Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Return

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

Ginny drags me down flight after flight of stairs and refuses to release my arm until we reach the Great Hall. It is the only place without any fighting. As it is housing the dead and injured, both sides thought it inappropriate to fight in there. We, however, find it a refuge in which I can explain some things to Ginny.

"I thought for sure you would go back to Draco when you saw him," Ginny says, gasping for air from our extensive run.

"Yeah, me too," I reply,

Not like you even gave me the opportunity, Ms. Iron Grip...

"So what is it that you need to explain to me, exactly?" she asks tenderly. I can tell the subject made her nervous.

Why should I tell you anything, blood traitor?

"Well, it's kind of complicated. Just listen until I'm done and don't make any assumptions, all right?"

"Okay,” she replies cautiously.

I draw in a deep breath of air and summon every Slytherin instinct I can muster. I will have to lie my ass off here. Otherwise, I'll incriminate myself, and she'll figure me out for sure.

Where to begin?

I allow my best Malfoy smirk to cross my lips, as I come up with the perfect way to sugar coat my life for Ginny.

"You see," I begin roughly, "I recently acquired these powers, like you saw with the Parseltongue and when I caused that explosion just now."

Ginny nods understandingly.

"Well, I got them because I gained a very high title in Pureblood society," I explain.

"How did you do that?" she interrupts.

"Let me try and finish explaining, okay?"

Ginny falls silent and waits patiently for me to continue.

"Someone gave these powers to me out of love, because they gained powers as well."

"Draco," she states.

"Why do you think it's him?" I asks, hoping my tone doesn’t sound too defensive.

"You have his eye color now," Ginny reasons.

Merlin, she should have been in Ravenclaw...

"Yeah, okay, it was Draco. That's what Snape told me anyway. Oh well, look the point is that Draco acquired new powers, and his subconcious gave me these because he loves me. Get it?"

"Not really," Ginny answers honestly, "But let me try to make sense of it. Draco got powers, and his love for you gave you powers as well?"

"Basically," I say.

More like he became the new Dark Lord and made me the Dark Queen by default, but yeah, that was close enough for her mind.

"Can't you get rid of them?" Ginny asks.

"No, I'm stuck with them for eternity," I answer.

Ginny's mouth forms an “Oh,” but no sound comes from her throat. She just sits there soaking in what bits of the truth I shared with her. I am about to break the uncomfortable silence, when we hear Voldemort's voice boom loudly from a distance.

He is ordering the Death Eaters to retreat and promising to give the Good side mercy if Harry Potter gives himself up. Numerous Order members and Good wizards and witches begin filing into the Great Hall. The Weasley's come in amongst the crowd, carrying Fred's limp body with them.

"FRED!" Ginny cries, running over to her family.

"What happened?" I ask, jogging up behind her.

"An explosion near the Room of Requirement killed him," Ron answers.

On one side of me; my heart sinks. I caused that explosion. Fred died because of me.

On the other side; it feels so empowering to take a life. I've never experienced such a rush of emotions before. My entire body feels energized, as if all of my powers are surfacing. I have the strangest feeling that I won't have to try so hard to summon them anymore.

We stand there for a while, everyone else crying, and me in deep thought. It is after nearly half an hour that I notice that Harry had never been present. Sisterly instincts kicking in, I decide that I should go in search of him. After all, he’s probably gone off to do something stupid and suicidal.

I find Harry all too easily. He is conversing with Neville. I am too close to them, surely they will see me. In my panic, I look for somewhere to hide. If they do see me, I will never know what is truly going on in this war.

In my desperation, I feel the weirdest sensation flood my body. It is a slight tingling, like that of when your foot falls asleep and you have to stamp it awake. Taking a look at my body, I realize it has turned invisible.

Now this is a power I could get used to...

I walk over to Harry and Neville as quietly as I can. Unfortunately, I miss the majority of their conversation. All I can catch is Harry asking Neville to kill Nagini if he doesn't come back.

So he really is going to give himself up? Doesn't he know that he'll be killed?

A part of me is scared; I don't want to lose my brother.

The other part laughs at its weaker half and reminds it of Blaise, my true brother. What do I need this filthy halfblood for when I have him?

For the time being, I decide to listen to the second part.

Harry leaves Neville and begins walking towards the Forbidden Forest, where Voldemort is rumored to be camped out. I creep behind him stealthily, trying to be as silent as possible. At the forest's edge, he comes to an abrupt stop and whispers something inaudible into a Quidditch Snitch. The snitch opens, and Harry begins talking to people around him that I can’t see.

Must have gone bonkers from the fear of dying...

I see a few tears fall down Harry's cheeks, leaving streaks that glisten in what little moonlight is beginning to show. He wipes away a final tear, and then marches bravely into the woods. I continue at my slow pace behind him.

Harry reaches the clearing where Voldemort and the Death Eaters are waiting. I duck for cover behind a tree and watch the spectacle. They chat briefly, and then, with a flash of green light, I watch my brother die.

Upon seeing Harry die, it becomes crystal clear to me what I need to do. Sure, I want the Dark Side to win, but Harry is my brother.

I'll give Harry one last shot at victory and let destiny decide.

That is my final thought on the matter. I can’t be all bad, but I can’t be all good. I'll give Harry a chance, but not tempt fate further.

I gaze out from behind the tree at the Death Eaters. Everyone I know is there, including sweet Sophie, Marissa, Monty, Blaise, and of course, Draco.

When my eyes land on him, I feel the most searing pain pierce my heart. I know have to return to him and now is the moment. However, before I make my presence known, I take the diamond barrette out of my pocket and let it transfigure itself back into eyeliner. I tap the tree with my hand, and a small, round mirror appears. I squint in the darkness, but manage to apply the eyeliner just as I used to. When it is in place, I change my tennis shoes into Converse, give my nice jeans some good rips, and make my conservative shirt into layered tank tops. For the final touch, I take out my pony tail, and let my curly, black hair fall gracefully around my shoulders.

Ladies and gentlemen, Evelyn Zabini is back for good.