Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

The Dark Side

Evelyn's P.O.V.

Before this instant, I would have told you that leaving Draco, leaving my life, was the most terrifying thing I'd ever done. Leaving everything I'd ever known and running with Harry straight into the unknown was absolutely horrifying. Though now, desiring to return seems even more ridiculous.

Will my return be welcomed?

Were those boys chasing after me supposed to bring me to my death?


The second I step out from behind the tree, I feel a wave of terror tremor its way through my entire entity. Though the large group of Death Eaters is crowded around Voldemort, it will only be moments before they realized my presence.

Bellatrix Lestrange is bent over Voldemort. I can barely make out her long, black hair and pale face through the crowd of robes. She looks absolutely panic-stricken. I've never seen such worry cross her features before. Something bad must have happened when Voldemort killed Harry.

Voldemort rises and the group begins to disperse. I take this as my opportunity to make myself known. Taking a few steps forward, I let my feet fall somewhat heavy, stirring the leaves underneath them. My foot lands on a twig, snapping it in half. Every head jerks in my direction.

"Have a little accident there, Tom?" I tease Voldemort.

Gasps fill the air. Voldemort gives me a contemptuous glare.

“You insolent little rodent!” he screams, lifting up his wand, “Avada Kedavra!”

With the flick of my wrist, the beam of green light makes a right angle and hits some poor Death Eater square in the chest, sending him to his death. I; however, am unscathed.

"I don't believe it," Sophie whispers.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Marissa clutch Blaise's arm in shock. She does this as if grasping something tangible will prove that she isn't dreaming.

There is awe on every Death Eater's face. They thought I was weak. They thought that I, their Queen, had deserted them. Little did they know, I had thought that, too.

"Merlin, guys, try to contain your excitement," I comment sarcastically.

It is after this statement that I allow myself to gaze upon Draco. He is standing in the center of the group, towards the rear. His arms are crossed, and he is wearing his infamous smirk.

"Took you long enough, Zabini," Draco says, his familiar drawl washing over me.

I scrunch up my nose, walking towards the center of the group confidently.

"Zabini, eh?" I roll my eyes, "I really don't think that's appropriate."

I bend down over Harry. He is lying lifeless and still, face down on the ground.

I will my new powers to transfer some of the murky, blue potion in the velvet bag around my neck into Harry's mouth. When I see little blue drops stain his lips, I know that my task is complete.

Now that my conscious is clear, I can follow my heart.

I use my instinct and reach into Harry's pocket, pulling out the engagement ring he'd stolen from me a week ago. Delicately, I slip it back onto my left-hand ring finger.

Still a perfect fit.

"As I was saying, Draco. Zabini is hardly appropriate any longer. I think it would be wise for me to become accustomed to the name Malfoy," I drawl silkily, rising to face him.

The second I am standing erect, I feel an intense force pulling me to Draco. It sweeps me off my feet, literally, and pulls me directly into his arms. He holds me tightly against his chest and stares deeply into my icy, blue eyes. I return his gaze, exploring his new crimson ones for the first time.

"You didn't have to use force you know," I whisper, "I would have come willingly."

"I don't want to take any chances. Losing you again would kill me," he replies, pushing a lock of hair behind my ear.

Then he does something that steals the breath from my lungs. He smiles at me. Not a smirk. A full, bright, glorious smile of true happiness; and I know I've made the right decision in coming back.

I cut his smile off by pressing my lips to his. Draco returns the kiss immediately, forcing his tongue into my mouth. I gladly accept and wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him even closer to me. I felt tears begin to pour out of my eyes and can soon taste little bits of salt in our kisses. Draco breaks the kiss and begins placing light kisses along my jaw line, neck, and down to my collarbone. I let out a soft moan of satisfaction. I've missed his kisses more than anything.

Just as he returns to kissing my lips, Bellatrix feels fit to ruin this glorious moment.

"Even though we are all overjoyed that our new Dark Lord has finally been reunited with his Queen, I think it would be in our best interest to return to the war at hand."

Draco gives me a devilish smirk, but releases me and nods. At this, I turn my attention to Sophie and Marissa. They both run over to me and hug me so tightly that I feel like I will burst. It is so nice to be amongst friends again. I give them each a quick kiss on the cheek as they let me go.

I turn to Montague next, who smiles at me and holds out his arms. I return his smile and let him scoop me up and swing me around.

"We've missed you, Princess, or should I say Queen?" he jokes, setting me down.

"Princess will do, Monty," I laugh in reply.

At long last, I look at Blaise, my true brother. He takes me in his arms and holds me against his chest for what seems like hours. I can’t stop more tears from falling at this point.

"I'm so sorry," I sob into his shirt, "I should have never picked Harry over you, over my family. Blaise, I'm so so sorry."

Blaise pushes me away from him and holds me at arms' length from his body.

"You did what you thought was right. It's fine, Sis."

"No, it's not," I whisper, wiping a tear from my cheek.

"You came back, Evie. That's all any of us wanted."

I nod and kiss his cheek, beginning to feel the invisible force tugging at me once more. Draco wants me again. I’m pulled to his side, as if captured by a lasso.

"Your powers are quite advanced now too, aren't they?" I ask him.

"Yes," he sigh, "But this is the first night that they've worked."

"What do you mean?"

"They don't work without your love, Sweetheart."

"You always had my love," I whisper, "It just took me awhile to realize it."

He wraps his arms around me and kisses my forehead. We stand there together as Voldemort began torturing Harry's "dead body". When he is satisfied with shaming his greatest adversary, he orders Hagrid to pick Harry up and carry him to the castle. The opposition must see their conquered hero.

Draco holds my hand as we walk through the shrubbery back towards the castle. We fall behind, letting the others gain some distance in front of us.

Draco squeezes my hand, then opens his mouth to speak.

"That was probably the stupidest thing you've ever done, Evelyn," he states.

Oh shit.

I want to ask him what he means, but he cuts me off.

"Yes, oh shit," he groans, "Why would you bring Potter back to life after we worked so hard to destroy him?"

How did he know all of this?

I open my mouth to reply and am interrupted yet again.

"I can't believe you. Didn't you ever consider that perhaps destiny wanted Voldemort to kill Harry?"

"Draco I-"

"I know, okay, I know. He's your brother. You wanted him to have a fair chance. I understand, love. I just really wish you weren't so good sometimes," Draco sighs.

“If you knew, why didn’t you tell Voldemort?”

“We don’t have to answer to him, anymore.”

I fall silent for a moment, considering this, wondering what it would mean for my future.

"You can read my mind?" I ask.

"Of course," he states, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Can't you read mine?"

I shake my head.

"Your full powers just haven't surfaced yet. They'll grow stronger each moment we're together. Just give it some time, they'll show up soon."

I nod, "Think you can hold off reading my every thought until I can do the same?"

He sighs, "No way in hell."

I want to be angry, but instead just smile, and Draco squeezes my hand. I look up and see Hogwarts in plain sight. Voldemort and the rest of the Death Eaters are halfway across the lawn, headed towards the entrance hall. The survivors on the other side are slowly leaking out of the castle to see what the commotion is about.

"They won't surrender," I say flatly.

"Of course not, Potter's alive," Draco says, softer than I expect.

When we reach the rest of the Death Eaters, Draco leads me to Voldemort's side. I'd nearly forgotten that with our position of power we have to display our authority.

As we reach the front of the crowd, choruses of gasps and “Traitor!” fill the air, all directed at me. Draco wraps his arm protectively around my waist.

"It's going to be all right," Draco's voice whispers reassuringly in my head. Apparently he can not only read my thoughts, but speak to me through them as well.

"Last chance to go back to the good side," his voice rings in my head.

I shake my head, and I form a typical Malfoy smirk with my lips, ready to play my part. I've chosen to be the Dark Queen. There is no going back now. But I am happy, I made the right choice.

I whisper to Draco, "I love you," as Voldemort begins boasting about his triumph over Harry and more and more wizards and witches yell insults at me.

"I love you, too," Draco replies.

"Yours forever?" I ask him, looking up into his crimson eyes, not hiding my fear.

He gives me a small smirk and kisses my forehead.

"Of course you'll be mine forever, I wouldn't want it any other way, Sweetheart."