Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Reunion

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

I haven't heard from Draco in over a month. It is now the middle of November, and I'm really starting to worry. In a little over four weeks, I'll be headed back to the Manor for holiday. I can't wait. Being separated from my son is torture. Not knowing if his father is alive or dead is worse.

It's just past eleven at night, and Marissa and I have settled ourselves on one of the plush, leather couches in the common room. We are both happily tucked away in horror novels, more than willing to escape our reality. Monty and Sophie are playing a game of Wizard's Chess across from us. Monty is a pro and is attempting to teach Sophie how to play. She is clearly less than interested, and simply orders her king to kill Monty's. The little, marble figure gladly obliges.

This is how we've been spending most nights of our nights lately. None of us dare to speak about Blaise, or Draco, or anything else happening outside of school. However, the current events of the Pureblood world hang over us in the deadly silence. Reality is a dark cloud, lurking in the shadows the blazing common room fire cannot illuminate, just waiting to come forth and rip us to shreds.

Unfortunately, my lessons with Severus have continued consistenly. We are making astonishing progress, as I've devoted myself to the mission to avoid thoughts of my son and Draco. Snape is undoubtably pleased with my dedication, and we are nearly finished disarming the castle. He says that we'll be done with our appointed task by Christmas holiday, almost four months ahead of schedule. After that, I don't know what exactly I'll do to pass my time and avoid insanity. I guess I'll have to have Monty teach me to play chess. Great, that'll be loads of fun.

---

The nineteenth of November is proving to be a night like every other this past month. My group of four is holed up in the common room, each of us in our appropriate position. A group of second years tried to sit down here earlier, but Monty yelled and shot hexes at them. They left, and life goes on. I've just finished the seventh chapter of the book I am reading, when I hear a whooshing sound coming from the fireplace.

Marissa, Sophie, Monty, and I look up in unison, only to see Draco stepping out of the fireplace. He is covered in dirt, like he's been trekking through the wilderness for days. He wears a tattered travelers cloak over a pair of stained khakis and a damp, winter coat. His hair is a matted mess and hangs in his eyes. The odor that accompanies him isn't that pleasant either, like he's been pigs or muggle vermin all day.

But none of this matters to me. All I see is an angel, sent to rescue me from the confines of my own misery.

I throw my book down on the couch and run to greet him. Draco scoops me up in his arms, kissing me and twirling me around.

"I've missed you so much, Evelyn," he whispers.

"Maybe you should stop by more often then," I say in a joking tone, though meaning every word.

"I know, Love. I'm sorry. I had to go do something," he replies.

I roll my eyes and kiss him again. He cups his hands around my face, then softly pushes me away.

"We have to go, Blaise is waiting," he says, a hushed urgency in his tone.

Marissa jumps up at the mention of Blaise's name.

"He's back?" she asks, her face breaking into a relieved smile.

"Yeah," Draco answers, "He's with James and Mum."

"Can we actually meet James?" Sophie inquires, trembling with excitement.

Draco appears weary, and unenthusiastic, like Sophie's energy is drained directly from his own. However, he manages a glorious smirk nonetheless.

"Of course, Sweetie," he replies.

Sophie and Marissa are the first to depart for the Manor. Draco and I go next, followed by Monty.

When I arrived Sophie was prying James away from Blaise, while Marissa is simultaneously pulling Blaise into a fierce lip lock.

"He's so precious!" Sophie squeals.

Monty steps from the fireplace in the entry hall and looks over at James in Sophie's arms. He pats Draco on the back, and I can't help but wonder if he's going to pull a cigar out of his back pocket.

"Nice work, mate," he says.

"Excuse me?" I retort, narrowing my eyes at Monty, "I'm the one that carried him around for seven months!"

Monty laughs and pulls me into a smothering hug.

"I know you did, Princess," he whispers as he releases me, "But you got lucky, you didn't have to go through labor."

"She will next time," Draco adds, a devilish smirk spreading across his lips.

"No, I won't. I told you. I don't want anymore kids," I state firmly.

Draco wraps his arms around me and tilts my head so I am forced to stare into his gorgeous blue eyes. I swear those eyes are evil. They melt me, make me weak and defenseless to his every wish.

"And I told you," he begins, "That I will convince you otherwise."

"I still think that's a threat," I groan.

He chuckledsand kisses my forehead before pulling me tightly against his chest.

"Draco?" I whisper.

"Hmm?"

"You stink."

He laughs as I push him away.

"Seriously, go take a shower," I order jokingly.

Before Draco has a chance to retort, a horrible noise breaks the quiet of the entrance hall. The noise is somewhere in between a sob and a blood curdling scream. It sounds like my mother, well adopted mother, Rebecca Zabini. Before anyone can stop me, I take off at a sprint to investigate.

I run all the way down the entrance hall. The sound must have come from the main sitting room. As I reach the door, another noise erupts. This one is more jagged, as if the screamer's vocal chords were ready to snap. I move to open the door, but Draco grabs my arms and pulls me back.

"Let me go! That sounded like my mum!" I yell, trying to break free of his grasp.

"Your mum's going through a hard time," he whispers. Then he pulls me as tightly against him as he can, restricting my movement completely.

"Why? What aren't you telling me?"

"Steven didn't make it back with us," he says, voice drenched with sympathy.

At Draco's words, my knees buckle and my vision becomes clouded. The only father I've ever known is dead. I don't know how long I hung their limp in Draco's arms, just letting the tears cascade freely down my face. Through it all, Draco rubs my back softly and lets me grieve.

When I finally stand on my own, Blaise, and everyone else, including Narcissa and Bella have come to the door and are standing next to us. I turn to look at Blaise, expecting him to have some sort of answer. He simply shrugs his shoulders, silent tears streaming down his face, as well. I push my self away from Draco and wrap my arms around Blaise. Despite how wonderful Draco has been, I just need my brother. After a moment, Blaise pulls himself free of my grasp.

"I'm going to check on Mum," he says quietly. I nod and take a few steps back from the doorway to stand next to Marissa, who places an arm around my shoulders.

Blaise knocks on the door, but Rebecca doesn't answer.

"Mum? It's me."

A muffled noise comes from inside, but it's incomprehensible. Blaise opens the door and steps inside. He comes back out as quickly as he entered.

"Evelyn, take James upstairs. Now. Sophie, Marissa, go with her. Narcissa, you should probably go look after them."

"Why?" the four of us protest in unison, even James adds a gurgle of disagreement.

"Do it!" Blaise shouts, his screams echoing throughout the entrance hall.

In my entire life, Blaise has never once yelled at me. For a brief moment, we all stand there in shock. Then, I quickly snap to attention and retrieve James from Sophie. It only takes one glance into Blaise's eyes for me to know what has happened, but I try to deny myself those thoughts. Instead of accepting them, I simply shake them from my head and take off down the hall at a brisk walk.

It is only a few seconds before I hear the patter of Sophie and Marissa's slippers following me and the clacking of Narcissa's stilettos behind them.

With every tap of her heel, my heart beats more furiously.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I'm a slacker.

Also, if anyone could point me in the direction of a good, Gerard Way het, I would be much obliged. :)

Comments?

XoXo Kate