Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Boarding

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

The moment Fleur found out that I was planning to attend the Yule Ball upon returning to Hogwarts, she demanded that we go shopping. This proved to be an excruciating experience. It was even worse than shopping with Narcissa Malfoy, which is saying something. We spent hours in dozens of different designer stores. I tried on hundreds of dresses. Anything from short, cocktail styled dresses ("Which make your legs look fabulous!" Fleur had gushed) to extravagant ball gowns ("Which suits what you're used to as a Pureblood, I know how it is!" she sympathized.)

In the end, I selected one of the ball gowns. Ironically enough, it was red like the Gryffindor house color. Very suitable for my date, I'd say. Ron and Harry would definitely approve.

Fleur said the red made my eyes look more intensely green. Hermione said that the dress was appropriate and flattering. I thought it was somewhat plain, but no one would care. After all, I might as well not even be a Pureblood anymore. It's not like I'll be at this ball as the future Mrs. Draco Malfoy anyway.

I had robbed myself of that distinction.

The very same day, Harry and Ron robbed me of my last remembrance of that distinction. I'd been reading out in the garden near Dobby's grave. Ron sat down next to me. I was compelled to acknowledge him, and we began talking about Hogwarts and all its gossip. Then Harry came and sat on my other side and held my hand for comfort. I didn't think anything was weird until he suddenly left. I absentmindedly looked down at my hand, only to find that my engagement ring was gone.

I spent the entire night and next morning looking for my ring. I couldn't find it anywhere. Needless to say, I was beyond pissed off at Harry.

"It's for the better," he argued, "You need to get completely rid of Malfoy."

"But, Harry," I protested, "That's my engagement ring! Please! You can't take that."

He wouldn't budge. No one would. Not even Fleur would tip me off about its whereabouts. Being pissed at all of them made the departure to Hogwarts much easier. I didn't even say goodbye. I just got on the train without a backwards glance.

It had been agreed upon that in the wake of the recent tragedy, the Hogwarts train would come to fetch the Slytherin students who attended the funeral. After all, no one can apparate into Hogwarts, and no one is supposed to know about our Floo Link to the outside world.

I board the train with the little luggage I have from my shopping trip with Fleur and Hermione. I look down the long hall of the train. It appears empty. Somewhat disappointed, I begin walking down the long hallway.

Deciding to rebel a little against the thieves, I search for my old friends. I check every compartment door. I listen intently for Sophie's giggles. But I coan't hear or see anything. It appears as if I was completely alone. I try the next train car. Nothing there either.

Where the hell are they?

I search the rest of the train, but I can't find Monty, Sophie, or Marissa anywhere. That is my first clue that the war is getting serious. If the Slytherins aren't coming back to Hogwarts, they are being trained. I should be being trained. I should be dueling Draco right now, then taking quick breaks every few hours to feed James, fly, or participate in other 'recreational' activities. Well, obviously, I never get what I want.

I'm on the good side now. There's no training on the good side, other than the DA, which I run. There's no Draco, none of my childhood friends, no James. All there is, is my new friends and myself. Really, in this war, all I have is me.

And to tell you the truth, Evelyn Zabini is the last person I trust.