Untitled

Morning

It is so cold outside, and it’s only September. I was waiting on my front porch waiting for Kaleb to show up and walk me to school; it was pitch black outside and the face in the darkness kept creeping up on me. I was determined to not let myself be afraid so my emotions quickly transferred over to annoyed. Oh well I guess that’s what I get for living so far up north. Despite all my griping, I really did love Boston. Usually I was the one who loved all the brisk air and sun of Boston. I loved my house. It was one of those old town houses that I loved because they were so different from the more modern ones that all looked the same. No, on our street every house was special and different.
I began to relax as I breathed deeply and felt the chill air in my throat. Every thing was fine again just like before.
“Laney!” called a voice from down the road. I got up and hefted my backpack up onto my shoulders.
“Yeah,” I called back to Kaleb “I’m right here Kaleb” I said stepping out of the darkness so he could see me properly. Kaleb was wearing his usual jeans t-shirt and sweater ensemble.
“Hey, Kaleb” I said smiling happily “you’re looking wide awake as usual.” it was our regular greeting. Kaleb responded by lifting his eyes from the sidewalk to look at smile and me. I smiled wider and fell into step next to him so we could walk to school. As I did this, I bumped him playfully in the shoulder.
He bumped me back and looked over at me again “ Why are you so wide awake!” he said feigning anger and walking a little faster, using his long legs to punish me for being so upbeat at this early hour. I had to double my speed to keep up with his stride.
“Kaleb!” I cried out, as I slowed down to my regular pace “Don’t be a jerk sleepy head!”, he backtracked over to where I was standing with a pout on my face.
“Weirdo!” he said affectionately before messing up my hair and starting to walk again at a regular speed. I mumbled something about creeps with freakishly long legs and followed.
Kaleb always made things better for me. In third grade when no one liked me because I used long and made up words, it also might have been because that was my I can dress as randomly as I want because moms still asleep when I leave from school phase. I was a social outcast from an early age. I would have been really lonely except for the fact that on my second day of school, when I was sitting on my own at recess digging holes in the kick ball field with a plastic spoon, Kaleb walked up to me. I ignored him at first when he took out a plastic spoon of his own and started to dig a hole next to mine. I had been teased earlier that morning by the miniature Barbie clones for wearing my black and green striped arm socks and didn’t feel like talking. Kaleb was the quiet kid who was tall for his age and ridiculed mercilessly for it because his jeans were always too short. I started feeling bad for him because I was miserable and I'd only been there for two days he’d been here his whole life. So, I gave him a few tips on hole digging and we’ve been together ever since.
Of course, I was still flaunting my individualistic ways in high school. Today I was wearing a black skirt and a P!ATD t-shirt with the infamous black and green arm socks and purple chucks.
I stopped walking, and Kaleb looked back at me
“Why’d you stop weirdo?” he said with a lopsided grin.
“I just realized something!”
“What?” he asked with a concerned look on his face.
“It’s Friday! It’s Friday!” I said happily while doing my infamous happy dance. He laughed loudly, hooked his arm around my shoulders and towed me toward the school building. I was smiling all the way, up until I walked through the doors
Our school was Berkley High School. It was a regular high school, long halls lots of classrooms, evil cheerleaders, the works. Sadly, this fluorescent lit jail is where I spent most of my childhood years. I sighed dramatically causing Kaleb to look back at me curiously. I just shrugged my shoulders and kept walking.
“Bye Kaleb,” I said as I turned down the another hall
“See ya,” he said with a salute and kept walking.
About three girls turned their heads to watch him walk away. I smirked, would I would have given to go back in time to tell the tall quiet kid who had accepted weird little me that he would be handsome one day. I started walking again on my own
Today was going to be just another normal day. I held back another dramatic sigh; I was having more and more of those lately. Nothing exiting ever happened in Boston, except the Boston tea party and the Boston massacre. Okay nothing exciting ever happens in Boston post revolution.
I smiled at myself as I turned into ninth grade accelerated biology.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment on my work. I thrive on comments!