It Was You From the Start

I Want To Be Your Friend

I walked to the passenger side of the car, opened the front door, and got in. I pulled Toby onto my lap. Dad glared as he saw Toby wouldn't be going in his crate.

"Dad, he won't hurt the car. If he has to go, I'll tell you. The airport isn't far anyway. I don't know why you're worrying."

"He can't go on the plane like that, Lor."

"I know, Dad. He'll be in his crate then. It's a long flight. He'll be in that stupid thing the whole time. Give him a little air."

"Okay." He put the car in reverse and started driving to the airport. "One drop of pee in this car, and you'll pay to have the whole thing cleaned."

"Dad, you know I'm not happy about this whole thing in the first place, so I don't know why you want to push this unhappiness evern further."

"I'm not trying to. I just don't want tyou to have to pay your money to have the stupid rental car cleaned."

"You know they clean the cars regardless."

"Great." He shook his head and focused more on the road.

"Dad, you keep saying that you're so happy that I'm coming to live with you, but right now you don't really seem happy."

"It's not your fault, Lor." He sighed. I cringed.

"Alright then." I pulled out my iPhone, plugged the headphones in and stuck them in my ears.

"What is that?"

"This?" I asked him.

"Yeah."

"It's called an iPhone. It has music, a phone, internet, texting, a camera-"

"All on that little thing?"

"Amazing the technology these days." I said stressing the sarcasm.

"Why do you say all those nasty things?"

"Because I don't really care."

"I'm hoping that will change. I want to be your friend, Lor."

"Okay, Dad, let's get one thing straight. I don't like being called Lor."

"But I've always called you that."

"And I've always hated you calling me that."

"So what do I call you then?"

"Lorelei or Rory."

"Okay, then. I have a feeling you're going to like the kids on the reservation. They are friendly. Especially Billy's boy, but he's been going through a rough patch. It's not my business to tell, so I won't. Maybe you guys will be friends."

"Maybe..." I said, but doubting it all the same.

"You know with that attitude, you're not making the move any easier on yourself."

"I'm sorry it wasn't your best friend who just died. Maybe I should be a little more cautions of your feelings."

"Now wait a minute. Your mother and I didn't get along very well, but I still cared for her."

"Apparently not enough."

"That's it. You're grounded."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's another one of those weird endings but there's more to this convo...it's just long enough for two chapters so i'm splitting it...