In Fate's Hands

And So It Begins

“I really hate flying.” I confessed as I sat in the air port next to Rob.

“Now is a really bad time to remember that.” He responded with a laugh.

“I never forgot it, it’s just embarrassing.”

“And you were too embarrassed to tell me?”

“Uh yeah.” He laughed and shook his head. Yes I am a vampire who is scared to death of flying. That is stupid isn’t it? I leaned over to rest my head on his should like I did many times when we were sitting next to each other. The peace was short lived because they soon called our flight.

Thankfully several hours later we landed in L.A., which looked like a foreign country to me. I’d never been further out this way than Las Vegas. California was definitely something to see, I knew that.

“You seem amazed.” He commented when we made it to the hotel.

“Really? Because you know I’m not.” I responded, heavy on the sarcasm.

“Must you always be sarcastic?” He laughed.

“I was raised that way. It’s in my nature.”

“So you’ve mentioned a few times.”

“I was pretty sure I had, but why not mention it again?”

I claimed the bed further away from the window, wanting to avoid the morning sunlight. Rob and I had joked about my morning hatred of sunlight. The joke was simply “Such a typical vampire”
It never bothered him that I was a vampire apparently, because he never commented about it being the slightest bit odd or strange. I honestly don’t think he even thought about what I was except occasionally. For this I was glad. Very glad.

I had managed to avoid taking him home to my parents for another month, as well as avoiding my sisters. I wasn’t afraid of Emily scaring him off, but Charlotte would be difficult.

For some reason she had some major problem with him, and she had no reason to. Needless to say we hadn’t been talking much lately. Even less than our usual amount of little conversation. It had been like that since she’d gotten engaged. Now it was even worse. On the bright side, she wasn’t constantly bugging me for my opinion.

“What are you thinking about?” Rob’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

“Oh uh, nothing. It’s not important.”

“Okay. Are you hungry yet?”

“A little.”

“How about we go grab something to eat then?”

“Sounds good to me.” We found a small Chinese restaurant close to the hotel and decided on eating there. After we ordered I decided to ask. I knew that he had some press stuff to do the following day, but I didn’t know what.

“So what time do you have to leave tomorrow morning?” I asked

“Around 8, but I should be back by lunch. I was thinking that we should get some lunch then go find something to do.”

“I like that idea.” I really just liked the idea of spending time with him. He left to film a new movie in a month, and I wouldn’t get to see him. I didn’t like the idea of wasting the little time I had left with him.

“I thought you would.”

“You thought right.”

“Like always.” He said it in an openly joking tone, but he was right. With me he usually was completely right.

****

The next morning after he left I took a shower, then when I got out I called Emily and my mom. Apparently Charlotte was out of the shop, so we could talk. “So what is L.A. like?” Emily asked with eager enthusiasm.

“Huge. And busy.” I answered bluntly.

“Well we already knew that.” Emily complained.

“How was the flight?” My mom asked with a hidden laugh.

“Well I thought we were going to die. You know I hate flying.”

“I bet Rob got a kick out of that one! A vampire, who has wings and can fly herself is terrified of a airplane.” Emily laughed.

“I don’t fly either.” My mom reminded her.

“True”

“So when are you going to bring him home for us to meet him! I’m getting anxious damn it!” My mom complained and opened the subject.

“I don’t know yet mom. I don’t want to throw him to the sharks.”

“Charlotte and dad.” Emily coughed.

“Exactly.”

“I see your point.”

“So did you tell him yet?” Emily butted in.

“Tell him what?” I asked like I didn’t already know what she meant.

“That you are falling in love with him?”

“I think she would have told us about that if she had Em.” My mom chirped. She was thrilled. Of course she was. I was falling in love with Robert Pattinson. She was more than thrilled.

“That comes back to throwing him to the sharks, sort of. I don’t know how to bring it up. I don’t know if I want to. Neither of us have ever been in love. Besides I don’t think he feels the same way.”

“It will come up when the time is right.” My mom comforted me.
“But hopefully it’s before I get old and die. I want to live to witness this.” I heard Emily complain before a smack and her mumbling “Ow! Mom!” I laughed to myself, know that my mom had slapped her on the head. This was something we had taken to doing a long time ago. It was my thing first.

“You will live to see it. I will go before you do.” My mom told her with sarcasm.

“I’ll try and get it out before I die. Does that work?” I asked.

“Sure.” They both said.

“Knock, knock.” I heard the cute British accent with the voice that always made me smile.

“He’s back!” Emily squealed.

“Tell us everything later!” My mom ordered.

“Bye mom, bye Em. Love you guys too.” I said. They told me the same thing and we hung up.

“How’d it go?” I asked as he sat down next to me.

“It went.” He responded with a shy laugh.

“Oh. I don’t know what to say. I don’t know anything about press.”

“It’s not ever very pleasant. It’s very uncomfortable actually.”

“Oh well then that sucks.” He didn’t let me continue babbling, instead he leaned over and kissed me. I liked that.

“So are you ready to go get some food?” He asked.

“Yes actually I am.” I admitted. He smiled and we left. We spent the rest of the afternoon doing various things around the city. We even ate dinner before we headed back for the hotel. We had walked to the little Chinese place again and there was a store with magazines on display in their window on the way back. I saw a picture of Rob on the cover of one. This caught my attention. I made a note to come back and buy it later.

He decided to take a shower not long after we got off, and I went to the small store and bought the magazine. He was out when I got back, and apparently I looked guilty of something. “Where did you go?” He asked.

“I saw that you were on the cover of a magazine and I wanted to see what kind of shit there were saying now.” I admitted and sat down on the bed I’d claimed. I flipped it open to the page it said was about Rob and gasped.

“What is it?” He asked as he saw my face.

“Us.” I answered. He jumped up and came over to see.

There was a picture of us from dinner the night before and the headline read “Robert Pattinson’s new mystery girl.” I decided to read the article.

“Last night Hollywood heartthrob Robert Pattinson was spotted having dinner with a girl who no one has saw before. She is obviously not an actress of any sort. So maybe a girl from his London home? Or maybe someone he has met here in the states? The question remains unanswered, but it probably won’t be for long.”

I heard him sign from over my shoulder, where he was reading from. “I’m sorry.” He told me as he let his head rest on my shoulder.

“For what?” I asked.

“Dragging you into this.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’m just shocked they saw us.”

“If you don’t want to be apart of this madness then I won’t blame you. I won’t hold it against you if you want to walk away from me right now.”

I twisted my head to look at him, and he was looking back at me. He looked like he meant what he had just said. And I believed him. But I wasn’t about to do that.

“I’m not letting them drive me away from you. This is nothing. Unless you want me to leave, then I mean I’ll leave.”

“Of course I don’t want you to leave! Don’t be ridiculous!” He responded.

“Then it is settled, I am staying.”

“I’m very happy that you are staying.”

“So am I.” I smiled before kissing him again.

The words were floating around in my head and I knew they were true, but I wasn’t going to say them. Not yet. I didn’t want to scare him away and I was already lucky he hadn’t ran away yet. Anybody else would have. But forever reason he hadn’t, and there was no way I was going to spring this on him just yet.