Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Finale

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

My feet hit the frigid ground outside Hogwarts' castle with a thump. I look around for signs of Draco. Unfortunately, he is nowhere to be seen. I send out a telepathic call to him, but among all the other thoughts rushing into my head, I cannot tell if he’s replied. I hear fighting inside the castle. Remembering my vision, I know he'll be somewhere inside the entrance hall.

"Evelyn?"

I recognize Blaise's voice instantly. I whip my head around to face him.

"Evie, what in Merlin's name are you doing here? It's too dangerous! Go back home right now!"

"No!" I protest, "Blaise, you've got to listen to me. Look, I don't have time to explain. Draco's going to die!"

"What? No he's not. How would you even know that?"

"I saw it," I inform him.

"Like a Seer's vision?" he asks incredulously, obviously not believing me for a second.

"Yes. Blaise please, I'll explain everything later. You've got to help me find him," I plead.

Blaise sighs and grabs my hand. He begins pulling me towards the steps of the castle.

"I can't believe you. You shouldn't be back here," he groans.

"Says the man who is leading me straight to danger," I add sarcastically.

Blaise stops and turns to face me, clearly unamused. "Do you want me to lead you to Draco or not?" he asks sharply.

I nod my head, and he turns around and begins leading me once more. We reach the stairs moments later, and Blaise waves his wand, forcing the gigantic wooden doors to swing open. Blaise and I run through the doors, wands extended, ready to fight anyone who challenges us. My brother is quickly attacked by jinx and becomes locked in an intense duel. I search the room frantically for Draco, his whereabouts still eluding me.

Suddenly, a curse hits me in the back and knocks me down. It had come from none other than Ginny Weasley.

"What do you think you're doing?" I holler at her, pushing myself up off the stone floor.

"Punishing a traitor!" she yells and fires another curse. I wave it away with a flick of my wrist.

"Don't waste your time fighting me, Weasley. You'll just lose, and I'd really hate having to kill you," I caution venomously.

Ginny surprises me then. She walks straight up to me until our faces are only inches apart. She looks me up and down, then she smiles.

"I'd like to see you try," she dares.

"Last chance," I warn, taking a few steps back.

She stands her ground. I shrug and let a coy smile cross my face. The power is intoxicating me. I can feel the Dark Queen inside of me literally screaming for her death. My powers are consuming me. I want to kill her. At that instant, I want nothing more in the entire world.

"Nice knowing you, blood traitor."

I snap my fingers, and she drops to the floor. She’s dead.

For a second I feel gratified; invincible.

In the next second the remorse hits me like a train at full speed. I shouldn't have done that. I came to save Draco, not take a life.

Shit.

I grab the velvet bag around my neck and take out the murky, blue vial. I've only used it twice before, once to save Draco and once for Harry.

Might as well save Ginny, after all, she is innocent. She doesn't realize she's fighting for the wrong side.

I lean over her and let a single drop of potion fall into her mouth. She sits up faster than I had expected, gasping for air, arms flailing. Her elbow hits the vial out of my hand and sends it crashing to the ground. It shatters into thousands of tiny pieces, and the potion splatters across the ground.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" I scream at her.

I run over to the potion and attempt to fix the bottle. I do every spell I can think of and try with all of my might to will the mess to be repaired.

It doesn’t work.

Not even my powers as Dark Queen can replace the contents and the shards of glass. My ultimate safety net is destroyed.

I arise from the floor, feeling a heavy burden settle in my chest. An indescribable sense of loss is panging inside my heart. I have to find Draco and get him out of here safely, before it is too late.

"Evelyn! Come quick!"

I whip my head around to see Marissa running towards me. She looks absolutely terrified.

"What is it?" I ask, feeling panic clutch at me.

"Draco's been hurt!" she replies, grabbing my wrist and pulling me towards the other end of the entrance hall.

Oh no, I'm too late!

Marissa leads me directly to Draco. The entire entrance hall has grown still. A circle of Death Eaters and good wizards alike has crowded around him. Upon seeing me, they part quickly and allow me to enter the middle of the circle where Draco is lying still on the ground.

"Drake?" I whisper, crouching down over him.

His eyes open slowly, weakly, the once vivid crimson fading with every second. He is bleeding profusely out of his back where the curse had apparently struck.

"Evelyn? I told you to go home," he states, voice raspy and cracking from the pain.

"I couldn't stay away," I say, eyes beginning to fill with tears. "I knew you would need me."

He chuckles, but winces from the pain and clutches his side. I pull up his shirt to reveal another nasty wound.

"Oh Merlin, Drake," I gasp.

"I'll be fine, Evelyn," Draco reassures me, though his eyes are telling a different story. They are almost blue again, the icy pools I'd once loved so dearly.

"You're not fine, and you know it," I tell him, taking his hand in mine.

"Everything will be okay," he whispers soothingly, squeezing my hand softly, "Just get the potion."

My heart sinks. I want to die.

"Draco...I...well I don't exactly..." I choke, my voice getting caught in my throat.

"What, Love?" he asks.

"It got broken while I was fighting. It's gone," I inform him, hanging my head in shame. My tears are cascading freely down my face now, a feeling of terror surrounding me.

Draco doesn't yell. He doesn't even look scared. He simple lifts our hands up and caresses my cheek with the back of his hand.

"Look at me, Evelyn," he orders.

I oblige, letting my eyes soak up his face while I still have the chance.

"Just take care of James, okay?" he whispers.

"Drake, don't talk like that, I'm not going to let you die," I cry, sobbing harder than ever. With every convulsion of my body, it feels as if my very soul is cracking open.

"You have to. Just promise me you'll take care of him. Teach him to be a Malfoy, all right?"

I nod, "I promise."

Draco smirks at me, his fading eyes glinting mischievously.

"Do you remember last summer, when you came to the Manor to stay with us?"

I think back to the day when Blaise and I had left our townhouse in New York. We'd gone by Floo Powder to the Manor. I wore my favorite Kenmare Krestels jersey and got knocked out my Goyle playing Quidditch. Narcissa had bought me a gorgeous dress to wear to a party later that night.

"Yes, I remember," I reply.

"Right before we went to play Quidditch?" he asks, "Do you remember what I said to you?"

I shake my head.

"I said, I'll have you yet, Zabini. You didn't believe me. And here we are, nearly two years later, and I have you."

"Of course you have me, Draco. You always will. I'll always be yours," I whisper, placing a kiss on his lips.

"I love you, Evelyn," Draco whispers to me.

"I love you too."

Draco squeezes my hand one last time before closing his eyes. I feel his hand go limp in mine, and I know that he is gone.

I let out a scream, sobbing all the while. My voice cracks, my body trembles, my emotions are incapable of being contained. I can’t stand the pain. It is the most excruciating feeling I've ever experienced. Worse than when Voldemort had tortured me. Worse than when I received my powers.

I punch the floor, feeling my knuckles crunch and splinter in the process. But I can’t feel the pain from their breaking. I can’t even feel the embarrassment under the scrutiny and pity of a thousand onlookers. The gut-wrenching loneliness in my soul is all that I can feel. I lay my head on Draco's chest and cry and wail in my despair. I would give anything to hear his heart beating again, to feel it pulsing beneath his shirt.

I am empty, hopeless, and entirely alone. My whole world has just left me for all eternity, and there is absolutely nothing I could do about it.

Or was there?

My head clears, and I feel sanity pulling me back to Earth. I remember my mother, her words.

"All you have to do is think of something and it will happen, there are no boundaries to what you can do. You have as much power as your imagination can conjure."

"Anything I can imagine," I whisper to myself.

"Evie?" Sophie whispers from somewhere behind me.

I ignore her. I ignore everyone and close my eyes.

"Anything I can imagine..." I allow my voice to trail off.

I imagine Heaven, the way Draco had described it to me the first time he had died. I imagine him in the meadow of flowers, surrounded by forests as far as the eye could see. Then, I imagine him coming back to me.

"Don't do it," a voice warns in my head, "Bringing him back will bring you serious consequences."

"What do you mean?"
I inquire.

"You're cheating death, Darling," my mother warns, "He will want a trade for Draco's life. He won't give it back willingly, not this time.”

Her warnings arrive too late. I watch the blood trickle back into Draco's body. I stare, amazed, as his wounds heal themselves.

Everyone behind me gasps. Death Eaters let out astonished whispers about my brilliance. Good wizards mutter about the treachery of Dark magic.

Draco inhales deeply and sits up quickly. His eyes are a deep crimson again.

I feel my heart leap with joy. A warm sensation soars through my body. I feel fully at peace with the world, all feelings of loss and despair have vanished in an instant.

"Evelyn, how did you..." he begins.

"I wanted it, so I made it happen," I whisper.

Draco kisses me passionately on the lips, and as he does so, I feel weak.

"Drake," I whisper, breaking the kiss.

"Shh…" he moans, trying to pull me back to him.

"Death wouldn't let you go without a trade," I state, understanding my mother's warning.

"What do you mean, Evie?" he asks, suddenly alarmed.

"I can't lead our people to victory. If I lead the Dark Army we'll lose the war. This is what's best."

"Evelyn, you don't mean..."

I cut him off, growing extremely dizzy, vision blurring. I fall into his arms. It takes all the strength that I have left to gaze into his eyes one last time.

"Is Heaven really as nice as you say, Drake?"

"Yes," he whispers, kissing me on the forehead.

"Will I like it there?" I ask.

"You'll love it," he replies, kissing me again.

"Good," I whisper, closing my eyes and taking in the sensation of his strong arms being wrapped tightly around me. If I would have been able to choose my death, it would have been in his arms.

And it is.

DRACO'S P.O.V.

We lost the war. And I lost everything. Harry killed Voldemort without even really trying. A simple Expelliarmus did away with him.

I'm expected to secretly carry on Voldemort's legacy. The Death Eaters that escaped the clutches of the Ministry and "good" side are hiding out at the Manor. It's safe here.

Harry Potter cleared my name.

I don't know why. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that his sister loved me so much; that she died for me. Or maybe it’s that she had the compassion to bring back Ginny Weasley.

Either way, I granted him permission to come that day. The day that we laid her to rest next to Steven and Rebecca Zabini.

It had only been a week, but it felt like an eternity.

I hadn’t been able to look at James. His piercing, green eyes are exactly like his mother's. Every time I caught a glimpse of them, I got a torturous pain in my heart, and my guts twist around themselves.

Evelyn was my life, so what am I living for now?

"C'mon, mate," Monty said, knocking on my door. "It's time to go."

I nodded and crossed the floor to where he stood. He patted my shoulder, and we apparated to the graveyard.

The funeral was beautiful. Evelyn would have loved it. Everyone in attendance sincerely mourned her death, something that couldn't be said about most Death Eaters.

When the ceremony was over, we drove to the gravesite, and her casket was lowered into the ground. I, as the new Dark Lord, had the duty of placing the dirt back into the hole.

I couldn’t do it.

Blaise did it for me, though I could tell it killed him with each flick of his wand. He buried his own sister, because he knew that my heartache was worse than his own.

That painful day occurred an entire year ago.

To this day, he remains the best friend I've ever had.

ONE YEAR LATER AFTER THE WAR

"All you have to do is think of something and it will happen, there are no boundaries to what you can do. You have as much power as your imagination can conjure."

"Get me out of here," I whisper to my powers, running my fingers through the tall grass. "Anywhere but here. I need to be with my son. I need Draco. Please," I beg them.

I leave the meadow and awake with a jolt in complete blackness. My fingertips search for something familiar.

"I'm in dress," I whisper, feeling some more to gain a better sense of my surroundings.

I outstretch my arms, or at least attempt to. I can only reach out a few inches in each direction. My prison has plush, velvety walls.

"Lumos!" I shout, not knowing if it will do any good or not. My prison fills with light.

"At least I still have my powers," I groan.

I look around, turning my head side to side. I’m in a coffin. I scream.

The memories come flooding back to me.

Draco's death.

My pain.

My sacrifice.

Heaven.

I feel a new sense of excitement fill me.

"I'm ALIVE!" I cry joyously. The jubilant energy in my body literally surges out of me. It blasts the lid off my coffin and six feet of earth into the air. The pieces of dirt and wood soar through the sky and land outside of my grave.

I use my powers to levitate myself out of the hole and inhale deeply. The fresh air is the most wondrous smell in the universe. Of that, I am sure.

I take in my surroundings and realize that Draco had buried me next to Steven and Rebecca. I silently thank him for that and pay my respects to my adopted parents.

"Sorry I couldn't stay and sleep with you guys any longer," I whisper, "But I still have some things to do."

I smirk and apparate myself to the Manor where I know Draco will be. I find myself landing on the floor of one of the dining rooms at the head of a table.

A Death Eater meeting is in process. Upon my entrance, all talking ceases, and they stare at me in terror and disbelief. Draco is directly across from me at the other end of the long table. He'd been taking a drink of wine, but chokes on it at the sight of me, and his glass falls to the marble floor and shatters.

Monty is seated at his left.

He begins chuckling, causing everyone to temporarily look at him instead of me. He laughs even harder at their stares and picks up his glass of wine.

Then, he raises it to me in traditional, toasting fashion.

"Long live the Queen!"