Sweet Child O'Mine

Moment Of Truth

I couldn’t sleep anything that night and I could only imagine how shitty and tired I looked. I heard the door opening behind me and I turned to face my social worker, Linda. She mouthed for me to get up and waved her hand signaling for me to follow her. I obeyed her command silently and met up with her in the car. I looked at the dashboard clock and it read 9:30 AM. She started the car and headed towards my house.

After 15 minutes of silence, we finally arrived to a place I use to call home. She parked the car in the driveway and shut off the ignition. She turned to me “You can get your stuff and freshen up” I nodded and opened the passenger door, but before I could get out she stopped me “Do you want me to go inside with you?”

I looked at her and shook my head “No”

She nodded in response and then I turned my back to her and exited the car. I fished in my pocket and pulled out my keys. I slowly unlocked the house and opened the door. I waited in the entrance of the house, expecting my mom to just come in and hug me and ask me how my day was but that didn’t happen. I exhaled deeply and slowly walked to my bedroom. I grabbed a duffle bag from under my bed and put all my clothes that I owned in it. I packed everything under 10 minutes and then walked into the bathroom. I turned on the shower and got in; I prepared myself for meeting my father that I never knew existed.

I braided my wet hair, slipped into a pair of faded jeans and a black V-neck shirt. I pulled on my worn out sweater and then grabbed my duffle bag and walked out of the house. I walked to the car, put my stuff into the backseat and then walked to the passenger door and entered the car. Linda pointed to my bag.

“Is that all your going to bring?”

I looked and her and nodded “That’s all I have”

Her face went soft “Oh” she turned on the ignition and put the car in reverse and sighed “Are you ready?”

I shook my head and said barely above a whisper, “No, I don’t think I’ll ever be”

It took us a half in hour to arrive at his house. She pulled over to the curb and my eyes wondered all over the property. The house was 3 times the size I lived in and the front was beautiful. I unbuckled my seatbelt and grabbed the handle to open the door but yet again, Linda stopped me.

“Do you want me to stay with you until he gets home?”

“No,” I sighed “I feel like this is something I have to do on my own”

She gave me a sad smile “You don’t have to do it alone if you don’t want to, Lillian”

I nodded “I know, but I-I just…have to in my own self. This is my first time meeting him and I just… I don’t want to mess it up”

She shook her head “You won’t mess anything up and I understand where you’re coming from” she looked in her folder and then handed me a card “if you need anything, let me know” and then pulled out an envelope from her briefcase and handed it to me “I need you to give this to him, and your dad’s name is Brian, okay?”

“I will” I got out of the car, pulled out my bag and then sat it next to my leg. I leaned down into the window “thank you for everything”

“No problem, honey”

I lifted myself so I was now standing and waved to her as she left. I turned around and faced the big house that stood in front of me. The house was a light shade of blue and the posts where white. I picked up my stuff and walked down the stone path and then up the stairs of the porch. I knocked on the door 3 times and received no answer, letting me know that no one was home. I let out a sigh of frustration and sat on the bench swing. I reached out into my bag and pulled out my IPod and laid down on the soft cushions and fell fast asleep.

I heard talking as I felt someone gently shake me. I rubbed my eyes to clear the blur I was seeing and I locked gazes with a pair of bright green eyes. I jumped as I saw four men surrounding me and that’s when the man with the green eyes spoke.

“Uh…Are you ok? And who are you?”

I sat up, took off my earphones and answered “Um…I’m Lillian Haner” his face contorted in confusion when I stated my name. He looked speechless and that’s when I spoke up again “Are you Brian?”

He shook his head “No, I’m Zack Baker, but if you don’t mind me asking, what business do you have with Brian?”

I blushed “I-I’m his daughter”

He narrowed his eyes “His daughter?”

I nodded “Yeah, but he doesn’t know that he has one”

He was about to respond when he was cut off “Zack, who the hell are you talking to?”

I looked passed Zack and met an exact replica of my eyes. The man that spoke was tall and had black hair, yet again like mine, and his arms were covered in tattoos. He had his ears and nose pierced and his hair was covered with a bandana and hat that read “Funk” on it. Zack moved out of the way and the man walked up to me.

Could he be my dad?

“What are you doing on my property?”

Apparently so.

“A-Are you Brian?”

He cocked an eyebrow “Why do you ask?”

Why can’t he just answer the damn question?

“My name’s Lillian Haner and I’m your daughter”