Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

War Arrives

DRACO'S P.O.V.

I lay the sleeping figure of my son, James, in his crib and nestle him into his emerald velvet blankets. My mother sits next to his crib in the black rocking chair. She rocks back and forth with a sort of numb ease about her. Her usually perfect blonde hair is frazzled, and her eyes carry a sort of frantic look, but she keeps her composure flawless, none the less.

My attention is torn away from the sight before me by an intense burning sensation on my arm. I look down to see my Dark Mark glow a faint green against my skin. As I glance up, Narcissa's gaze meets mine.

"It's time, isn't it?" she inquires softly.

"Yes, Mother," I reply.

She stands up and wraps her arms around me.

"You have no idea how proud I am to have such a brave son, Draco," she whispers. I can feel little wet spots from her tears stain my neck.

"Thank you, Mother," I say, "I love you. Watch over James for me, all right?"

"Of course, Sweetheart," she answers, eyes glistening.

I place a quick kiss on the forehead and pull her arms off of me. With one final glance at James, I disapparate to face the war, and potentially, my death.

I arrive, as planned, on the edge of the Forbidden Forest, just out of view from the castle. I am greeted by the unfamiliarly shaky voice of Goyle, who appears absolutely terrified at the thought of the impending battle.

"R-ready, my Lord?" he asks me, voice cracking with nerves.

My Lord. I've only officially been the Dark Lord for one day and the title is already stuck to me. I nod once and draw my wand from my robes.

"Remember," I command, "Voldemort said we're not to move until Blaise's legion attacks."

My group nods and turns its attention towards the castle. Crabbe is the only one who kept his eyes on me.

"You're scared, aren't you, Draco?"

I shoot him a death glare with my newly black eyes. He doesn't even flinch.

Sighing, I allow my look to soften. "Of course, I'm, well, anxious," I correct, "But I'm not scared for myself."

Crabbe pats me on the shoulder. "We'll bring her home, Draco. Don't worry. The second one of us finds Evelyn we'll bring her straight to you, safe and sound."

"I'm not scared of her being hurt," I groan, shrugging his hand off of my shoulder.

Crabbe gives me a rather befuddled look.

"I'm scared that she won't want to come back."

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

I've never run so swiftly in my entire life. By the time I reach the Room of Requirement, my heart feels as if it is about to explode from pumping so rapidly. I pace to and fro in front of the door three times, thinking of how badly I need to see my brother. As it always has done, the door appears, granting me entrance to see Harry. I throw open the door, and my eyes search frantically around the room and through various DA and Order members, until I finally find him.

"Harry!" I yell.

The whole room goes silent and everyone's gaze falls upon me. Harry turns as well, peering at me in disbelief through his messy black hair.

"Evie!" he hollers back, running across the room quickly and scooping me up in his arms.

"I’m glad that you’re okay, Harry!" I exclaim as he sets me down.

"Me too," he replies.

Harry's face grows somber. He grabs my shoulders tightly and holds me out at arms’ length, staring me intently in the eyes.

He noticed that they're blue. Oh Merlin, how am I going to get myself out of this one?

"What happened to your eyes, Evelyn?" Harry asks, in the most serious tone I've ever heard him speak in. "They're blue, like his."

On the last word, Harry's voice turns menacing. Obviously he doesn't feel like showing any compassion towards Draco or my feelings, for that matter.

"Oh nothing, just a mascara spell gone wrong," I laugh, trying to sound innocent.

Harry still looks extremely skeptical.

"You see, I was trying to figure out a way to magically apply blue mascara to save some time, but it went a little wrong, and I got stuck with blue eyes," I explain rapidly.

Harry rolls his eyes, "Evelyn, you're a brilliant witch, how do you let these stupid little things happen to you?"

"Bad luck?" I suggest, biting my bottom lip.

Harry chuckles and releases me. Apparently the over-protective, big brother within him is appeased, for now at least.

"Listen up, everyone!" Harry demands, turning to face the group.

Again, the room falls silent, as the eyes of the DA and Order members watch Harry carefully.

"Voldemort is coming here," he states, "He will attack shortly. Professor McGonagall and the other professors have attempted to put some defenses up for Hogwarts. However, these will not last forever. All those who wish to save themselves may leave now, I will not think less of you, and could never ask you to stay for this."

Harry and I both glance around nervously. Not a soul leaves. Ginny moves to his side.

Stupid Gryffindors, noble and brave until the end...

"Right," Harry continues, "Well, let's get out there then so we're ready when they come!"

I move towards the door with the rest of the crowd. Harry grabs my arm, as well as Ginny’s, and pulls us both to either side of him.

"You two are not going to fight," he states.

"Harry that's so unfair!" Ginny complains.

"Look, Harry," I protest, "This war is just as much mine as it is yours."

"And that is exactly why I will not have you fighting in it!" he says, "Evelyn, every one of those Dark wizards is going to be after you. And Ginny, I can't stand to see you hurt. I'd die if anything happened to you, to either of you."

I roll my eyes and look at Ginny, who has her arms folded defiantly across her chest.

"Please," Harry pleads with us, "Do me this one favor."

I lower my gaze to the floor and sigh.

"Fine," I groan.

Ginny looks at me incredulously, then surrenders as well.

"Thank you both so much," Harry says, "The moment you hear the fighting begin, take the tunnel back to Hogsmeade, okay?"

We nod in unison. Harry gives me a kiss on the cheek and a hug. He gives Ginny a longer, more passionate kiss and then rushes off to battle.

"I can't believe him," she groans, moving over to sit down in a chair.

"Yeah, I know, the nerve," I agree, moving to the door and peering out and down the hall.

"Evelyn, what are you doing?"

"Do you seriously think that I'm going to stay out of this war?" I snap. "My son's future depends on this, my entire family is in this war, and the man I gave my heart to is basically leading the opposing side. This is just as much my war as it is Harry's."

Ginny nods and smiles from ear to ear.

"Where to?" she asks, "We can't go down to the Great Hall yet, he'll see us."

"I have to make a stop in the Slytherin common room, actually," I announce, "Care to join me?"

"I'd be delighted," Ginny replies.

I smirk at her and lead the way out of the door and down the hallway.

"And what exactly are we getting from your common room?"

"Oh nothing," I say nonchalantly, "Just a few precautions."

"Like what?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."