Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Dance and Reflection

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

The following week at Hogwarts was the worst week of my life. None of the remaining Slytherins would even acknowledge my presence, not that I was supposed to talk to them, but still, it hurt. I hung out with mostly Gryffindors. You know, Neville and Ginny, and occasionally Luna. It took awhile, but I was finally starting to feel like I fit in around them.

"Wow, that dress looks amazing on you!" Ginny gushes.

"Thanks. Are you sure? It feels so plain compared to what I'm used to," I reply, trying not to sound like a completely spoiled brat.

"Oh, Evelyn, you silly little prat. It looks fabulous," she assures me.

Ginny really is a sweet girl, so I smile and nod. I use my wand to fix my hair into loose curls. We do our make up, and I nearly kill Ginny when she refuses to let me touch the black eyeliner.

"Evelyn, this ball is all about being different. It's about you stepping out of your comfort zone and becoming a new person. The old Evelyn wear's dark eyeliner, you don't. You don't need such things, you are naturally beautiful."

Her warning is calm and sincere. Any other girl would have listened. However, when she was fastening the buckle on her strappy heels, I transfigured the eyeliner into a diamond barrette and used it to pull my curls off of my face. You never know when you'll need to instantly darken up.

We leave for the ball after that.

When we enter the Great Hall, it looks like poor Neville is going to have a heart attack. His chubby jaw nearly hits the floor when his eyes land on me. I don't approve of this. Every nerve in my body is screaming at me to run to Draco, to tell him that some filthy blood traitor is undressing me with his eyes. But Draco isn’t here, and I keep my mouth shut.

"You look really pretty, Evie," Neville stutters.

"Thanks, Neville," I reply, with a semi-forced smile.

Of course, the evil demon of fate turns on a slow song.

"You, um...you wanna?" he stammers.

"I'd love to dance," I say, graciously, mimicking the tone I used to use during Pureblood galas where I was forced to dance with every eligible young man, no matter how grotesque.

Neville takes my hand and leads me out onto the dance floor. When he puts his arm around my waist, I nearly scream. This is so wrong. Again, my instinct tells me to run to Draco. I know exactly what I'd say.

"Draco some bloody maggot put his hands on me!"

And he'd take care of it, hot headed Pureblood that he is.

But Draco still isn’t here, and like the first time, I keep my mouth shut. It doesn't matter. This is my life now. I’ll get used to it. I can't call on Draco to save me anymore. He wouldn't come anyway, he probably hates me by now.

I don't blame him. I'd hate me too.

DRACO'S P.O.V.

James snuggles in closer to my chest as I cradle him in my arms. My poor son. His mother has just abandoned him. Hell she abandoned me too.

I want to hate her. Anger is a luxury. I'd give anything to be able to be mad at her. It would be so amazingly simple if I could be mad. In my rage, I'd simply forget she even exists, block her from my thoughts, and erase her from my memory. But it's not that easy.

Every glimpse into James' green eyes brings me back to Evelyn. It hurts.

How could she have done this to us? To me?

After all we've been through, everything we've done to be together...was love not enough?

Of course it wasn't. It should have been, but she wanted something else. She wanted to be good. That bloody hat was right.

It warned me, didn't it? But I didn't listen.

"She's good at heart, Draco. Sure, she is cruel, cunning, clever, and extremely ambitious. However, she was very brave and noble too. She would have gone so far in Gryffindor. I always thought she and Fred Weasley would make a good match."

"Do you have a point to this?" I asked it disgustedly.

"Yes. You Slytherins and your impatience, calm down. The point is, she should have been in Gryffindor. I told her that. And do you know what she said back in her head? She said that she couldn't be in Gryffindor because then you would never love her, and all she wanted was to be in Slytherin with you."

I was shocked. Evelyn had wanted to be in Slytherin for me?

"You better take good care of Evelyn, Draco Malfoy. You really don't deserve her," the hat warned me. "You just better hope she never figures that out."

"I'll keep that in mind," I sneered.


Evelyn had figured it out. She knew now that I didn't deserve her. It was true, too. I never had deserved her, but I will. Oh yes, I will.

I'm going to redeem myself, so that I may truly deserve her now.

I lay James, who was now fast asleep, inside his crib. He's had a long week, whether he realizes it or not. We both have.

"Draco?" a voice whispers from the doorway.

I turn to see Sophie peeking her head in from the hallway.

"Yes, Sophie?"

"The Dark Lord wants to see you. Actually, he's summoned all the Death Eaters. He says it's almost time to move."

I nod my head. I didn't think it would come this soon. He is bringing the war to Hogwarts, so suddenly. We aren't ready, though I doubt they will be either.

"Are you scared, Drake?" Sophie asks, walking over to where I am standing in front of James' crib.

"Not for myself," I reply, glancing down at James' crib.

Sophie peers down at James and puts her hand on my shoulder, "We'll all be fine," she states, "Even Evelyn."

"I hope you’re right," I whisper, turning to leave.

On the way out the door, I spy a glimpse of my reflection in the glass of a picture frame.

Awh, fuck it.

Who was I kidding? I could never redeem myself. My eyes are pitch black, there's no going back from that now. My destiny has been chosen for me, ironically enough, it's the same as the first time.

Despite all of our attempts, I'm still heir to the throne I never wanted in the first place.

Once Scarhead's out of the way, it'll be my turn to rule the world as the Dark Lord.