In Fate's Hands

The Business

It was a warm July day in Colorado Springs, the sun was shinning brightly against the clear blue sky. Only a few puffy white clouds floated above and not one of them dared to cross path with the blazing sun. It was the picture perfect day for the family business.

“That was the perfect day. Everything worked out so well!” My younger sister Emily gushed as we stepped back into the office.

“It was a perfect day for a summer wedding!” My older sister Charlotte added.

“It went well I take it?” My mom asked with a smile as she examined my sister’s ecstatic faces after finishing the wedding that had taken a year and a half to plan and deliver out the way the bride and groom wanted it.

“It went perfectly.” Emily hurried to answer.

Exactly what in the hell was I doing here you may ask? Well it is my families business, and so here I stand. A person who isn’t romantic isn’t the type of person you’d expect to be a wedding planner, but I like breaking rules and not fitting stereotypes.

Emily and Charlotte are both hopeless romantics, and I mean hopeless. Their worlds revolve around stuff like that. Mine doesn’t. Sure I enjoy a good love story now and then, but I prefer stories about it. I’m like my mom was when she was my age. But she met my dad and fell in love.

It changed her a bit. But this is the business that has been in my family since my great-great-grandmother, so I do my best to help out. But obviously my sisters are way more into the whole thing than I am.

“Elise you okay over there?” My mom asked.

“Yup, just fine.”

“So I think I might have lowered down the possible gowns for my selection.” Charlotte smiled. Yes my sister is engaged, and in complete bridezilla mode.

“I really hope it snows on the big day!” She gushed. She wanted to have a wedding in the snow and close to Christmas. That was Charlotte for you.

“Well I’m going to get out of here while I still can okay? See you all tomorrow!” I said as I hugged my mom then grabbed my stuff and left. I headed for the local Starbucks for some coffee. It had been a long day.

I ordered my usual and found a table outside. The sound of the traffic wasn’t distracting and it was fun to watch as the cars sped by, and I got to examine the different types. A Chevy Impala, a Ford Mustang, and a Chevy Monte Carlo SS where my three favorites.

I’m not sure exactly what pulled my attention away from the cars, but I was glad it did. I may not be a romantic type, but I did like to look at good-looking guys. A guy who looked around my age was taking a seat at a table near by.

Putting it mildly he was he was gorgeous, and yes I did like him. Already. So I swallowed whatever feeling that was telling me not to go say hi and stood up. I walked over to where he was sitting.

“Hi, I’m Elise.” I managed to say. He looked up and smiled, and I recognized him up close. I felt an inch tall and felt my cheeks go bright red. Oh my god.

“Hi Elise.” He smiled, obviously realizing I knew who he was.

“You are Robert Pattinson aren’t you?” I asked.

“Yes, that would be me.” He laughed, his accent giving him away even more.

“Well I feel like an idiot! I cannot believe I didn’t recognize you sooner. I’ll uh leave you alone. Sorry to bother you.” I turned to leave.

“You don’t have to go.” He was speaking quietly now. I turned back around.

“You sure I won’t bug you?” I asked timidly.

“I think I can handle it.” He smiled.

……

“Okay, whoa, wait back up! You are saying that you actually met Robert Pattinson. As is the guy who played Edward Cullen?” Emily asked as I sat in the restaurant with her, my mom, and Charlotte.

“And talked to him.” My mom added.

“And exchanged phone numbers.” Emily’s last statement sounded breathless. Charlotte was too busy trying to find something that wouldn’t make her “fat” to eat. Which was annoying.

“Yup.” I answered as I sipped on my soda, making Charlotte glare at me.

“I cannot wait to rub this in to my friends.” My mom laughed evilly.

“Same here.” Emily agreed. I rolled my eyes.

“What is he doing here anyway?” Charlotte asked finally.

“Press stuff.” My mom, Emily, and I were completely Twilight obsessed and this was like a dream come true.

“I have a feeling about this.” My mom smiled.

“Don’t get carried away mom.” I reminded her quickly.

“Don’t hold you breath about that yet.” I heard her mumble which made me laugh.

“She’s right mom, I wouldn’t get carried away. I mean he is a huge star and Elise is Elise.” I wanted to punch Charlotte in the face for actually saying those words. Granted they were true, but either way she was my sister. Which meant that she was supposed to lie and make me feel better about myself. Right?

“Thanks for the loving support sis. And by the way if you order the salad to stay thin, then I suggest not smothering it in dressing and worrying about how many calories or carbs are in it. Worrying will make you gain weight.” I spat at her before looking away.