Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Answers

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

I stayed locked up in my dorm the next day. I didn't want anyone to see my eyes. They didn't need to realize that I had changed, especially when I didn't even know what exactly I'd changed into.

My reflection taunts me. It laughs at my feeble attempts to magically return my eyes to their emerald green color. Despite my continuous efforts to rid myself of the blue, I must admit that it's rather gorgeous. Yes, stunning, but painful. Every glance at my reflection reminds me of Draco. Every look, no matter how brief, only makes my yearning to return to him and the Dark side grasp tighter around my heart. I want to go back; I need to go back, but I can't. I shouldn't return. I'm doing what's right. Aren't I?

Why blue? Why Draco's exact eye color? There has to be some sick logic to this, right? I mean seriously, most magic has a purpose, a hidden meaning.

I stand in front of my bathroom counter for hours, simply staring into my eyes and pondering my questions. My memory hurts from being so violently searched. Surely I've heard somewhere what this could be. I have to have been taught about this in Hogwarts. Maybe not. Before Hogwarts? In my Pureblood schooling before I came here?

That has to be it.

But why can't I remember? Damn it. Where's another well trained Pureblood when I need them?

"In the Headmaster's office," I whisper slowly, answering my own question.

Severus would know what to do, he had to. He’s my only hope.

It is nearly midnight by the time I muster up the courage to go out into the world and ask Snape what is happening to me. When I arrive at his office, I can see light seeping from the bottom of the door. He is still awake.

"Severus?" I call out, softly knocking on the door to the Headmaster's office.

The grand doors open to reveal a tired looking Snape.

"Evelyn, can't this wait? I really don't have time right now," he groans.

"Severus, look at me," I state defiantly, exaggerating a blink and opening my eyes wide.

"I advised him not to change the boy yet!" Snape hollers, retreating into his office.

I follow him, completely lost as to what he is talking about.

"Change who? Severus, what's going on?"

"Girl, you've been too busy pretending to be good. Do you know nothing?" he growls.

Oh shit, I forgot he still thinks that! I tried not to let my panic show.

"Well obviously not!" I shout, "Care to elaborate?"

Severus rolls his eyes and gestures for me to take a seat. I comply and wait eagerly for him to speak.

"Thomas Riddle is no longer the Dark Lord," he begins in a hushed tone.

I gasp, "Then who is?"

"Don't you know?" he asks me in a sly tone.

I think for a second and then touch my eyelids.

"You always did catch on quickly," he chuckles.

"Explain it," I demand, "Tell me exactly what's going on in the Pureblood world."

"Giving orders now, are we?" Snape asks amused, leaning back in his chair. "What gives you the right to tell me, your elder and Headmaster, what to do?"

I lightly touch my eyelids again, finally remembering what I needed to from my childhood years of Pureblood schooling.

The sitting room was cool and refreshing on such a humid, summer day. I sipped on my ice chilled lemonade and twirled my left pigtail with my free hand. Narcissa was giving the lecture today. It was all about the boring monarchy based system which was Pureblood government. Like five year olds really gave a shit about that.

I squirmed impatiently and scooted closer to Draco. Sophie and Monty were just barely staying awake. Blaise and Marissa were whispering about Quidditch. Crabbe and Goyle were busy eating their lunch.
Narcissa droned on and on about the way things were run. She explained how we are ruled by a Dark Lord, and sometimes, he requires Dark Queen. She talked about how they each had a team of advisors to help them make important decisions. Though, the only part I really paid attention to was how much power the Dark Queen had.

"You see, kids," Narcissa continued, "The Dark Lord is given his powers; however, the Dark Queen is automatically chosen by the Dark Lord's subconscious. She is the woman he loves the most in the world. After the Dark Lord and Queen are chosen, his eyes turn red with his blood to signify his identity. She feels a considerable amount of pain, then her eyes turn the color that the Dark Lord's originally were. They do this so that she is constantly reminded of her love for him, and that he is constantly reminded of who he is, behind his power, every time he looks at her."

"One day, that will be us," Draco whispered to me, beginning to master his smirk.

"Are you sure, Draco?" I asked.

"Of course," he stated confidently.

Then, when Narcissa's back was turned, he kissed me on the cheek.


"Evelyn?" Snape snaps, "What do you think gives you the right to order me around like a muggle?"

"I'm the Dark Queen," I declare, "I'll tell you what to do if I want."

Severus lets a smirk creep across his lips.

"As I said before, you really do catch on quickly," he drawls.

I return his smirk and rise from my chair.

"Thank you, Severus," I say before turning to leave, "I think I've figured some things out now."

He nods and begins rummaging through some papers on his desk.

I leave the Headmaster’s office with a weight lifted from my chest. At least now I know who I am. Yet, a new weight quickly settles itself where the old one had left. All facade of confidence aside, I don't want to be the Dark Queen. Hell, I can't be the Dark Queen, not after leaving that part of my life completely. No, for no reason will I ever even consider going back there. That is the past, I'm done with it.

I become so lost in thought that I barely notice the tall figure of Professor McGonagell rush past me.

What in the world is she doing up so late?

"Professor?" I ask her, turning around to face her.

She whips her head around, pointed hat nearly falling off of her head.

"Ms. Zabini! What in Merlin's name are you doing up so late?" she demands.

"I had to see the Headmaster, it was important," I inform her.

"Oh, well, that was very irresponsible, but," she seems rather flustered, "No matter. I need you to report to your common room immediately. We are evacuating the school."

"Why?" I ask incredulously.

"It is not my place to tell you. Your Head of House will explain everything to you, now go!" she commands, turning to leave.

Hogwarts is by far the safest place in the wizarding world. So why, then, would they evacuate it unless grave peril is in the near future? The only thing disastrous enough to come here would be the war. But tonight? The Dark Lord wouldn't bring the war here so soon, unless of course, he was here...

I need to stop her. I need to see if my suspicion is true.

"Minerva."

Yeah, that got her attention.

"Ms. Zabini! I hardly think it is proper for you to-"

"Where's Harry?" I interrupt her.

"What do you mean? I have no idea where Mr. Potter's whereabouts may be."

"Look. I've been on both sides," I begin, "The only reason Voldemort would bring the war to Hogwarts so suddenly is if Harry was here."

Professor McGonagell looks shocked for a brief moment, sighs.

"The Room of Requirement," she states simply, "Do you know how to get in?"

I can't help but let a Malfoy worthy smirk creep across my face.

"Yes, I've spent a few nights there."