Pocky Killed My Reputation In The Long Run But I Love It Anyways

Part Two

<Two months later>
Nothing had really happened with me and Tom. I mean, I called him a few times (actually, about once every day- we only actually talked about once a week. I left a message when I felt like it) but we still really didn’t know each other much. We had some stuff in common though. For instance, he was bi like me, and he wore eyeliner (and it looks so good on him too) and he liked My Chemical Romance, but anyone could tell that one just after they met him. Thing was, I really liked him.

He went into his German class right before I was going in my Spanish class and I called him out into the hall. My friend Sam had tagged along (not so much because I asked her to be there, it’s more because her class was down that hallway too) and she was really noticing everything. I talked about him all the time, almost as much as I talked about my old school. But since he probably wouldn’t ask me out, I had to ask him instead.

“Hey, um, Tom? You think maybe... we could... go out sometime?” I asked, feeling my face grow to a thousand degrees. He didn’t say anything for a minute, then someone called my name. He tried to sneak back into his classroom, obviously trying to just get into class and talk to his friends. Even I have to admit it was not a good time or place, because the bell was going to ring any second.

Sam grabbed his shoulder and said, “Someone just asked you out. You gonna answer her at all?”

He said he’d have to think about it and tell me later, so I waited. I saw him in the hall during passing time, and he said he’d still have to get back to me on it. I still gave him a hug, because it was practically a daily routine. Everyone hugs everyone around our school.

After school I called him, and he must have been expecting it, because he said, “I’m really sorry, Ozi, but I can’t. I mean, really, we still don’t know each other so well, and I was thinking about asking another friend of mine out.”

“What? Who?!” I asked, a little frantic.

“Remember I was telling you about my friend Dale?” he replied. “Yeah, I’ve been planning it for a while.”

“Oh, okay, well, I guess that’s okay... We can still be friends, though, right?”

“Yeah, of course we can!” he responded. “You’re a really cool person!”

“Well, um, thanks,” I said, a little surprised that that was what he thought about me. My face went back to a thousand degrees for the second time that day. We had a conversation for about ten minutes after that.

“Yeah, but anyways, I gotta go. I’ll talk to you later, Ozi. Maybe I’ll go out with you sometime later, if that’s okay with you.”

I wanted to say, “Of course it’s okay! I’ll go out with you whenever!” but that would’ve sounded really weird and obsessive. I wanted to say, “Why do you want to go out with Dale when I just asked you?” but that would sound like I wanted him too badly. I did feel weird, obsessive, I did want him too much, but I didn’t want to show that I did. I wanted to sit down and write a song, write something, get it off my mind, but that just wasn’t in the cards. I called my friend Shi instead.

“Shi, I asked out Tom today and he said no. Actually, I asked him out first period and didn’t say no till now.”

“Now, as in, he told you no over the phone?” Shi replied.

“Yeah.”

“He’s such a pussy! A guy should have at least enough courage to tell you no in person!” Shi started laughing then. I guess it was pretty funny, looking back.

Now, thinking back, I agree with Shi, but I kept saying, “Don’t call him a pussy, that’s just mean!” while still laughing.