Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Change

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

The dance began to break up about midnight. Neville, gentlemen he was trying to be, took the liberty of escorting me to the Slytherin common room. Sure, he was a bit skiddish in the dungeons, but overall he was nice. And yeah, he casually reached for my hand a few times; efforts I continually refused. Though really, I had an enjoyable night.

After what seems like hours of walking in awkward silence, we reach the dungeon wall which serves as the common room door. I turn to face Neville, leaning against the wall nonchalantly.

"I had a good time tonight, Evie," he whispers.

"Me too, Neville. It was fun," I agree.

Neville looks down at his feet and begins to shuffle from foot to foot. He has a slightly pink tone to his face. I know what he is doing. I've never seen a guy actually do it before, as I've been around arrogant, overly confident Purebloods my whole life. But the stories I've heard about shy guys give me enough knowledge of his plans. Neville is mustering up the courage to give me a kiss.

"Evelyn? Do you think maybe, that I um...can I kiss you?" he stutters.

"Neville, I thought we were just going to be friends," I say quietly.

He opens his mouth to say something, but then shuts it quickly. I look down one of the dungeon hallways, willing this awkward moment to disappear.

"Sorry, Evelyn."

The apology is soft, as if carried from a distant place with the wind. I turn back in his direction.

"Oh, Neville, don't be sorry. It's fine," I state.

A bewildered expression crosses Neville’s face.

"I didn't say anything," he whispers.

"Yes you did!" I protest, "You apologized for asking for a kiss."

"No, I didn't."

"Then who said that?" I ask defiantly.

With another dose of perfect timing, fate delivers me the rest of the message from the unknown speaker.

"I never meant to cause you all of this pain."

This time I know the voice. I should have recognized it before. Merlin, I miss that voice. The arrogant drawl, the charm, the bitter-sweetness, the sarcasm, the occasional hint of sincerity.

Was he here?

"Draco?" I ask stupidly, "What pain? What are you talking about? Where are you?"

The question of his location is answered by my common sense. The dungeon hallways are empty except for Neville and me.

The inquiry of his statement's meaning, well, that became crystal clear as well.

I drop to my knees in pain. I've never felt such a horrid feeling before. My stomach feels as if there are a thousand knives stabbing through it. My back feels like someone is whipping it with a leather belt. Black spots begin to overtake my vision, blurring it. This causes my eyes to water as I desperately attempt to blink the blind spots away.

I can feel a suction in my arms, under my skin. It feels like someone is sucking my blood through a straw up my veins. That's when the black spots turned red. I can literally see my own blood pooling into my eyes. I can feel it pouring out my eyes as I try to wipe them. Only, I can’t find my hands. They are lost, pinned at my sides; I am rigid and immobile and stuck on that god forsaken dungeon floor.

Suddenly, the red pools disappear, the blood leaving my eyes as quickly as it filled them. They begin to feel dry. Not only dry, but icy, as if they are being frozen in place.

The eyes are the easiest part. My whole head feels like it is going to split open. A rush of emotions overtakes me. I feel pain, obviously, but there’s more to it. I feel evil, extremely evil. And the power I feel, it’s immeasurable. It’s such a surge, like I can do anything, even without a wand. I feel invincible, ready to take on the wizarding world in its entirety.

That's when I give in. I let the power overcome me, consume me.

When it is satisfied, the pain ceases completely.

"Evelyn, are you okay?" Neville whispers, his voice shaking with fear.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I groan, pushing myself up off of the floor.

"Are you kidding? Was I the only one who saw that? I mean, holy shit! You collapsed on your knees, and you were convulsing, and bleeding!" he yells. His shrill voice pierces through my ears. His fear fans a fire in my gut, a delicious, sultry fire.

Let's do a little experiment and see just how much power I've got.

"Neville, dear."

When I say his name, my voice becomes melodious. It is like that of a Siren. I've never been good with Confundus charms, but I certainly won't need one now to get my way.

"I'm fine, Sweetheart," I assure him, "Go back to your common room."

Neville's face assumes a dreamy, dazed expression. I have him under my spell all right.

"Yes, Evelyn," he replies, voice just as dreamy as his fat face.

"Goodbye, Neville," I spit, voice losing its musical touch
.
Neville begins to turn and walk away, but spins back around to face me before I can escape into the common room.

"You have really pretty eyes, you know," he comments, still dazed, "As blue as ice."

I lightly touch the corner of my right eye.

"Thanks, Neville," I reply quickly, trying not to sound panicked.

I mutter the password and nearly sprint into the common room. I cross the room and almost run into the full length mirror that hangs across from the fireplace.

Shock spreads rapidly across my face when I lay sight on my eyes. They really are blue, icy blue. The same color of Draco’s eyes.

What the fuck is going on?

I spare a glance at the reflection of the emerald flames dancing in the fireplace behind me. When I look into the fire, I can’t help but think of Draco. I'd spent so many nights with him and my fellow Slytherins on the couches in front of that fire. But that was the past; I'm a different person now, right?

I stare at my newly icy blue eyes, daring them to defy me.

I am a different person, that is for sure.

What have you done to me, Draco?