Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Attic

DRACO'S P.O.V.

I grab the nearest object and hurl it across the room. The innocent victim is my mother's favorite Fabrice egg, which shatters into a thousand tiny glass shards against the stone walls of the entrance hall. Of course, Father repairs it instantly with a simple spell, and places it back on it's stand, which only fuels my rage.

"She did what?" I ask for the millionth time. The reality of the situation still hasn't sunk in.

"Evelyn ran willingly with Potter, the blood traitor, and Mudblood to their little safe haven," Bella states calmly.

I stare at her in disbelief, again. Everyone who had been at the funeral is now standing in a circle in the entrance hall around Bella and the Dark Lord. Bella is explaining what had happened after she chased the Golden Trio and Evelyn. We all listen intently, with the occasional interruption of an outburst of wrath from me.

"Why would she do that? It doesn't make any sense," I scream, more to myself than the crowded room, "Surely she just wanted to appear good. You know, keep up her act."

"Possibly," the Dark Lord muses, "However, I think I shall have Nagini pay a visit to Evelyn tonight, to see where her loyalties really lie. If she is acting, as you said Draco, to save her own neck, that is fine. We will use her to gather information as before. Though, if Nagini detects that she really is good, I will not hesitate to order her to bite. Her poison is lethal."

I nod. Humility is my only card to play, "Thank you for giving Evelyn a chance, my Lord."

"Oh it's not a bother, Draco. Besides, we must have her back at Hogwarts for the last week of school. She has a mission to complete with Severus, and appearances to keep up."

I nod again. He requires no further comments from me.

"Actually," the Dark Lord continues, growing thoughtful, "You shall go with Nagini. She must be protected at all times. Could you leave tonight?"

"Of course, my Lord," I reply, then pause, "What shall I do if there is a Fidelius charm over the cottage and we can't find it?"

He grins maliciously, "Be creative, Draco."

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

"You could do wondrous things," it had said.

"I don't care," I argued, "I love Draco. I want to be with him."

"You're not evil, Sweetheart," it insisted, "Besides, you belong in Gryffindor. You have friends there. Real friends. Think about it for a second. It's where you belong."

"I belong with Draco, please. My entire family will disown me if I am put in Gryffindor. I have to be a Slytherin," I begged.

"I'm so sick you children and your demands," it groaned.

"PLEASE!" I pleaded.

"SLYTHERIN!" yelled the Sorting Hat.

As it was lifted from my head, I heard a distinct whisper. A hushed whisper of warning which has stayed with me my entire life.

"Draco Malfoy will be your downfall," it had said.


I'd never thought the Sorting Hat had been right. I'd always been a Slytherin at heart.

However, now I get it. Draco was leading my down the path of evil and destruction. Well, I've chosen the right path now. He will not by my downfall. I'll save myself. I'll save my son.

I am having that same dream again. The Sorting Hat one. I have it every now and again, at random times. It is right after it's infamous warning that Harry shakes me awake.

"Evelyn! Get up!" he demands.

"What?" I ask groggily, rubbing sleep out of my eyes.

"It seems we have a visitor," he groans, echoing Bella's words from the night before.

"Who is it?"

"Draco's outside. He hasn't found the house yet because of the Fidelius Charm. I don't think he will, but we can't take any chances of him getting to you," Harry warns.

"Okay, so what do you want me to do about this?" I ask curtly.

"Go with Hermione to the attic and stay there until we come and get you. We can't have him finding you."

"Why not?"

"Because you are good now! Not bad! We don't need Draco dragging you back to the Dark side, let alone punishing you for being on the good side now."

I nod, ashamed at myself for asking him such a dumb question. Then, I allow Ron to lead me up to the attic where Hermione and Fleur are already getting comfortable.

"I expect we'll be here a while," Fleur complains.

"Knowing Draco," I sigh, "We'll be he for eternity."

We sit in silence for an hour or so, before Hermione clears her throat softly.

"Hey, Evelyn?" she asks timidly, "I hope you don't mind me asking this, but why did you finally decide to join our side?"

I sigh. I had known this question would come up.

"I did it for James, my son," I answer, "I want to help the good side win the war, so that he doesn't grow up in a world of chaos and danger. I want him to have the opportunity to live his own life and decide what's right for him; a luxury most Purebloods don't receive."

"That is so sweet," Fleur says, "I bet you are a great mother."

"I don't have time to be a mother, really," I reply, "I've been stuck in Hogwarts. Hell, I probably won't see James again until the war is over. But when it is, I plan to raise him properly."

"Good," Hermione states coldly, "We don't need him to be anything like his father."

I wince and look out one of the small attic windows. Draco is still on the lawn below.

"Sorry," she says, voice softening, "I forget."

"It's okay, Hermione," I reply, tears beginning to fall down my cheeks, "I'm trying to forget too."