.
Joker: What is it? You're really scaring me, Maddy.
Maddy: Bruce.. he's.. He's Batman, Jack!

A evil smile curved into his lips knowing the true identity of who Batman now is. He couldn't believe that it was rich boy Bruce Wayne, but everything seemed to make sense. How the Bat could afford all of his nice little gadgets and everything they he had. Not mention, how he probably kept people quiet about it with money.

Joker: and how is that bad, princess? I know the identity of Batman!
Maddy: And she told me she loved him; meaning she'll more than likely tell him where your hideout is if he even mentions you. I know how she is. She may be my best friend but she's weak when it comes to men and never makes the right decision, as long as she thinks she pleases them.
Joker: We'll switch hideouts. I'll send the boys out for a new one asap. Pack your things.

She obeyed his orders and began packing through her clothes. She knew that by telling him things would change, she would now probably have to cut off all contacts with Penny. She honestly just couldn't trust her right now, not with her being in this situation and knowing how she was with men. She looked back and remembered the night at the ball and how Penny was so wrapped up in Bruce that she didn't even bother trying to protect Maddy. Maddy knew that once Bruce mentioned The Joker then Penny would leak the details of his hideout, she was just glad that she told him and they was now changing hideouts. She may have betrayed a friend by telling something, but she also probably protected the man she loved and unborn child.